Tomato and Chilli Chutney

rainrain1, Apr 27, 10:13pm
Does anyone have a tried and true recipe. Must be hot , but not insanely hot

awoftam, Apr 27, 11:13pm
This is one that I have used. I like it. Hot (depending on the chillis of course) but doesn't blow your brains out.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1756641/tomato-and-chilli-chutney

rainrain1, Apr 28, 1:17am
Sounds good, thanks much

petal1955, Apr 28, 10:48pm
Peter Gordon's Tomato & Chilli Jam

SERVES: MAKES 4 MEDIUM JARS

A lovely spicy mix with rich tomato and Asian flavours.

Peter Gordon, talented chef/owner of London restaurant The Providores, and consultant executive chef of the forthcoming Dine restaurant in Auckland's Sky City, was happy to share this recipe from his first book, The Sugar Club Cookbook (published in 1997).

500g very ripe tomatoes, washed
4 red chillies
4 cloves garlic, peeled
6cm piece ginger, peeled and coarsely chopped
30mls Asian fish sauce
300g demerara sugar
100mls red wine vinegar

Mix half the tomatoes with the chillies, garlic, ginger and fish sauce to a fine purée in a blender. Cut the remaining tomatoes into tiny dice and set aside.

Place the purée, sugar and vinegar in a deep saucepan and slowly bring to a boil, stirring continually. When it reaches a boil turn it down to a gentle simmer and add the remaining diced tomatoes. Skim off any foam and cook gently for 30-40 minutes, stirring often to release the solids that settle on the bottom of the pan. Be sure to scrape the sides down during cooking so the jam does not burn at the edges.

When the jam is on setting point (has become very syrupy and very thick), pour into warmed sterilised jars and allow to cool. Cover and keep in a cool place; it will keep for several months.

westward1, Apr 28, 10:56pm
rain, aren't people wonderful to take the time to type these recipe's etc out for us. There sure are some lovely people on this forum. Then again,. -

rainrain1, May 3, 10:15pm
Wondering if you deseed the chilli? The recipe doesn't say to do that, what did you do when you made yours.

rainrain1, May 3, 10:16pm
Yes, it's brilliant

awoftam, May 6, 7:55am
Opps sorry just seen this rainrain1. I took most of the seeds out. Left a few in. I checked to see how hot the chillis were first. Trust this helps, and is not too late.

awoftam, May 6, 7:57am
Not need to type out a lot - easy to cut and paste as well; either whole recipes or links. Most recipes I use are online nowadays. You?

rainrain1, May 6, 9:07pm
I left the seeds in, we like a bit of heat in the mouth afterwards, the chutney is lovely I tasted a red chilli with the seeds in first, thought it was hot till I tried a green one. it .almost blew my mouth off, and I had to rinse my mouth a hundred times lol I'm laughing, but it was actually quite distressing at the time, I won't taste one of those again in a hurry :-)
I have made 3 small batches of different recipes, which I'm testing out on family, Next I'm going to make the recipe above of Peter Gordons. Very saucy!

awoftam, Aug 18, 1:55am
Hey what a great idea! Its so nice I am almost addicted to the stuff. Yes, having a mouth on fire is not the most pleasant. I understand your pain.