Bread without a breadmaker

tanyas1, May 4, 7:47pm
can anyone give me or lead me to a good recipe please

unknowndisorder, May 4, 7:51pm
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Community/MessageBoard/Messages. asp
x? id=266289 is one thread
If you do a search on bread (left hand side of screen), but change date posted to "anytime", you will also find others :)

lilyfield, May 4, 8:18pm
I use my breadmaker recipes- no difference- just more hard work

glenj, May 4, 9:03pm
x? id=6

glenj, May 4, 10:36pm
link above wrong missing X? id=6

x? id=6

tanyas1, May 5, 4:40am
thank you. now could someone tell me what it means to "proof" the yeast? I have never cooked with yeast beofre

cookessentials, May 5, 4:46am
It just means to set your bowl somewhere warm for the yeast to do its thing.

cookessentials, May 5, 4:48am
to check that it is fresh and "alive" add a little to some lukewarm water and a little sugar - if it is alive, it will froth nicely as it expands while feeding on the sugar mixture.

tanyas1, May 5, 6:02am
ok, so leave it somewhere to rise? thankyou

tanyas1, May 5, 6:11am
right another stupid question. ; LOL. when it says "bread flour"does that mean the bread flour for machines? cos thats the only one I could find in the supermarket. I ended up buying Edmonds high grade flour. but most recipes say bread flour even though it is oven cooked and not in a maker? maybe I should stick to biscuits LOL

beaker59, May 5, 6:29am
I just use plain flour Tanya though there aresome fresh flours available over the net that I want to try one day. Proving is the fermentation process and nothing to do with the condition of the yeast though the yeast should be good EH! . It is the time the dough is left to rise.

If you are a beginner start simple use plain flour. There are some easy recipes and instructional vids on Youtube one I recommend is the "No knead Ciabatta bread" google that and watch the video its so easy and nice bread.

tanyas1, May 5, 7:32am
thank you so much for that beaker, will go and look at that shortly.

bunny51, May 5, 10:29am
Bread flour is high grade flour and used for bread making, hand or in the bread machine, good luck. home made bread is really yummy.

juliewn, May 5, 1:38pm
Hi. . this thread might be of help too. . lots of goodies there to try. .

x? id=6

buzzy110, May 5, 11:06pm
the reason high grade flour is used, is because it has a high percentage of gluten in it. Pure flour has had more of the gluten removed. Gluten is important in bread making as it creates bonds which hold the bread together. The reason for kneading dough is to create long, elastic bonds in the dough. You can tell when your kneading is complete by flattening out a small piece of your dough and holding it up and stretching at the same time. It should hold together and be elastic.

Note: When you proof (rise your dough) be sure not to over proof. It should only double in size, no more, and still be able to slowly 'bounce' back to the original shape if you make a gentle indentation with your finger. I have never made ciabatta, but I think it is the one exception to this standard and following the proofing times laid down in the recipe are more important than the indentation test.

buzzy110, May 5, 11:08pm
juliewn's thread is brilliant. Her advice is excellent and her recipes are all tried and tested by her.

tanyas1, May 6, 7:40am
thank you so much for that buzzy. very helpful advise

tanyas1, May 7, 7:42am
Well it seems I suck at making bread. it tastes ok but it did not rise. tried it twice with no luck. not sure what I have done wrong.

turbomum, May 7, 8:50pm
A couple of things I have learned the hard way through breadmaking - check the expiry date of the yeast. I use surebake yeast, kept in the fridge and not past the expiry date. Secondly leaving the dough long enough and in a warm enough place for it to double in size. This can take much longer on a cooler day than in the heat of summer. Don't give up. Try again. Check your measurements and be patient.

buzzy110, May 7, 11:09pm
Breadmaking is a skill that has mostly been lost to all but a few people who are prepared to stick at it. Once you have mastered the art it is very very simple. I make sour dough bread from scratch and just love it, even though I hate baking in general.

However I have stopped posting much help in these threads due to some of the wanna-be-queens objecting to what they call my 'purist' beliefs. However, if you would like some more helpful information perhaps you would like to register on the - low carb cooking with style web site - start a thread there and I'll give you all the help you need.

Conversely, you could ask juliewn to provide more useful information on how to make a great loaf of bread, other than by just providing a recipe.

Breadmaking is more of a process rather than a recipe.

buzzy110, May 8, 12:24am
Just went back over the "Sour Dough - Success At Last" thread and thought that these posts may be helpful as well. The tips apply equally to commerical yeast made doughs and sour dough so don't be put off.

See post 999, 1000, 1011. They don't tell the whole story but IMO, every little scrap of information is good at this stage in the process.

cookessentials, May 8, 12:56am
tanyas, here is a link to Champion Flour - it gives you all the flours available and what they are best for. I make bread without a bread maker ( in fact, I prefer it that way as I LOVE kneading the dough) hopefully this will give you some ideas too. Julie is always so helpful and I am sure she would give you some excellent tips if you ask her.
http://www.championflour.co.nz/products/flour-grains-and-oat
s/20/category. aspx

cookessentials, Apr 11, 4:14am
The difference between many of the flours is the protein content.