Jo Seagars Cafe in Oxford

Page 2 / 2
buzzy110, Jul 16, 2:13am
Life just isn't fair is it? You merely made a judgement based on what was said in posts numbered 2,3, 8, 12 & 16. Perhaps rosejenny should have called them uncharitable and taken them to task before doing so to you.

Those posts certainly informed my thinking, even before you posted.

samanya, Jul 16, 2:27am
It's a common opinion around the area that although the quakes are being blamed, that's not a major reason, but what business owner is going to acknowledge that it was performing under par in many ways?
I feel for them as their business was a draw card to the district & Oxford has boomed, over recent years with more cafes, & boutique type shops opening, as well as population growth & I'm equally sure that Seagar's enterprise was instrumental in that boom, by bring people into town.
I just hope that they get a satisfactory conclusion soon.

maynard9, Jul 16, 3:34am
Just because you are a great cook - doesn't necessarily make you a good business manager.

Seen it happens before. Their passion is in the food.

awoftam, Jul 16, 6:17am
Oh dear lol no I didn't. I meant it never fails to deliver. I love the book. Ta for pointing that out!

kay141, Jul 16, 7:19am
You don't get a large tax bill when you are losing money unless you stop paying PAYE, GST and ACC.

wasala, Jul 16, 10:50pm
Yes, that happened to a friend of mine and it crippled his business but luckily he was able to keep going - and pay it off.
Does anyone remember the cake Jo made using Cameo Creams? It was amazing!

kiwitrish, Jul 16, 11:57pm
I love that cake and have the recipe if anyone wants it.

jwjmummy, Jul 17, 12:07am
Yes please kiwitrish! Sounds yummy.

kiwitrish, Jul 17, 12:12am
Here you go.

JO SEAGAR”S CHOCOLATE CAMEO MOUSSE CAKE

375 grams packet chocolate dark melts
2 cups cream
2 packets of cameo cream biscuits
(extra whipped cream and shaved chocolate to garnish)

To make CHOCOLATE CAMEO MOUSSE CAKE
• Grease and line the base of a 20cm springform cake tin with paper.
• In a double boiler saucepan or easier still the microwave, heat the chocolate and 1 cup of cream together until chocolate has melted
• Stir until smooth and cool 5 minutes.
• Place one packet of cameo creams in the food processor and run machine to finely crumb them.
• Add 2 tablespoons of the chocolate cream to moisten the crumbs further - press into the base of the springform cake tin.
• Whip the 2nd cup of cream until soft peaks form.
• Gently fold cream and chocolate mixtures together.
• Pour approximately 1 cup of this over the biscuit crumb base.
• Break up or roughly chop the remainder of the biscuits and sprinkle over a layer. Repeat with the chocolate cream then biscuit layer twice finishing with a chocolate cream layer.
• Cover with plastic cling film and refrigerate at lease 12 hours (overnight). (Cake may be frozen at this stage, allow 4 hours to soften).

To serve: run a thin hot knife blade around the edge of cake and remove, slide tin carefully, lift off base and paper and position on a serving plate.
Top each portion with a dollop of whipped cream and shaved chocolate.

jwjmummy, Jul 17, 2:29am
Thank you kiwitrish - just as well all the calories fall out when you crush the biscuits! I will give it a go.

kay141, Jul 17, 4:41am

rosejenny38, Jul 17, 5:05am
I guess it is called ' Tall Poppy ' syndrome ?
No one can recall anything positive of Jo Seagar ?
Everyone doing a dance around the ashes ?
I'm 77 so no vitriolic reply ? Just reflect ?

pickles7, Jul 17, 5:14am
I am with you on this one. A bit more education would do some posters well. I hope there health is improving all ready, having taken the leap they chose to take. I wish them well.

rosejenny38, Jul 17, 5:33am
Your blood is worth bottling ' pickles '. Thanks for your input in my ' fillings that freeze well ' thread. The vitriol was so amazing that my daughter was wanting to take up the cudgel ? Be in Raro this time next week .

pickles7, Jul 17, 5:49am
lol,. enjoy your holiday

rosejenny38, Jul 17, 5:51am
Cheers to you pickles.

griffo4, Jul 17, 6:34am
Enjoy your holiday once you get on that plane sit back and relax and leave all the crap behind

Mum used to regularly freeze cheese and onion sammies and egg ones and both came out nice
He will no doubt appreciate that his nana went to the trouble for him

Jo seems like a lovely person and l am saddened to hear things have gone bad for her and her family
We all make mistakes but thankfully not so public really feel for them and hope they can get it sorted soon and get on with their lives

rosejenny38, Jul 17, 6:51am
Wow, I can't believe it, another nice person on the recipe board. Thanks. My daughter dressed me down today - they are total strangers mum taking pot shots behind a screen . Get off it !

kay141, Jul 17, 7:34am
It is possible that not all posters are total strangers. Some of the posts have come from disappointed customers, too many of them and no matter how nice you are, your business will not succeed.
Others may be unpaid employees or suppliers. Who knows?

I think "Tall Poppy" has nothing to do with it, to say that is pre-judging posters when you know nothing about them. Doesn't that put you and those you are supporting in the same category?

awoftam, Jul 17, 7:46am
Several here, including me, have spoken well of Jo and her cooking ability and have wished her well. Others have passed a comment on their findings of her cafe and food in that cafe - their opinion and as it is their experience, quite valid. And their right. No one has been disrespectful, or personally rude about the lady, that I can see. Offence can be taken easily if one looks hard enough to find it. A point worth reflecting on perhaps.

kay141, Mar 7, 1:06am
I agree, there has been criticism of the food, the staff and the service but none of Jo herself. If Jo herself hasn't been there much lately, then her manager and staff let her down. It happens often when the boss takes their eye of the ball. and gets spread too thin.

It seems we have posters who have nothing to add but prefer to criticise other posters. Self-righteous comes to mind.