Alison Holst recipe: vege dish for pot luck dinner

redden39, Sep 1, 11:34pm
I had the yellow hardback book that was loaned and never returned. I'm missing a receipie Alison Holst had for a vege dish that she said went well at a pot luck dinner. You started with tinned veg like corn and made a curry sauce using the liquid from the tin and a few other things. You added whatever veges you fancied to the mix. Does anyone have the recipe please? I am going to a pot luck dinner next Thursday and would love to make it as it was delicious.

sooseque, Sep 2, 12:44am
Scalloped Carrots & Corn ? Is finished with bread cubes on top

redden39, Sep 2, 12:59am
That may be it.

245sam, Sep 2, 1:37am
x2
Alison Holst's SCALLOPED CARROTS AND CORN
3-4 tbsp butter
2 onions, chopped
3 tbsp flour
½-1 tsp curry power
1 tsp each of salt and sugar
1 cup milk, or milk and liquid from corn
1 cup each of cooked or canned corn and diced cooked carros
1 tbsp butter
1 cup stale bread, diced very small

Melt the butter. Add the onion, stir, cover and cook gently for 5 minutes, until tender but not browned. Add flour, curry powder, salt and sugar. Add the liquid in 3 portions, boiling and stirring well between additions. Fold the corn and carrots into the cooked sauce. Turn into an ovenware dish. Melt the remaining portion of butter. Remove from heat and toss bread cubes in it. Spread the buttered bread cubes over the vegetables.
Bake uncovered at 190ºC (375ºF) for 30-45 minutes.
Serve with grilled meat or poultry and a green salad.
From Alison Holst "Simply Delicious". :-))

sooseque, Sep 2, 1:43am
6 servings
3 Tblsp olive oil
2 onions chopped
3 Tblsp flour
1/2 - 1 tsp curry powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1 cup liquid from corn topped up with milk
About 1 cup canned whole kernel corn
About 1 cup diced cooked carrots
2 Tblsp butter
2 cups 5mm bread cubes
Cook onions gently in oil about 5 mins until tender but not browned, add flour, curry, s & p, sugar. Drain liquid from corn and make up to 1 cup with milk, add half the liquid and bring to boil, stirring constantly. Add remaining liquid bring to boil stirring. Fold in corn & carrots, turn into sprayed medium size ovenware dish. Melt butter, remove from heat and toss and toss in bread cubes, spread bread over vegetables & refrigerate until needed. Bake uncovered 190° for 30 - 45 mins.
Variation: replace carrots with cooked celery, peas, beans or broccoli.

redden39, Nov 19, 10:09am
Thanks all! Both sound like just what I am looking for. I really appreciate the help.