Broad Bean?

grouch, Nov 2, 10:46pm
I have Broad Beans in my freezer which I would like to use up. Have taken some out and put in a bowl to thaw but I would like to know the best way to cook them. I know to take them out of their cases and boil them.

harrislucinda, Nov 3, 1:48am
did you freeze with cases on ? never heard of any one doing that I pod all mine balance then freeze

245sam, Nov 3, 1:57am
bobcat_6, I don't think grouch is referring to the pods but to the actual skins on the beans - personally I cook (and we eat) the beans with those skins still on although I am aware that some people who do not enjoy/like broad beans are more likely to enjoy/like the beans without that skin that can be tough depending on the age of the beans when they were picked. :-))

grouch, Nov 3, 4:20am
Yes I mean the actual skins I have left on. I did it that way as I didnt think they were really young when I picked them. I usually get to them when quite small.

awoftam, Nov 3, 6:05am
OMG broad beans are so yum. Take the skins off and then cook to your heart's delight - I don't have a specific recipe - google is your friend.

nauru, Nov 3, 6:08am
They are very nice unccoked in salads, just defrost and peel off the skins. If I cook them, I usually give steam them for 2 minutes in the MW, I don't like them mushy.

samanya, Nov 3, 8:31am
I have heaps in the freezer & the next lot are coming on . the last years I podded them& just blanched & & bunged them in without stripping of the outside casing of each bean . so can I take the skins off frozen Broad beans after freezing?

awoftam, Nov 3, 9:29am
Yes, definitely. Its a bit of a pain but a great thing to do sitting around in the kitchen with a glass or wine and a natter with a friend or 3 while cooking dinner.

samanya, Nov 4, 5:20am
Sounds like my kind of scenario!

mottly, Nov 4, 5:31am
I love mine whipped around the frying pan with head of garlic, onions, salt n pepper and bacon bits. Yummo on a nice toast :)

uli, Nov 4, 5:38am
What's a "head" of garlic?
Those top bulbs?

anne1955, Nov 4, 6:32am
I do a three bean stirs fry to kill for lol came out of a book years ago adapted by myself. And Broad Beans was something I hated as a child father grew them by the truck load and we where a family of eat or starve actually we didn't get choice we had an empty plate at end of meals and that was that.
Peel broad beans even frozen and yes a pain if I grow I will do prior to freezing now days. 500g 3 types of beans I use green any sort fresh or frozen, 500g broad beans peeled fresh or frozen and to add a different colour I use 500g butter beans normally frozen must try and grow one day. If other beans need cutting to make same size sort of, as the broad beans I get real fancy and cut at angles. Really out there stuff, stir fry in oil of choice nice oil what ever you have. I toss in chilli or garlic or both lol in season I toss in asparagus and I even cut that on the angle, be adventurous table spoon peanut butter semi sartay (sp) it I can cook very well but spelling never feed me.
Just add the flavours u like.

davidt4, Nov 4, 6:41am
It is the whole clump of bulbs - the unit by which garlic is usually displayed.

unknowndisorder, Nov 4, 6:41am
You had me thinking what sartay meant. (Got there)

Sauté (maybe you can still edit the post) :)

I miss having someone spell phoenetically, as my best friend growing up in our teens, did. She always had me giggling :)

davidt4, Nov 4, 8:07am
I think she might mean satay (because of the reference to peanut butter).

daarhn, Nov 4, 8:53am
Broad beans for falafel

mottly, Nov 4, 7:56pm
sorry, predictive text, supposed to be a'heap' of garlic

uli, Nov 5, 12:16am
The mind boggles - now the garlic has collapsed in a "heap"?

Years ago when English was a language and not txt speak - we had a "bulb" of garlic and that separated into "cloves" of garlic.

And for those that are not familiar with garlic growing there are garlic varieties that have "heads" and they are small bulbs that grow into a big garlic bulb within 2 years.

davidt4, Nov 5, 12:30am
Actually, "heap" meaning large quantity isn't text speak, it's a common English colloquialism dating back to the 14th century.

mottly, Jul 19, 8:51am
exactly ;)