Easy, nutritious & tasty lunch ideas.

chikbiskuit, Dec 27, 7:43am
- sorry for all the food threads at the moment - I've lost my kitchen mojo a bit!

I'm not working at the moment so am at home mostly all day - got any simple but tasty lunch ideas for me. I'm in desperate need of some new inspiration!

Thanks in advance!

davidt4, Dec 27, 8:46am
A traditional Italian frittata is easy to make and tasty, and will keep in the fridge for a few days. You can use all kinds of vegetables: spinach, mushrooms, kale, potatoes, capsicums. Would you like a basic recipe for one?

chikbiskuit, Dec 27, 12:44pm
Yes please! The frittata recipe I have always ends in disaster! So, if you are willing to share your recipe, I would be very grateful!

davidt4, Dec 27, 9:39pm
Here's a basic asparagus frittata. You can use freshly grated parmesan instead of pecorino if you prefer.

Frittata with Asparagus, Pecorino & Mint

serves 4

6 eggs
120g pecorino, grated
1 large handful mint, finely shredded
200g small asparagus spears
2 tab olive oil
salt

Beat eggs with cheese and mint. until just combined, don’t overbeat.

Put oil in 20 cm frying pan and heat. Cut asparagus diagonally into 5 cm pieces, cook in oil 4 - 5 min. until tender. Add salt and pepper, reduce heat to low.

Turn overhead grill on.

Pour egg mixture over asparagus and cook 8 - 10 min, occasionally pulling sides away from pan to allow runny mixture to flow underneath. When nearly set place pan under grill 1 - 2 min to brown.

Serve warm or cool.

davidt4, Dec 27, 9:42pm
Beetroot frittata (Nigel Slater)

Serves 1-2

175g raw beetroot

4 spring onions
a
handful of parsley

a small bunch of dill

a clove of garlic

3 eggs

a large knob of butter

50g grated parmesan

Peel the beetroot then grate it finely in a food processor. Thinly slice the spring onions, chop the parsley leaves & dill fronds and stir all into the beet.

Peel and crush the garlic. Melt the butter in a shallow, non-stick pan about 28cm in diameter then add the garlic and let it sizzle gently until it becomes a pale gold. Add the grated beetroot and cook for two or three minutes. Beat the eggs lightly, season, add half of the grated parmesan and then pour them over the softened beetroot. Cook on a very low heat until the eggs appear to be just setting. 7 or 8 minutes, maybe more.

Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top and finish under a hot grill till it is set and golden, but far from brown.

davidt4, Dec 27, 9:46pm
Tomato Frittata

3 eggs
4 ripe tomatoes, cored, peeled, seeded and diced
salt & pepper
pinch of chili flakes
50g parmesan, grated
knob of butter
tab crème fraîche
small bunch of chives

Heat overhead grill. Whisk eggs lightly, add all but 1 tab tomato, chili and ¾ of parmesan.

Heat omelet pan over medium heat, add butter, melt, add egg mixture. Working quickly, push in sides to allow egg to run underneath, place pan under grill to set surface.

Slide frittata on to a warmed plate, sprinkle remaining parmesan over, crème fraiche in centre, remaining tomato over.

bev00, Dec 28, 11:33am
Thanks for the yummy frittata ideas,

pinky10, Feb 19, 9:00am
Made this the other day, fantastic for using up leftovers. Very very tasty. http://chelseawinter.co.nz/ham-cheese-onion-frittata/