Caramel in a crock pot or slow cooker

moparpete, Dec 16, 2:28am
Hi everyone, thinking of giving this a go ,just want to know ,do you have to lie the condensed milk can sideways and then cover it completely with hot water in the slow cooker(scared of the cans exploding,has it happened to anyone?) also how many cans can you fit safely in one go by this method. And if anyone can tell how long and what temperature(High or Auto).Thanks in advance.

fifie, Dec 16, 5:00am
Google slow cook central caramel, should take you to the recipe heaps make it, if not will post for ya.

nauru, Dec 16, 5:36am
There are instructions in the link below. There are also a few demos on youtube how to do it too. Years ago I used to do it in my pressure cooker, now the crockpot is a much better and safer option
http://www.livingwellspendingless.com/oh-so-easy-crockpot-caramel/

moparpete, Dec 16, 6:59am
Thanks to both of you,will give this a go,haven't got caning jars are jam jars the same.

nauru, Dec 16, 9:45am
I wouldn't bother using jars, just cook the unopened cans, much easier.

nauru, Dec 16, 9:46am
I don't bother using jars, just cook the unopened cans, much easier.

moparpete, Dec 17, 3:49am
Ok. So how many days ahead can I make this and store the unopened can in the refrigerator?

nauru, Dec 17, 4:56am
Hi moparpete, Unopened, it will keep indefinitely in the fridge. Once opened use as you you any condensed milk. The one that I opened the other day was fine and I cooked it earlier in the year.

kirmag, Dec 17, 5:45am
Why would you bother? Buy a tin of caramel. or does it taste THAT much better?

moparpete, Apr 3, 3:00am
If I can do it myself then why not ?and beside I like cooking.Thanks to all others for answering my queries.