Gingerbread cake/loaf

korbo, Dec 2, 1:37am
I love a slice of buttered ginger loaf, but all the recipes I have searched, seem to have a heap of gold syrup in them, plus sugar.
The one in todays paper has 3/4 cup g.s. and 1/2 cup sugar. As I am a diabetic, how/what could I do to use less g.s.?thanks

245sam, Dec 2, 2:43am
korbo, I am not diabetic and neither is my DH however I do have a copy of the "Bee Healthy Cookbook" which was produced by Diabetes Life Education and it has a recipe for Ginger Loaf that uses only 1 tbsp golden syrup along with 1 dssp artificial sweetener, and both white and wholemeal flours. I have not made this loaf but am happy to post it for you if you think it may be helpful? :-))

sarahb5, Dec 2, 3:06am
You’d need some syrup to get the dark stickiness but you could use artificial sweetener instead of sugar (the natvia one seems good) and 1/2 sugar free maple flavoured syrup with 1/4 cup of molasses

korbo, Dec 2, 3:13am
. thank you that would be lovely

valentino, Dec 2, 3:39am
Korbo, I too have been looking for some diabetic recipes and have short listed some to try, perhaps may interest you too. Sure, some have some sugar in them but is greatly reduced from others hence why they are noted.

Cheers and all the best.

http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/gingerbread-gingerbread-cake-48219 https://amyshealthybaking.com/blog/2015/12/02/clean-classic-gingerbread-with-maple-glaze/

245sam, Dec 2, 3:39am
Here you are korbo.

GINGER LOAF from “Bee Healthy Cookbook”
1 cup each of white flour and wholemeal flour
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp mixed spice
1¼ cups reduced fat milk
1 tbsp each of margarine and golden syrup
1 tsp baking soda
1 dssp artificial sweetener
1 egg, lightly beaten

Combine flours and spices.
Heat milk, margarine and golden syrup. Stir in the baking soda. Pour over the dry ingredients. Add the artificial sweetener and egg. Do not over mix.
Place in a loaf tin lined with grease proof paper.
Bake at 150ºC for about 1-1¼ hours, or until a skewer comes out clean.
Cut into 15 slices. :-))

Edited to add the following note that I found at the beginning of the "Bee Healthy Cookbook".
"Where recipes require the use of an artificial sweetened, unless otherwise stated, a liquid sweetener is recommended. Levels suggested in these recipes can be adapted to your taste". :-))

korbo, Nov 27, 12:50pm
thank you, tho I do not have artificial sweetner. can you use plain suga?