Feijoa Recipes

245sam, Mar 16, 9:42am
sue62 wrote:

re the chutney. How many feijoas are there in this recipe? Thanks[/quote
sue62 from:-
http://www.stuff.co.nz/waikato-times/life-style/8634719/The-best-feijoa-cake-ever-and-readers-other-favourite-recipes
here is the full recipe for that chutney.
" Toni Matthews's feijoa chutney

1.5 kg feijoas, 1 kg onions (chopped), 300gr sultanas, 300gr dates (chopped), 450 gr brown sugar, 4tbsp salt, 1 tbsp or curry powder and ground ginger, 1tsp ground cloves and cayenne pepper, 1 litre vinegar,

Put all ingredients into a saucepan bring to the boil, simmer for approx 1.5 hours. Stirring often. Pour into sterilised jars." :-))

bedazzledjewels, Mar 21, 8:19pm
Just got some feijoas the other day. Any more ideas out there?

paora-tm, Mar 21, 8:23pm
Yeah, send me some.

bedazzledjewels, Mar 21, 8:29pm
Bought them Paora! Would love to have a tree or two but I haven't got room. Any savoury ideas out there other than chutney?

nauru, Mar 22, 6:19am
I have a feijoa & orange cake recipe I can look out for you if you like, let me know.

bev00, Mar 28, 10:44am
Just in case any one is interested now that we are reaching feijoa season - these are recipes that have been shared here in the past .
FEIJOA CHUTNEY
- Top & tail 1Kg feijoas but leave the shins on, 750g diced onions, 2 cups white sugar, 4 cups cider vinegar, 1tbsp each: curry powder, ground ginger, 1 tsp each: cayenne pepper, whole cloves. Combine the feijoas & onions in large pot. Add remaining ingredients. Stir well while bringing to the boil. Simmer until thick, approx 1 1/2 hrs. Spoon into hot sterilized jars. Seal when cold. Makes approx 5 cups. posted by kennymac

Feijoa Chutney
8 large feijoas,1 good sized apple,1 tablespoon pickling spice,1 and 1/2 teaspoons salt,1 large onion,1 and 1/4 cups vinegar,1 and 1/2 cups sugar,1 and 1/4 teaspoons cayenne pepper.Chop fruit and onion put altogether in large saucepan boil 1 hour and bottle,lovely served with any cold meats,on crackers with cheese or however you desire. posted by flo16

Feijoa Chutney
1 kg Feijoas, 500grams onions, 300grams raisins, 500grams (or packet) pitted dates, 500 grams brown sugar, 1tblsp ground ginger, 1 tblsn curry powder, teapsoon ground cloves, 1/2 tea spoon cayenne pepper, 4 teaspoons salt, 3 cups malt vinegar, 1 cup white vinegar. Chop up feijoas (leave skin on) onions, dates combine with rest of ingredients, bring to boil and simmer for 1 hour, stirring so it does not stick. ENJOY posted by marlin9

Quotewinnie231 (145 ) 11:07 am, Sat 31 Mar #4
Also some recipes say to seal when cold. hot or cold , which is best? thanks:)

Quotesarah1955 (562 ) 12:41 pm, Sat 31 Mar #5
I seal all my jams, pickles, chutneys and other preserves hot, that way as they cool the seal sets, you can hear the seal pop, and this means they are airtight should not go mouldy.
My feijoa recipe says to peel the skins but leave some peel on. hard to describe but I peel them so they are striped.

Quotecgvl (22 ) 12:48 pm, Sat 31 Mar #6
thanks. Did not peel them and they are cooking down nicely. An hour from now will be all done. I will seal while hot .

Quotesarah1955 (562 ) 1:21 pm, Sat 31 Mar #7
cgvl wrote:

I seal all my jams, pickles, chutneys and other preserves hot, that way as they cool the seal sets, you can hear the seal pop, and this means they are airtight should not go mouldy.
My feijoa recipe says to peel the skins but leave some peel on. hard to describe but I peel them so they are striped.

Can you post your feijoa receipe please ?.

Quotemasina6 (283 ) 1:37 pm, Sat 31 Mar #8
eek masina its in the old imperial measurements:
4lb (1.8kg) feijoa's
2lb (900g) onions
3lb (1.5kg) sugar
2Tbsp salt
1lb (454g) raisins
1oz (28g) garlic
1tsp cayenne pepper
1tsp ground cloves
2½ pints (1.5lt) vinegar.
Top and tail feijoa's. Peel leaving a strip of skin between each peel.
Chop or mince onions and garlic
Put all ingredients into a preserving pan or large pot and bring to boil.
Once boiling turn to a simmer/slow boil for 2 hours.
Bottle and seal.

Quotecgvl (22 ) 4:22 pm, Sat 31 Mar #9

rozke, May 6, 11:04am
Chocolate Feijoa Cake 180o 40-50 mins
185g butter 3/4c caster sugar, 2 eggs, 1&1/2 cups sliced peeled feijoas 2 tbs brown sugar, 1/2 tsp cinnamon (1) 1&1/2 SR flour 1/2 tsp baking soda, 1/2 cup Cocoa powder, 1/2 tsp cinnamon(2) , 1/2 tsp nutmeg, 1/2 cup sour cream.
Put feijoas with brown sugar and the 1st lot of cinnamon and set aside.
Cream but and caster sugar in a bowl . Beat in eggs 1 at a time.
Stir in feijoa mixture sifted flour, baking soda and 2nd lot of cinnamon and nutmeg alternately with sour cream.
Chocolate Glaze
130g Dark Chocolate 40g butter Microwave 1 minute 50% power. Whip till shiny.

Muffins 180o 15 mins
50g melted butter , 1 egg, Add 1 cup flour . 1/2 cup sugar 1 tsp baking powder pinch salt, 1 cup of feijoa and grated apple

Chutney
1kg Onions 300g sultanas 300g dates chopped 450g brown sugar 4 tbs plain salt 1tbs curry powder and ground ginger 1tsp cloves and cayenne 1 litre vinegar
Bring to boil 1 and 1/2 hours. Stir often put into sterilized jars

'Feijoas in Rose' wine
2 cups Rose' wine, 1/2 cup sugar bring to boil and simmer for 3 to 4 minutes ADD 1 dozen peeled halved feijoas and poach 10 minutes until tender. Serve with whipped cream

Courtesy Waikato Times

cookessentials, May 9, 4:26am
There is a feijoa recipe book available.
http://www.feijoa.co.nz/

sue62, Dec 6, 11:59pm
re the chutney. How many feijoas are there in this recipe? Thanks