Moka pot coffee

pollypoo, Jan 7, 11:59pm
Has any one tried coffee from one of these? Does it taste similar to espresso and is is possible to add milk to make a reasonable latte. Will be in a situation with no power, only gas which makes my coffee maker redundant.

village.green, Jan 8, 12:32am
Or stove top as I call it. That's all we use here at home (except occasionally when need bigger quantities of coffee then we use a plunger). I think they make fantastic coffee. I like flat white or frothy coffee. I make the coffee on gas stove then heat the milk in my microwave then froth in a small coffee plunger, does a very good job too. You could also obviously heat on a pan on the stove too if you wanted to. I haven't tried any other type of milk frother though as I know you can get battery operated ones, or maybe just hot milk.

westigal, Jan 8, 4:11am
Love my little moka, have a capsule machine as well but prefer the moka pot. I use my milk frother for the hot milk. Using the pot seems to make the coffee drinking more of an event. The few seconds to put the pot on to heat, the aroma and anticipation of a great cup of coffee. When I make a moka I actually take the time to sit down and enjoy it, instead of gulping it down in the middle of doing something else. Has almost become a ritual. make sure you get ground espresso coffee
Tastes just like cafe espresso, but without the crema, you'll only get that with a machine, needs pressure to extract it.

if you haven't got a milk frother, use a stick blender in "cold" milk, blend till frothy and then heat for about 1 1/2- 2 mins in micro wave, makes a really good froth.

buzzy110, Jan 8, 4:16am
Are microwaves gas powered now?

pollypoo, Jan 8, 4:37am
Thanks so much everyone. I feel much happier seeing coffee in the future. One last question. Re the grind. Is it for espresso or slightly more coarse but not quite plunger?
Off to buy a pot tomorrow!

wootha, Jan 8, 6:43am
About the consistency of white sugar - as you say, coarser than espresso and finer than plunger. One other thing - you will have to choose between (at least) stainless and aluminium alloy. Stainless is technically healthier, but it won't become seasoned like aluminium. If you're planning on drinking 40 cups a day, stainless is safer. If you're planning on using gas for a long time, aluminium will - eventually - make nicer coffee. Bialetti and the other moka pioneers were aluminium engineers for a reason!

One final option to consider: the OTTO. It's stainless, and gets as close to an espresso as it's possible to get without being one. But it's expensive.

wootha, Jan 8, 6:46am
If it makes you feel better about giving up espresso, bear in mind that the very first espresso machines worked at 1.5 bar, about the same as a modern moka pot.

sophie98, Jan 8, 7:53am
Shake your milk in a cream bottle froths up great in seconds.

village.green, Jan 8, 8:18am
My moka is a Bialetti bought from Briscoes in a sale a few years ago and stainless steel. The gaskets (rubber) need replacing occasionally but are very cheap, you can buy online. I pick mine up from posh kitchen supply shop here in Palmy, I think 3 for $12.

davidt4, Jan 8, 8:25am
We use a Bialetti stovetop and find that the best grind is just below the finest e.g. with our Kitchenaid grinder 7.5 out of 8.0 is best. The very finest grind will clog up the Bialetti, any coarser gives a weaker product.

westigal, Jan 8, 8:41am
Ha ha good point buzzy110, one of these does a reasonable job
"Hand Pumped Spinning Egg Whisk Beater " would have to heat the milk on the gas ! LOL

village.green, Feb 1, 9:00am
I always buy espresso grind for my moka and it works fine, plunger grind doesn't and is a weaker brew. (we don't own a grinder).