Jo Seagars Cafe in Oxford

Page 1 / 2
vomo2, Jun 15, 5:22am
I finally got to tick another box on my bucket list. But unfortunately I found the cafe very disappointing. There didnt seem to be the range of food that I had somehow expected. I chose the coffee cake but the icing was very gritty and the cake quite sickly. I was not surprised to learn that Jo was not there at the time. Im sure the cake I had would not be her usual standard, but then I could be wrong.
Further down the road we found the most amazing cafe in a little town called Cust. We didnt eat there but the food we saw looked outstanding.

harrislucinda, Jun 15, 5:38am
Yes food has dropped standard She is never there all the time
Not sure she lives in Oxford any more

miffycat1, Jun 15, 7:33am
I agree. We took our very good friends from Auckland, who always take us to lovely cafe's when are up there way
The food was below standard, very limited choice & service was poor. We will not be going back.
Nice other choices in Oxford now.

-paradisefound-, Jun 15, 7:46am
The cake you choose could have just been a personal preference thing. Other people may like it.

Pink Sugar and Cafe 51 are both lovely cafés in Oxford. Well worth a visit.
Check them out online.
And yes, Route 72 (about 10 mins away) in Cust is very nice too.

samanya, Jun 15, 11:34pm
Route 72 has lovely food, I've been there a few times for both lunch & dinner & have never had a dud meal. Every time you go past there's a heap of cars outside, which suggests it's a good place to dine.

245sam, Jun 30, 1:26am
In the February e-mail Jo also stated that they (Ross and Jo) would be "staying on in Oxford" and pursuing other opportunities. :-))

lythande1, Jun 30, 3:03am
I have a friend who lives in Oxford, she says that about Jo herself, not the cafe.

dogbond, Jun 30, 3:58am
Stopped going for lunch there a long time ago as menu was blah, but they do do a good takeout coffee with two pieces of fudge on top.

dogbond, Jun 30, 3:59am
Havent tried that place yet, but heard good things!

frances1266, Jun 30, 6:26am
Route 72 in Cust is really good.

samanya, Jun 30, 6:51am
Give it a try & if you are like me, you will come away with a purchase from 'the Emporium'. I pop in there often, if I'm looking for a gift . takes ages to actually see everything, there's so much, but I nearly always find something suitable & not over priced.
I used to live in the Cust vicinity, for many years, so love what they have done with the restaurant/shop.

jonners2013, Jul 13, 7:57pm

samanya, Jul 13, 11:14pm
I'm sad but not surprised . been hearing rumours for a while now.
I hope someone buys it & keeps Jo on as part of the cooking school.

sampa, Jul 14, 12:02am
At least her cookbook - Jo Seagar, The Cook School Recipes - delivers. One of my fav's.

boerin, Jul 14, 4:08am
we went there a few years ago and the food was indeed average . asked about a girls trip for 10 to do a cooking day and the staff was almost rude not interested at all . no way to do business. So I am not suprised

maximus44, Jul 14, 6:19am
I read today that the business has gone into liquidation. She seemed to be so successful so this was a surprise.

awoftam, Jul 14, 6:32am
Blaming post quake. However going by what people have said on here service was crappy and food very average so maybe she needs to look closer to home? I wonder how much time she actually spent there.

rosejenny38, Jul 14, 7:04am
Be a bit more charitable ' awoftam ' ? Apparently she hasn't been there very much since February when the writing was on the wall. I went to Facebook this afternoon and wished her well . no slagging please . never met her . just admired her endeavours

awoftam, Jul 14, 7:07am
I am not slagging fgs don't be so defensive! I just asked a question as a lot of small businesses fail when the owner gets distracted with other things. Cafes are extremely difficult to make a success of and if the food and service didn't live up to her 'Brand' it was going to be a recipe for disaster - no pun intended. People on here mentioned the lack lustre food and service going back before February. I have never met her however I do own several of her books and enjoy her cooking. It is sad when any business fails.

samanya, Jul 14, 7:19am
I agree with you awoftam.
Living locally, I heard a lot of adverse comments, for a long way before February.
However in saying that, as I see it . Jo's enterprise really helped put Oxford 'on the map' & I feel really sad for her, whatever the real reason for liquidation is.
We can't forget how we all learned from her & her ideas.
I have a few of her books & they are 'go to' especially if I'm catering for a crowd.
Jo has taught a lot of us how to turn out scrummy food without slaving over the hot stove thing & we have to look at the bigger picture & I just wish her & her husband the very best.

kirkwood10, Jul 14, 7:22am
did they go broke cos they didnt earn enough "dough"

awoftam, Jul 14, 7:24am
Absolutely. 'You Shouldn't Have Gone to So Much Trouble, Darling' is an old fav I pull out reasonably regularly and never fails to disappoint.

karlymouse, Jul 14, 9:24am
Did you really mean "never fails to disappoint" ?

slimgym, Jul 15, 5:25pm
she sounded very tired on the radio this morning.
As someone said she could bake but perhaps no business sense, by the sound of things they are hoping someone will buy the business but let her run the cooking school

pam.delilah, Jul 16, 12:39am
mm may be why she owns so much to IRD , big bill
The cafe was listed for sale in February at $390,000 plus stock. Seagar said if the business had sold then, it would have cleared the debt to the IRD.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/news/70185808/Jo-Seagars-dream-another-victim-of-the-earthquakes