Waterproof pastry

dannydonut, Aug 16, 12:55am
Last night on the Home and Garden programme they made a waterproof pastry for the bottom of pies. It looked like a good idea. Anybody more organised and got the recipe?! They added a hot water/butter mix to the dry ingredients.

chasing, Aug 16, 1:40am
I thought it was hot water, butter and flour but I am not sure what the measurements were?

kiwitrish, Aug 16, 1:58am
Do you mean hot water crust pastry? If so I make this pastry for pork pies.
Ingredients:
150g lard or butter
•500g plain flour
250 ml water

Put the butter into a saucepan with 250ml water and a teaspoon of salt, and bring it to the boil. Meanwhile, sift the flour into a bowl, then make a well in the middle. Pour in lard mixture and mix until it forms a dough. Leave till it’s cool enough to handle but still warm.
It is a firmer pastry

245sam, Aug 16, 1:59am
dannydonut, unfortunately I missed last night's H&G programme but was the pie an Almond Macadamia Tart? If so the ingredients are 250g plain flour, 180g unsalted butter, 1 egg yolk and 40ml water. A video of that pastry and pie being made can be viewed at:-

https://au.lifestyle.yahoo.com/food/video/watch/29261943/karen-martini-s-almond-macadamia-tart/

Hope that helps. :-))

pogram0, Aug 16, 2:08am
The program repeats on Choice on Saturday afternoon at 1.30pm but sorry, I did not see your post in time for me to take down the ingredients however, I am sure it repeats again on Sunday at around dinner time. You can also view from here:
https://au.lifestyle.yahoo.com/better-homes-gardens/recipes/r/25838337/fast-eds-homemade-party-pies-recipe/

245sam, Aug 16, 2:24am
There is no pastry recipe given for Fast-Ed's Homemade Party Pies - that recipe uses "2 sheets ready-rolled frozen puff pastry, partially thawed" :-))

245sam, Aug 16, 2:28am
Better Homes and Gardens is on right now. 1.35 p.m. - 3.00 p.m. :-))

pogram0, Aug 16, 2:44am

pogram0, Aug 16, 2:53am
I had a look at the Choice TV program guide for Sunday and Better Homes and Gardens is on at 3.35pm - I'm not sure whether they repeat the same program from last Friday night and Saturday afternoon but worth a look to verify.

petal1955, Aug 16, 5:47am

nauru, Aug 16, 6:45am
Didn't see the programme but it sounds like a hot water crust pastry, usually used to make pork pies etc.

dannydonut, Dec 29, 12:48am
You guys are legends! Thanks. I didn't know t use a different pastry for tops and bottoms of pies!