Shortbread.at last!

Page 2 / 2
lythande1, Dec 8, 6:31pm
Hmmm, my recipe is a James Martin one, it uses very little standard flour and cornflour not rice flour.

julz29, Dec 8, 6:55pm
I love shortbread that melts in your mouth, what's the best recipe

cookessentials, Dec 8, 7:06pm
trad Scottish recipe has rice flour. Those icing sugar/cornflour ones are just way too sweet.

rarogal, Dec 8, 7:10pm
Julz, I was delighted with this recipe. My MIL made the best short bread, but I had no success with even her recipe. Ive given up making it over the years, but thought I'd give it another go this Xmas. This is definitely melt in the mouth stuff.

olwen, Dec 8, 7:11pm
When I learnt to make shortbread about 55 years ago we used ordinary flour and cornflour. And that was what was in my grandmother's recipe books that she had had for many years. But this was NZ.

bluetigerrr, May 4, 11:05am
This is a great SAVOURY shortbread recipe . I made them for staff where I worked last Christmas and they said it was the most memorably delicious shortbread they's ever tasted :)

Pesto | Walnuts, Orange Zest, Parmesan, and Fresh Basil | Yield about 2 dozen.
Inspired by pesto I see on pizzas, pastas, and sandwiches, this cookie offers a familiar, savory flavor as it celebrates the cookie. Walnuts, orange zest, and Parmesan cheese add an interesting bit of flavor, and fresh basil finishes the cookie with a delicious closing taste. Refrigerated for a couple of hours or frozen for 30 minutes, the dough slices nicely and you can use a slice of basil leaf for decoration. The texture is between cookie and shortbread, a little dense and a little crumbly.

Pesto Cookie-Walnut, Orange Zest, Parmesan Cheese, and Fresh Basil
Ingredients
Step 1:
½ cup unsalted butter, softened
½ cup sugar
Step 2:
2 large egg yolks
1 Tablespoon orange juice
1 Tablespoon fresh basil, chopped fine
1 Tablespoons orange zest
Step 3:
1½ cups all-purpose flour
½ cup walnuts, chopped fine
½ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
Step 4:
If desired, basil leaves for cookie decoration as shown in photo above
Baking Instructions
Step 1:
Cream butter and sugar.
Step 2:
Mix into above.
Step 3:
Stir together and mix into above.
Step 4:
Form dough into a 2″ log wrapped in parchment paper or waxed paper. Press log on counter so that it forms a rectangular shape rather than a round shape.
Freeze for 30 minutes or refrigerate for 2 hours.
Slice dough ¼” thin.
Arrange slices on a parchment lined or nonstick baking sheet.
Use kitchen scissors or a knife to cut small decorative basil leaf, press onto cookie.
Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes, or until bottoms are a light golden brown.
Let sit for a couple of minutes and transfer to a cooling rack.