Duck

packs6, Dec 21, 10:22pm
my daughter wanted to have duck for xmas which we brought was wondering if anyone has a receipe for duck and cooking intructions
thanks

mary34, Dec 21, 10:42pm
WILD DUCK
Soak ducks in water and malt vinegar for about 15 mins and then dry with paper towels (this cleans them nicely)

Cut parsons nose off.

Mix 2 tsp ginger and salt and pepper. Put into cavity. (Approx 1 tsp per duck).
Stuff body with oranges, onion, lemon and apples.(chopped) 1tsp mixed herbs

Cover ducks with bacon and put place in baking dish.

Pour 1 cup of red wine per duck over ducks and roast slowly for approx 1 ½ hours.

Remove ducks from roasting pan, add flour to juices and make gravy with orange juice (approx 2 oranges), more red wine and if too thick add water.
alternatively:
Cut breast meat (skin off) into slices and put in casserole dish, pour over gravy and top with crunchy bacon.

This recipe would be good for normal duck as well
This is a tried and true recipe.

mjhdeal, Dec 22, 3:34am
When in doubt, I resort to this website (icons on the far right is for duck): http://justroast.it/

Merry Christmas and enjoy your duck!

toffeey, Dec 23, 7:52am
If it is one of those supermarket Canter Valley ducklings, they are super easy to get right. I don't have a recipe as such as I just like the flavour of the duck (sadly I don't eat duck anymore but I have cooked a few).Take the duck out of the wrapper as soon as you get it, rinse and dry and place uncovered in your fridge to get the skin as dry as possible. When you are ready to cook it, just prick the skin all over to release the fat under the skin. Lots and lots of pricking. Rub with salt. Place the bird on a trivet (or something else to raise the duck out of the fat that renders out) in the roasting pan and roast at 160 for 2 hours from memory. There are instructions on the wrapper anyway. I found that it depended on your oven as to whether this was enough time. I check to see if the leg joints have loosened and if not, just cook a bit longer til they do. Then rest while you make gravy etc. I tried all sorts of recipes with some degree of cooking at high temperature to get the skin crispy but this works much better (for me anyway). The skin goes crispy as the fat renders out. You'll be shocked how much fat comes out. My partner keeps the fat to roast spuds in. Hope you enjoy.

toffeey, Mar 10, 5:13pm
Ok I see on the Canter Valley site they recommend a higher, shorter cooking time. Dunno where I got this method from then but it was successful.