What packet brand makes the nicest satay sauce

korbo, Sep 7, 7:10am
or does anyone have a recipe for an economical one. Not one that uses 1/2 cup - 1 cup of peanut butter. Only 2 of us, so dont need a lot.
thanks

cookessentials, Sep 7, 8:02am
Ayam make THE best satay sauce in a smallish tin.

cookessentials, Sep 7, 8:03am
This is what it looks like. I always have a tin on hand, although I often make my own, this is a great one.
http://www.ayam.com/cooking-quality.htmlI get mine from Moore Wilson but I am sure it is available elsewhere.

clelandstimber, Sep 7, 8:27pm
This is my favourite too. Only two of us and we get through most of a tin as they aren't big. Can buy them from countdown but they are often in the asian or indian section not around other sauces

davidt4, Sep 7, 9:17pm
Malaysian Satay Peanut Sauce

1 1/2 cup dry roasted peanuts (unsalted)

1 cup water

1 tablespoon sweet soy sauce (Kecap Manis)

1 1/2 tablespoon sugar (palm sugar preferred)

1/8 teaspoon salt

1/4 cup oil

1 heaped tab tamarind pulp (soaked in 1/4 cup water for 15 minutes, squeeze the tamarind pulp for juice and discard the pulp)
Spice Paste:
6-8 dried red chilies (seeded and soaked in warm water)

3 cloves garlic

3 shallots

2 lemon grass (white parts only)

2 cm ginger or galangal 

1 tablespoon coriander powder (optional)

Crush the peanuts coarsely with mortar and pestle or mini food processor and set aside.
Chop the spice paste ingredients and blend until fine. Heat oil and fry the spice paste until aromatic and smell spicy. Add the peanuts, tamarind juice, water, sugar, sweet soy sauce and stir thoroughly. Simmer in low heat while continue stirring for about 3 minutes until the peanut sauce turns smooth. Serve at room temperature with the satay.

davidt4, Sep 7, 9:18pm
Thai Satay Sauce

1 ½ tab red curry paste
½ c peanut butter
3 – 4 tab tamarind paste
1 c coconut cream
2 – 3 tab sugar
2 tab fish sauce

Simmer all together for a few minutes.

shop-a-holic, Sep 7, 9:40pm
Another Vote for Ayam.

cgvl, Sep 7, 10:56pm
I have bought the watties bit on the side one, but not for a long time now. It also kept well,
Any of the authentic indian ones would be good though.

davidt4, Sep 8, 12:33am
Satay isn't actually an Indian dish, it's SE Asian - Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia.

deus701, Sep 8, 12:52am
Brahims brand is quite decent. You can get it in Asian supermarkets around $4 mark.

dons14, Sep 8, 1:00am
Easy Satay sauce - 2T (heaped) crunchy peanut butter, 2T extra hot sweet chilly sauce and 1/4 cup of water. Just heat, stir and eat. Tastes better than you would expect, and can be done in the microwave.

destiny21, Sep 8, 2:05am

korbo, Sep 8, 6:19am
thank you all

clelandstimber, Sep 8, 8:27pm
This is my favourite too. Only two of us and we get through most of a tin as they aren't big. Can buy them from countdown but they are often in the asian or indian section not around other sauces

davidt4, Sep 9, 12:33am
Satay isn't actually an Indian dish, it's SE Asian - Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia.

samdaf, Sep 9, 6:08am
Ayams all the way

diana96, Sep 10, 5:15am
i agree but its not as spicey as it used to be.

nadineb, Sep 10, 9:49am
I use the Maggi Satay I think its called Satay Chicken or Beef just look for the word Satay then follow instrutions then towards the end I add some coconut cream

otterhound, Sep 10, 10:28am
I love the Maggi satay chicken sachets!It's one of our "fast food" meals.=)

suie1, Sep 10, 11:10am
Why not just halve the recipe!

toadfish, Sep 10, 5:36pm
We love "Bit on the Side" Java Satay, we love it as a sauce on chicken burgers but I also have it as a quick easy meal.It costs the same as the can of creamy Satay by Watties. but for us a can is too much sauce in a meal so we use about half a bottle to about 500gms diced boneless chicken breast. a meal in as long as the rice takes to cook.
Also for a more authentic taste, select do a Singaporean Satay. also very nice.
We make a large salad in a bowl. put shredded chicken on top (crispy noodles if we are being less heathy) and a dollop of satay sauce. stir it all through instead of dressing. delicious

radark, Sep 10, 8:44pm
the asian home gourmet one is nice.i add a squeeze of lemon, some sweet chilli and crushed roasted peanuts

otterhound, Sep 11, 10:28am
I love the Maggi satay chicken sachets!It's one of our "fast food" meals.=)