Satay Sauce

accroul, Jul 9, 10:15pm
When I was a wee tyke, growing up in Singapore, the highlight of my week was Satay night - the night that the Singapore/Malay Satay hawker man made his rounds on his bike with a charcoal grill on the back. The meat was cooked in front of us and we got peanut sauce. I'm trying to replicate the sauce for my daughter but have come to one conclusion - peanut butter probably isn't authentic!
Does anyone have a 'authentic' recipe for Satay sauce please?

nauru, Jul 10, 6:47am
I use fresh peanuts (better than peanut butter) and it does make a difference to the final taste. I have a coffee grinder which I keep for nuts and seeds which I use. I process chopped onion, ginger & garlic together for the base, add spices or curry powder/paste, a few drops soy sauce & cook for 1 minute before adding the processed nuts and stock. Cook until all the ingredients are cooked and flavours are well blended. I also add a few drops of sesame oil too just before serving. Doubt this is authentic but it's to our tastes.

unknowndisorder, Jul 10, 9:49am
3T oil
1 chopped onion
1/2 pot peanut butter (Dad always used a small pot, but really whatever had dried out as us kids never finished pots)
Soy sauce
Hot water
Garlic
Lemon
2 tsp brown sugar

place oil in pan (saucepan not frypan).
add onion and fry till golden brown
add peanut butter
stir until a solid mass
add soy sauce until brown
add hot water glass by glass
Do NOT boil
add remaining ingredients

It is all done by sight/taste.
you could add chilli for heat if wanted (we never did). smooth or crunchy PB, depending on what Yu want.

Sorry for any typos. :)

westward1, Jul 11, 12:33am
unknowndisorder wrote:
3T oil
1 chopped onion
1/2 pot peanut butter (Dad always used a small pot, but really whatever had dried out as us kids never finished pots)
Soy sauce
Hot water
Garlic
Lemon
2 tsp brown sugar

place oil in pan (saucepan not frypan).
add onion and fry till golden brown
add peanut butter
stir until a solid mass
add soy sauce until brown
add hot water glass by glass
Do NOT boil
add remaining ingredients

It is all done by sight/taste.
you could add chilli for heat if wanted (we never did). smooth or crunchy PB, depending on what Yu want.

You forgot the tamarin pulp, chili and shrimp paste

sampa, Jul 11, 1:02am
Hi accroul, I'm torn between the desire to make this - right now! - and the temptation to check out airfares to Singapore lol. Hope this helps or, at least, brings back some fond memories -

http://www.mummyicancook.com/2011/07/tut-tut-satay-singapore-chicken-satay.html

aromatherapy, Jul 11, 2:26am
yum- a trick i do is when the peanut butter jar is empty I don't throw it out- and add soya sauce, chillie sauce or whatever I fancy and make a quick sauce to cook with veges and tofu

dalkemade, Jul 11, 2:35am
I have found that a can of Ayam satay sauce, mild or hot from an Asian provision store has a very authentic flavour, and could save you a trip to Singapore ha ha. I lived there for a while and loved the satay. Probably best to try the mild

biggles45, Jul 11, 4:53am
Watching this thread. I have tried so many recipes to replicate the awesome satay sauce you get for starters on malaysia airlines. just can't get near it. I don't like the peanut butter ones, I think theirs had lemon grass in it. if anyone has a super yummy recipe I would love it.

biggles45, Jul 11, 4:58am
Oooh just looked at your recipe Sampa. must try that one.

unknowndisorder, Jul 11, 6:34am
westward: we never had tamarind or shrimp paste in peanut sauce. we did have sambal oelek in it, just I wrote the recipe down when I was about 12, and did not like spicy. dad would make some without sambal for us.

nauru, Mar 21, 11:42pm
Try using fresh ground peanuts, it does make a difference to the taste, IMO.