Can you use the ready-made cheesecake filling

tigerlilly16, Nov 21, 2:00am
That is in the supermarkets chilled section in place of cream cheese icing? I have not tried the product so don't know what it's taste or consistency is like, but my daughter has requested a cake with cream cheese icing for her Birthday on Sunday and my cream cheese icing doesn't always turn out how I want it (thick and fluffy).

aglarana, Nov 21, 2:14am
I don't think cheesecake filing is the same as cream cheese icing.

tigerlilly16, Nov 21, 2:36am
I don't think it will be the same either, but I was thinking it might work as an icing, though having never tried it I'm not sure.

aglarana, Nov 21, 2:38am
Maybe you could add icing sugar to it?
Give it a go. I'd love to hear the results.
My cream cheese icing tends to flop more often than not too.

kaddiew, Nov 21, 2:44am
The Meadowfresh Cheescake Filling in the tub contains:

Meadow Fresh cream, sugar, milk solids, halal gelatine, salt, acidity regulator (270), emulsifiers (450, 452, 451, 339), thickener (401), flavour.

It doesn't contain cream cheese as such; not sure what the texture would be like, spread over a cake.

mindi1, Nov 21, 3:47am
I have never been able to find this. Is it on a chiller shelf?

daarhn, Nov 21, 3:57am
countdown and spaks n slaves have it, next to ricotta cheese tubs, cottage cheese tubs and creamcheese section.

245sam, Nov 21, 5:04am
tigerlilly6, I personally would not use the cheesecake filling as an icing, even with added icing sugar - it is already plenty sweet enough and IMO would be sickly sweet with any added sweetening.
I don't often make icing nowdays however I do know that to get a good set the traditional/original cream cheese should be used and not the soft, spreadable or lite versions. :-))

tigerlilly16, Nov 21, 6:24am
Hi Mindi, I just went to New World and it was between the riccota and cream cheese tubs. I decided not to get it as it sounds like it probably wouldn't be suitable as an icing - plus it was really expensive, I was guessing it would be around $6 to $7 but it was actually $9.20 for a 500g tub! this seems a ludicrous price when you can get a complete cheesecake from the freezer or bakery section for around $5 or $6 bucks. If I ever see it on super special I might get it though just to try it as I am curious.

tigerlilly16, Nov 21, 6:27am
Yes thanks 245sam, I have heard that tip before too so got the traditional one, now I will just have to try and dig out which recipe I used last time as I seem to remember it was 'passable' I think I used a recipe without butter in it, I have never really got the point of the butter anyway?

aglarana, Nov 21, 6:30am
Holy mackerel!

miffycat1, Nov 21, 6:42am
You make a much bigger cheese cake using the Meadow fresh cheese cake mix than the cheaper ready made ones in the supermarket.
They Mix is around $7.99 as I remember in CHCH.

mindi1, Jun 6, 12:47am
Thanks for responses. Wow, expensive.