Looking for a tasty sugar free tomato sauce recipe

jan2242, Sep 2, 12:03am
Love the bought stuff but want to cut down on the sugar. Has anyone a tangy one to share that is sugar free or low in sugar please? Thanks

awoftam, Sep 2, 12:12am
2 x 440 gram tins whole pealed tomatoes
1/2 onion, chopped
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
1 T rice malt syrup (or 2 t granulated stevia)
1 t each of cinnamon, ground allspice, ground cloves and cayenne pepper
sea salt and fresh ground black pepper

bring all ingredients to the boil, stir well then reduce heat and simmer for 50 minutes or until the sauce reduces by almost half and is quite thick. Blend with a stick blender or food processor. If still too runny for your liking return to heat to reduce.

Will keep for up to a month in the fridge. Freezes well too.

Enjoy!

nauru, Sep 2, 7:21am
I make my own, everyone prefers it to shop bought and it's really easy. I have a recipe that uses tomato paste as the main ingredient. If you want me to post it let me know and I can look it out for you.

timturtle, Sep 2, 7:46am
Yes please. Thanks

nauru, Sep 2, 8:11am
Not sugar free as OP wanted but a good recipe.
Tomato Ketchup
170g tomato paste
¼ cup corn syrup or golden syrup
1 tablsp sugar
½ cup vinegar
¼ cup water
¼ teasp onion powder
¼ teasp garlic powder
1 teasp salt
Combine all ingredients in a medium pan, whisk until smooth. Put onto a medium heat and bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes, stirring often. Remove from heat and cover. Pot and seal when cool.

awoftam, Sep 2, 8:27am
You could use brown rice syrup in place of the golden or corn syrup and dextrose (glucose) for the sugar and it would be fructose free, which is the main thing.

awoftam, Sep 3, 7:04am
You are welcome, OP

nauru, Sep 3, 9:10am
[quote.=awoftam]You could use brown rice syrup in place of the golden or corn syrup and dextrose (glucose) for the sugar and it would be fructose free, which is the main thing.[/quote]

Thanks for the tip, I always try to cut the sugar if I can in any recipe

awoftam, Sep 3, 9:33am
Thanks for the tip, I always try to cut the sugar if I can in any recipe[/quote]

Neither are as sweet as table sugar that contains fructose so bear that in mind when using as you may need to get used to them. Brown rice syrup has the most awesome nutty taste and is sweet enough for me. Dextrose, which is glucose, is about one third as sweet as table sugar which is dextrose and fructose. Basically I use rice syrup in p/ace of honey, maple syrup etc and dextrose in place of sugar and Bob's your Uncle.

nauru, Sep 3, 10:04am
Thanks awoftam, I've have used rice syrup before, my daughter uses it all the time. We don't like anything too sweet anyway so it would work for us.

awoftam, Sep 3, 10:08am
Apologies, I sounded a bit like the Fructose Police.

valentino, Sep 4, 1:08am
It depends on what you having as the main.

A simple one.
1 tbsp. oil
1 small onion very finely chopped
1 clove garlic crushed and finely chopped
1/2 tsp ground paprika
3 ripe tomatoes very finely chopped
1/4 cup finely shredded fresh basil.

Heat oil in pan, add onion, garlic and paprika, cook over medium heat for 3 minutes or until soft. Add tomato and reduce heat, cook for 10 minutes stirring occasionally. Stir in basil ready to use.

A Rich Tomato Sauce
Heat 2 tbsp. olive oil in a heavy-based pan, add 1 finely chopped onion and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes or until onion is lightly golden, stirring occasionally. Add 2 cloves of crushed and chopped garlic and cook for a minute. Add 1 tbsp. red wine vinegar and 1kg red ripe tomatoes which had been peeled and chopped (can use tin tomatoes but be wary if too much juice or liquid, best to add more tin tomatoes than 1 KG tin only), bring to boil then reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered for 25 minutes stirring occasionally. Add 1/4 cup tomato paste, 1 tsp sugar (sorry but is only a tsp), 1 tsp dried basil leaves and 1 tsp dried oregano leaves. Simmer for 15 minutes more stirring often. Ready to use.

Great also as a topping for pizzas or as a sauce for pasta or serve warm with sausages and steak.

Another rich tomato sauce. great with meatballs

When cooking meats especially beef cuts including meatballs, save the cooking fluids - not the oils but the juices, is an excellent starter for this tomato sauce;

Add about 2 to 3 tbsp juices to a pan, add 1 1/2 cups red wine, 1 clove garlic crushed and chopped. Bring to boil then reduce heat to simmer and reduce liquid by half. Strain into medium pan. Add 3/4 cup tomato puree, 1/3 cup chunky tomato sauce (e.g. one of above recipes or a jar) and 2-3 tsp Dijon mustard. Bring to boil, reduce heat to reduce liquid by half again. Gradually whisk in 30g chopped butter. Ready to go.
This one is an extension of a basic tomato sauce, is very yummy.

Cheers

awoftam, Sep 4, 5:01am
OMG valentino I am dribbling.

huntlygirl, Sep 5, 1:10pm
I use Xmas fruit mince instead of sugar works well.

shellk, Nov 12, 10:16am
New world have low cal/low sugar sauces, Jok 'n Al brand and they are yummy. I often buy the sweet chilli sauce and also the plum sauce