Magical orange cake gluten free

eljayv, Aug 30, 11:43pm
Is it possible to convert the magical orange cake to gluten free, anyone tried it or know if it can be done?

uli, Aug 30, 11:50pm
I have done it for a neighbour and simply used the Gluten free baking mix from Healtheries. You can buy it in most supermarkets.
http://www.healtheries.co.nz/products/product-details/_prod_/Healtheries-Simple-Wheat-Gluten-Free-Baking-Mix

eljayv, Aug 31, 1:30am
Okay, may try that, thanks.

pam.delilah, Aug 31, 1:55am
here is a
GLUTEN-FREE CITRUS CAKE
5 lemons or oranges or a mix of citrus or 8 mandarins, unpeeled
4 cups ground almonds
3 cups sugar
2 tsp baking powder
10 eggs
Cover the citrus fruit with water and boil for 1 hour. Drain and set aside to cool, then place in the bowl of a food processor and blend until fairly smooth.
Preheat the oven to 150°C. Grease and line a 25-26cm cake tin.
Combine the almonds, sugar, baking powder and eggs in a very large bowl. Stir in the citrus fruit and pour the mixture into the cake tin.
Bake for 1½-1¾ hours, until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
Serves 10-12.

nanasee1, Aug 31, 6:20am
I have used the magical orange cake recipe using oil and Bakels gluten free flour successfully. The baking mix has dairy in it so I have used the flour to keep the recipe dairy free. (I have also used Organ egg replacement to make it egg free as well! )

hesian, Aug 31, 8:06pm
I do using bin in gf flour mix and double baking powder. It doesnt upset the taste.

A food technologist told me this tip a couple of years ago. Saves buying guar gum etc and works for many cake recipes.

I also use oil sometimes for dairy and gf free and sometimes use mix of oil and coconut oil and sometimes just use butter like in original recipe with the gf substitute. Its a fast great recipe!

eljayv, Aug 31, 9:52pm
All thes tips are great thanks

denise41, Nov 18, 1:17am
Hi there. recipe sounds great. is there a thread for gluten free recipes. anything? Thanks alot.