Old Fashioned Pressure Cooker

molly37, Aug 16, 6:58am
Found my mothers Ancient Pressure Cooker. Not one which you can time and programme. Its basic. Wind it tight and it has a wee thingee for pressure. Today I attempted to make Rice Pudding in it, but since its been about 35 years since i watched her make it I wasnt sure what to do. I waited till the milk was warm, tightened the lid and waited till the "thingee" started to spin, turned it down, left it for 5 minutes. All up from warm milk to turn off was about 20 mins. So the rice was cooked, but obviously too much milk. Can someone give me some direction how these older models are suppose to work. Say if I was cooking a stew? Thanks

strebor1, Aug 16, 7:12am
I don't have one now, but I know that pressure cookers make more liquid, so it is important to put less liquid than normal cooking, to start with.

robman7, Aug 16, 10:46am
Rice Pudding from original Prestige cooker book 1970's, 50g rice to 500ml milk, 15ml butter, 2 tablespoon sugar, a few drops vanilla essence.
Melt butter in pan to grease it , on high heat bring milk to the boil, put in rice sugar and essence stir until boiling again and beginning to rise. lower heat down to a rolling boil, without altering heat place lid bring to High pressure cook for 12 minutes , then allow the pressure to reduce at room temperature. Stir and place in serving dish, sprinkle with nutmeg and brown under a grill

summersunnz, Aug 16, 11:44am
I've seen pressure cooking books on Trademe - the same Prestige one robman has written of is good with general how-to info too.

molly37, Aug 16, 5:21pm
Yes, thanks have been given that heads up, will definitely have a look.

molly37, Dec 27, 7:46am
Yah, thanks!