Lemon Curd - what do you use it for?

Page 1 / 3
happyshoppin, Feb 7, 6:54am
x1
Hi, I am trying out a zucchini lemon curd recipe because it sounds so yummy. The recipe says it can be used for lemon meringue pie, arethere any other uses for it?

babytears, Feb 7, 6:55am
I've tried it on scones with cream... just replaced the jam

nfh1, Feb 7, 6:57am
It is lovely with ice cream!

theanimal1, Feb 7, 6:57am
on toast, make little tarts, on top of a shortcake base, with chocolate icing.

245sam, Feb 7, 7:06am
I haven't made it but I sure did enjoy the bought version of lemon honey sponge roll - in fact, I haven't had or seen that in the shops for ages, I wonder if it's still made?

On toast or bread, with icecream, as a topping for or served with pavlova is lovely and yes, lemon honey tarts with a small spoonful of whipped cream on top - yum! :-))

happyshoppin, Feb 7, 7:07am
Thank you! I will definately these suggestions! Just tried some (and nearly burnt it while I was on here! ) and its so damn yummy, I can see myself making much much more! What a great way to use my excess zucchini.

245sam, Feb 7, 7:11am
happyshoppin, would you mind sharing the recipe please - I'm sure there are others who would like to use their excess zucchinis the same way. :-))

happyshoppin, Feb 7, 7:16am
Sure of course!
Ingredients:
1kg yellow zucchini - or peeled green zucchini
juice and zest of 3 lemons
1kg sugar
125g butter

Chop zucchini finely and steam until tender. Puree in a food processor. Place zucchini pulp in a pot with the rest of the ingredients and stir over a low heat until the sugar is dossolved. Increase heat and boil for about 30 minutes, until the curd is thick and creamy like lemon honey. Pour into warm, sterilised glass jars and seal.

happyshoppin, Feb 7, 7:18am
I've got the recipe from my NZ Gardener 2010 diary, I used the peeled green zucchini and I halved the quantities - but I made the mistake of only halving the zucchini and sugar measurements - and still used the full amounts for the butter and lemon, but it tastes really good anyway!

245sam, Feb 7, 7:19am
That was quick happyshoppin - much appreciated, thanks. :-))

happyshoppin, Feb 7, 7:20am
I used to be an office girl
Tippy tap tippy tap ;)

timturtle, Feb 7, 7:26am
I use lemon curd with ice cream sort of a lemon meringue smash, use bird nest smashed, add ice cream then top with warmed curd ( use m/wave to warm curd so it pours)

happyshoppin, Feb 7, 7:32am
mmmm timturtle you've just reminded me of a recipe I might be able to add it too =I crumble up meringue's, mix thru whipped cream with halved strawberries. I'm sure I could add some curd on top of that! Yummo!

tiogapass, Feb 7, 7:58am
equal quantities of curd and greek yoghurt make wonderful frozen yoghurt icecream - i churn it in an icecream maker for a smooth texture.

indy95, Feb 7, 8:38pm
Try making Louise Cake using lemon curd or lemon zucchini curd instead of raspberry jam.

Edited to add it is also delicious as a filling for a sponge cake with lots of whipped cream too of course.

goodstuff3, Feb 8, 2:09am
Mix with softened cream cheese (not the spreadable one - it wont set) and use as a cheesecake filling. Just pour over your favourite base and refrigerate.

susieq9, Feb 8, 2:32am
Wow. Have just made the Lemon Zucchini Curd. Halved the recipe, but still a little less sugar and butter. I used large juicy lemons and only 2 of them. Delicious. Zucchini from the neighbour and lemons from our tree. Guess I had better give her a jar. Very cheap to make also.

happyshoppin, Feb 9, 7:03am
Its pretty good eh susieQ? I used it like a spread today on my son's sandwiches, they both loved them. I think I've found my favourite use for zucchini's ;)
I'm going to try make a mini lemon meringue pie tonight, as soon as the pastry thaws.

susieq9, Feb 10, 10:16pm
Have got a few people to try this Lemon Zucchini Curd without telling what it is. They all think it is just Lemon Honey. I then tell them what is in it. So now the recipe has gone out to a few more people.

maandpa2b, Feb 11, 4:12am
It's awesome in a Trifle with blueberries and custard too... just spread it onto the spongecake and swirl a bit into the cream topping

redrustie, Feb 11, 4:38am
Can you taste the zuchini at all? Looking at the recipe the zuchini is instead of eggs?

susieq9, Feb 11, 9:04am
No taste of zucchini at all.

contractservice, Feb 11, 8:07pm
love it mixed with whipped cream on pavlovas and deserts adds that little bite

angie461, Feb 12, 5:47am
Kg of sugar equals ? Please.

davidt4, Feb 12, 6:10am
Kg of sugar = 1000grams or approx 33 ounces