Destitute Gourmet No-nonsense naan bread Recipe

timbooo, May 6, 8:33am
Hi there
Just wondering if someone wouldn't mind posting The Destitute Gourmet (Sophie Gray) recipe called No nonsense naan bread recipe please! Have mislaid my copy of it. Think it is from her" More Stunning Food from Small Change" Book. Sadly my local library no longer has the book and google was of no help.
Thanks

245sam, May 6, 8:46am
Destitute Gournet Sophie Gray’s NO-NONSENSE NAAN BREAD
Serves 6.

1¾ cups plain flour
1 tsp each of baking powder and sugar
½ tsp salt
¼ cup melted butter or oil
1 egg
water
85ml natural yoghurt
garlic butter to brush on
cumin or paprika to sprinkle for garnish

Sift the flour and baking powder into a bowl. Add the sugar and salt, and mix. Make a well in the centre, pour in the butter or oil, yoghurt, egg and enough water to form a soft dough. Mix, then knead gently on a floured bench for 2-4 minutes. Cover with a damp cloth and leave to double in size.
Knead lightly, then divide into 8-10 pieces. Roll out to less than 1 cm thick. Brush with garlic butter or oil and sprinkle on spices such as cumin or paprika.
Bake at 190°C until well risen and golden - around 12 minutes. :-))

timbooo, May 6, 8:52am
Awesome! Thank you very much for taking the time to post it! I Had spent part of tonight turning my house upside down looking for the recipe to no avail. Very much appreciated :)

2spotties, May 7, 12:16am
Would these freeze well do you think once cooked then reheat them when needed like store bought ones?

eljayv, May 7, 4:12am
So what makes it double in size since there is no yeast?

eljayv, May 7, 4:13am
Will it double in size even without yeast?

245sam, May 7, 4:28am
Good point eljayv, I haven't made the Naan Bread however I have doubled checked the recipe and there is definitely no yeast in the recipe, only baking powder - the recipe is actually accompanied with this note "This dough is yeast free so is an excellent recipe for those on yeast-free diets". :-))

eljayv, May 7, 4:33am
Maybe that instruction was included by mistake, but you never know. I would say just don't wait too long for it to double in size.

squeakygirl, May 8, 4:31am

indijack, May 9, 10:19am
I would think the raising agents would be the yeasts in the yoghurt. ?

beebs, May 10, 8:48am
I leave scones to raise before baking. any raising agent and water kicks off the raising process

davidt4, May 10, 8:55am
I don't think yoghurt contains any yeasts unless it has been contaminated with them.

darlingmole, Aug 3, 10:19am
roti is MUCH easier - plain flour and boiling water . mix to a dough consistency, knead it, cut into pieces, roll it out and dry fry it ;-)