Bristles on pork skin ?

teddy147, Aug 10, 10:38pm
Mr Teddy brought a piece of pork for dinner last week, Ive just noticed the bristles on in, can I still make crackling out of it ? Im thinking the grill should burn them off ?

illusion_, Aug 10, 10:46pm
burn them off with a blowtorch . or shave them off (very sharp knife)

or you could just leave them but not quite as nice end product

teddy147, Aug 10, 11:05pm
they are in the skin ?

pickles7, Aug 10, 11:15pm
nothing worse than a mouth full of bristles . I have bought pork cracklings in a bag and come across bristles, couldn't eat them. I would shave them off for sure.

fifie, Aug 10, 11:21pm
x1
Grab a disposable razor and shave them off, or take piece meat outside and singe off with a blow torch.

sampa, Aug 11, 12:04am
Smile sweetly at Mr Teddy and tell him his mate needs a shave before putting in an appearance at the dinner table and that's his job to deal with.

rainrain1, Aug 11, 6:21am
burn off with a lighter or matches, you don't need a blow torch

dibble35, Aug 11, 6:35am
LOl, I got given some home kill pork, it was lovely tasting but it too had bristles. and some of the pork strips had nipples on them. I couldnt eat them like that, was grossing me out so had to cut them off pre cooking.

beaker59, Aug 11, 7:05am
Nipples are the best bit :)

I burn off any bristles its not that hard, think of it as a reminder that that piece of meat was once a real animal.

awoftam, Aug 11, 7:49am
Yip, I hear you.

porka1, Aug 11, 8:11am
Could try burning them off with meths.Pour into a shallow dish and light.
That's the way we use to do chickens after they were dry plucked years ago.

illusion_, Aug 11, 10:27am
Perhaps Mr teddy should cook it too

teddy147, Aug 11, 9:58pm
HAHA Mr Teddy cant cook apart from bakebeans on toast, the crackling was fine I just grilled it off and the bristles burnt off.

sampa, Aug 12, 6:22am
Glad you got it sorted Mrs Teddy, hope it was delicious. :) Lucky Mr Teddy to have such a great wife that cooks so well for him!

uli, Aug 12, 9:23am
Ummm - where do your hair originate from?
Your bones maybe?

sampa, Aug 12, 9:39am
Bristles often appear in inopportune places.

People deal with it.

teddy147, Aug 13, 4:25am
thats not what I was asking ! there always one isnt there !

uli, Jan 3, 9:57am
Your own post 3 above.
Answer - yes they are in the skin.

You can either scrape them off or burn them off, but the hair roots will still be in the skin. In fact ALL crackling has the hair roots still in the skin.

Or you can do what I do when I kill a pig: skin it as you would a goat. No hair at all - and also no crackling.