Does anyone know how to bottle asparagus?

trademeandme, Feb 10, 5:37am
Could you please give the process - I'm supposing that it is the overflow method? TIA. Have to go out soon so will check in later.

lmarsh, Feb 11, 6:59am
x1
I've got this recipe but I've yet to try it

Pickled Asparagus

5kg fresh asparagus, washed
2 onions, sliced
several pinches of mustard seeds
2 cups white vinegar
2 1/2 cups water
2 teaspoons mustard seeds, extra
2 tablespoons salt
1 tablespoon pickling spice (in a muslin or gauze bag)

Blanch asparagus for two minutes, then drain and refresh under running cold water. Place an onion slice and a pinch of mustard seeds into the bottom of each sterilised jar. Pack asparagus spears upright into each jar. Combine vinegar and water, mustard seeds, salt and pickling spice in a saucepan and boil for 15 minutes. Remove bag and discard. Pour brine over asparagus and seal jars using raw-pack method by placing jars in a large saucepan of water, bringing to the boil ans simmering for 1 hour. Leave to cool to create a vacuum seal. Store in a cool, dark place. This asparagus can be kept for up to a year.

peejay3, Feb 12, 5:31am
Do not use the overflow method, they need to be processed either in an agee preserver or large pot after putting in jars. Vege can be a bit dodgy as they don't have a high acid content. They would probably be ok pickled but wouldn't taste the same.

bees939, Feb 12, 6:39am
If you're not wedded to preserving, i'd go with freezing - i've always had better results with freezing than bottling.

guest, May 15, 3:48pm
can asparagus be preserved in oil?