Use for cauliflower

heathermay1, Jun 15, 11:49pm
I need ideas to use up cauliflowers Have made enough relish and pickle to sink a ship please help I hate any waste especially fresh out of the garden .

kirmag, Jun 15, 11:51pm
Freeze it.

samanya, Jun 16, 12:05am
I use it for this . you'd never know it is cauliflower.
http://www.theluckypennyblog.com/2013/02/the-best-cauliflower-crust-pizza.html
Once the base is made it can be frozen.
Plenty more recipes here.

valentino, Jun 16, 12:08am
Pickle it like the Greeks.
Add a few other veges to give a bit of variety.

A Jamie Oliver recipe using the pickling liquid and the marinade with Cauli etc. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/jamie-oliver/amazing-pickled-and-marinated-vegetables-recipe.html This is my favourite or one of them anyway. but note the ideas. http://realgreekrecipes.blogspot.co.nz/2008/03/traditional-greek-pickles-toursi.html

Just a couple to give you ideas, hopefully.

Cheers

motorbo, Jun 16, 2:25am
makes a great pizza base as said above, also yum in mac cheese where you do it half pasta half cauliflower, also good raw with hummus and one of my fave soups is cauliflower soup

awoftam, Jun 16, 7:40am
Gawd I posted some recipes here not that long ago - search and you may find them. One was for a cauli soup which is divine and another is for a raw cauli salad with indian spices and almonds which is delicious as well.

awoftam, Jun 16, 7:41am
Found the soup:

Here it is - its from Dish magazine.

2T butter
1 onion peeled and chopped
3 large cloves garlic, crushed
2 sprigs fresh thyme
1 large cauli, broken into florets
1.2 litres chicken stock (I use Simon Gault's its awesome)
half cup cream
half cup milk
half cup grated Parmesan
quarter teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg

Melt butter in a large saucepan, add onion and season. Cook over a gentle heat 10 - 12 minutes until soft but not coloured.

Add garlic and thyme and cook another 2 minutes.

Add cauli and stock, cover and bring to boil then simmer for 20 minutes or until the cauli is easily pierced with a knife.

Add the cram, milk, Parmesan and nutmeg and cook for a futher five minutes.

Remove from heat and blend in a food processor or with a sick blender until smooth and creamy. Test for seasoning and add more salt, pepper or nutmeg to taste.

YUMMO!

The recipe states to serve this with blue cheese toasts:

Preheat oven to 180 C
Slice a french stick on the diagonal into 1cm thick slices. Place on a baking tray and bake for 10 minutes until just crispy and golden.

When ready to serve, spread blue cheese on 12 slices and top with walnuts. Bake until golden and bubbling.

Serve the soup hot, with a swirl of cream, some extra thyme leaves and the hot toast. Serves 6.

(This is a great entree to serve at a dinner party as mst of the work can be done well in advance. Its a fav of mine).

Enjoy.

nauru, Jun 16, 8:34am
It makes a great alternative to rice or cous cous. You just process the cauli until it looks like rice and then cook. I make a fried rice dish using cauliflower instead of rice.

bev00, Jun 16, 11:28am
Creamy cauliflower soup

Here you go.

50g butter, 1 Tbs olive oil, 1 large onion, chopped, 2 shallots, chopped
2 celery sticks, chopped, 4 cloves garlic, peeled, 700g cauliflower, washed and finely chopped,4 and 1/2 cups of good quality chicken or vegi stock, 1 and 1/2 cups cream, plus extra to serve, 1 and 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg, 1 tsp ground white pepper, small pinch of cayenne pepper or chili (optional). 3/4 cup freshly grated parmesan, squeeze of lemon juice, chopped fresh chives to serve.

In a large soup pot, heat butter and oil over a medium heat. Add shallots, celery and garlic. Cook stiring every now and then for about 15 mins until soft. Add cauliflower and stock. Cover adn simmer for about 15-20 mins until cauliflower is soft. Add cream, nutmeg, pepper and cayenne. Simmer for another 5 mins. Stir through cheese to melt. Add lemon to taste before seasoning with salt. Ladle soup into bowls, scatter with chives and add a splash of extra cream.

Edited by kiwitrish at 11:39 am, Sun 15 Jun

kiwitrish (227 227 positive feedback) 11:37 a

bev00, Jun 19, 12:38pm
another round .

blb71, Jun 19, 6:02pm
Oh that sounds so yum. I am going to try it this weekend

samanya, Jun 20, 12:55am
I love it.
I've often wondered if I could skip the steaming bit . might try it next time. As i see it the cauli is whizzed to rice size so surely that would cook without pre cooking?

gennie, May 8, 6:54pm
Easiest super fast yummy soup. Chop up about 6 rashes of bacon and cook in the bottom of alarge pot. When cooked add a litre of cchicken stock and a head of cauliflower cut up. Boil until cauliflower is soft. Puree and serve.