Homemade Falafel ?

Page 1 / 2
04redsox, Aug 22, 2:11am
Hi, does anyone make their own falafel? Recipe? Or can you buy a mix in the supermarket? Also, can it be shallow fried rather than deep-fried?

Thanks!

cookessentials, Aug 22, 2:27am
I don't bother making my own as I can get a decent size tub in Moore Wilson. I have only ever shallow fried ours and they turn out really well.

04redsox, Aug 22, 2:30am
thanks, cooke, good to know they can be shallow fried. Is your tub a paste that you shape, or pre-formed, or frozen? I'm a dumb provincial who doesn't even know what Moore Wilson is (hangs head in shame)

cookessentials, Aug 22, 2:33am
Moore Wilson is a bit like Gilmours. They sell to hotels, shops, motels and the general public if you have a card. The tub I buy ( cannot remember the brand) is the whole mix made up and in a tub, so all I do is form them and shallow fry. I am sure you are no dumb provincial at all, heck, I live in Masterton, so we are equal. Have some long lost friends who live in Kurow by the name of Bogdalski, do you know them? I have a feeling you can get the bigger tubs at some supermarkets.

mottly, Aug 22, 2:34am
do many people make it out of dried broad beans?

04redsox, Aug 22, 2:35am
Thanks (again) for that. I have my "town day" tomorrow in Oamaru and will have a look around. I may google for recipes, but the TM friends are so much better!

*Snap* I don't know them, but I'm 40km out of Kurow in the wop-wops (1 1/4 hour drive to town so hence go every 3 weeks) So need to be self-sufficient when the falafel craving strikes!

kaddiew, Aug 22, 2:37am
I use a recipe from here (sorry, don't have the name), and either shallow fry or bake. Don't eat them myself but the vege recipient seems to like them done either way. Here's my abbreviated version of the originally posted recipe:

1 can chickpeas drained, 1 med finely chopped onion, 1 tbsp minced garlic, 2 tbsp chopped parsley, 1 tsp coriander, 3/4 tsp cumin, 1/2 tsp salt, 2 tbsp flour, 1/2 tsp baking powder.

Mash or whizz chickpeas in food processor. Add ingreds to make a thick paste. Roll into balls, flatten slightly, shallow fry till golden or brush/spray with oil and oven bake 200C 15-20 mins.

04redsox, Aug 22, 2:39am
YUMMY! thank you thank you thank you kaddiew!

cookessentials, Aug 22, 2:40am
Actually, I think they are in Oamaru

cookessentials, Aug 22, 2:42am
Healthy food guide has a good recipe for falafel burgers, just make the patties smaller
http://www.healthyfood.co.nz/recipes/2011/march/falafel-burgers

04redsox, Aug 22, 2:43am
Wow, thanks again.

kaddiew, Aug 22, 2:43am
I also sometimes cook up triple or quadruple the recipe, free-flow freeze them and store them in ziplock bags in the freezer. They reheat really well in a hot oven. : )

04redsox, Aug 22, 2:47am
Excellent! that would be perfect for me. thanks for taking the time to help me out, you guys. I really appreciate it.

pam.delilah, Aug 22, 8:00am
made these ones for lunch, really yummy
Michael Van de Elzen''s recipe
http://www.foodinaminute.co.nz/Recipes/Mike-s-4-Bean-Falafels-with-Roasted-Garlic-Yoghurt-Parsley-Salad

lilyfield, Aug 22, 8:34am
I make up heaps at a time and freeze in small one meal portions. Usually cook a kilo of chickpeas at once.

frances1266, Aug 22, 9:40am
I prefer felafel made by soaking chickpeas and then mixing in a food processor with other ingredients rather than using a can.

motorbo, Aug 22, 12:53pm
i know chickpeas is the israel version, and i think broad beans more another part of middle east, i alaways make mine, fell in love with them in the uk and then again in israel

winnie231, Aug 22, 6:18pm
Like frances I also prefer to use raw chickpeas. Here's my recipe .

1 cup chickpeas soaked over night. (soak in a big pot of water)
1 large onion
4-6 cloves garlic
1 cup parsley
1/4 c packed mint leaves
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper or ground chilli
1/2 tsp baking soda
Optional extras - sometimes I add 1/2 tsp sumac. A Tblspn or 2 of Dukkah adds some nice flavour & texture too.

Chop onion finely in a food processor. Chop garlic, parsley & mint in the food processor with the onion. Remove from processor.
Process the soaked chickpeas until they are fine like ground almonds. Coarsely ground peas will not stick together during cooking. Add the remaining ingredients then the chopped herb mix & mix well.

Roll tsp size balls of the falafel mix and shallow fry about 6 at a time on a medium heat for 3-4 mins, turning once when the bottom is brown. Drain on paper towels.
I usually cook 1 first then taste & adjust seasoning before cooking the rest.

drsr, Aug 22, 6:29pm
This is a nice gluten-free one: http://www.beardandbonnet.com/?p=1291

04redsox, Aug 23, 8:38pm
Hi everyone, thanks for the other recipes and suggestions, including the ones using dried chickpeas. You are all stars!

bev00, Aug 24, 11:24am
marvellous variety of versions here

dk33, Aug 26, 7:55am
Yep, I too prefer mine with soaked, raw chickpeas rather than precooked chickpeas. The texture is better. I also mince them with my handmincer rather than a food processor because they come out more even in texture.

tigerlilly16, Aug 27, 4:35am
If you like the broad bean one there is a mix you can buy already made up in a tub at the supermarket. I haven't bought for a while but used to be in the chilled section near the hummus. Really tasty and you can make whatever size balls/patties you want from the mix.

bev00, Aug 27, 1:30pm
nom nom .

beaker59, Aug 29, 7:30am
Pretty much what I do too, the premade ones just don't cut it in my opinion.