Pork fillets

unknowndisorder, Jan 3, 10:24am
Valentino, have you attended her school?

petmacorpltd, Jan 3, 7:13pm
Valentino can you cook the Pork Char-Shu with pork fillets or does it need to be pork belly?

korbo, Aug 18, 4:03am
I have 2 large pork fillets, marinating to cook tomorrow.
Once I have drained the marinade off, what would be the best way to cook them.
They are about 8inches long and maybe 3inch in diameter. forgotten the weight.

korbo, Aug 18, 4:24am
would I pan fry, grill or just in a hot oven. too cold to go outside to BBQ

katalin2, Aug 18, 4:31am
I would cook it in slow cooker with some of the marinade- comes out like pulled pork.

korbo, Aug 18, 9:57am
I don't want it to be pulled pork, want to slice it. Trying to get the similar thing that chinese buffet places have with sliced pork.

cardiffgirl, Aug 18, 10:12am
If you want to cook it like Chinese BBQ pork, do it in a hot oven 200C.
Drain from marinade. Elevate on a rack in a roasting tin which has water in it ( will help keep it from drying out). Roast for 30 mins, turn the fillets over halfway and you can baste with a bit of honey or housing sauce). The pork should be a tiny bit charred when cooked. Let it sit for a few mins then slice on the diagonal. If you would like the recipe for marinade for Chinese pork that I've used for 30 odd years, sing out)

jwjmummy, Aug 18, 10:16am
I have been buying these from New World lately at quite reasonable prices. I take them from the fridge and when they reach room temp, brown them in a frypan then wrap in tinfoil and bake in the oven at about 180c - 190c . The time varies quite a bit depending on thickness from 10 to 20 minutes but I find the safest is to use a meat thermometer until it reaches just a tad under the correct temp for pork. I stand them for about 10 minutes then unwrap from the tinfoil and slice. They are very tender and slice easily.

korbo, Aug 18, 9:19pm
thank you cardiffgirl. would love the recipe.
I had a feeling that was the way to do them, but also the tin foi sounds good too. a decision to make now.

valentino, Aug 18, 10:18pm
Korbo, here is a couple of recipes for you to copy, paste to whatever for your collection.

They are superb and better than one think.

The first one is by a Japanese living in NZ and the second one is a French recipe.

Cheers.

Pork Cha-Shu (Courtesy of Sachie Nomura’s kitchen)

Cha-shu is pork cooked and marinated in a sweet soy sauce. The longer you cam marinate the meat, the better the taste will be. You can slice this and add to your favourite noodle dish or chop into small cubes for stir-fried rice.

1 kg boneless pork ribs or belly.
30 g fresh ginger sliced
2 spring onions – green part only
180 mil soy sauce
90mil mirin
90mil cooking sake
1 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp honey.

Roll pork and tie with string.

Place pork, ginger and spring onions in a large pot and cover with water.
Bring to boil and then simmer over low heat, uncovered, for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
Skim impurities from surface of stock.
Measure 180 mil of stock and set aside.

Place a saucepan over high heat and add soy sauce, mirin, sake, sugar, honey and the 180mil stock.
Bring to the boil.

Add pork to saucepan and cook in sauce over medium heat for 10 minutes.
Remove from heat and leave until cooled down.

Slice to serve or put pork with sauce in a zip-lock plastic bag or container and refrigerate overnight.
Remember, the longer you marinate the pork, the better the taste will be.

Pork Fillet with Sage and Orange
(Filet de Porc a la Sauge)

2 Pork Fillets about 350g each
1 tbsp butter
½ cup dry sherry
¾ cup chicken stock (liquid)
2 Garlic cloves finely chopped
Grated rind and juice of 1 orange
3 or 4 Sage leaves finely chopped
2 tsp cornflour
Salt and Freshly ground black pepper
Orange wedges and sage leaves to garnish.

Season Pork lightly with salt and pepper.
Melt butter in heavy flameproof casserole dish over a medium – high heat, then add the meat and cook for 5-6 minutes, turning to brown all sides evenly.

Add sherry, boil for about a minute, then add stock, garlic, rind and sage.
Bring to boil and reduce heat to low, then cover and simmer for 20 minutes., turning once until the juices run clear when the meat is pierced with a knife or meat thermometer inserted io the thickest part registers 66C.
Transfer the Pork to a warm platter and cover to keep warm.

Bring the sauce to the boil.
Blend the cornflour and juice and stir into the sauce, then boil gently over a medium heat for a few minutes, stirring frequently, until the sauce is slightly thickened.
Strain into a gravy boat or serving jug.

Slice the Pork diagonally and pour the meat juices into the sauce.
Spoon a little of the sauce over the pork and garnish with orange wedges and sage leaves.
Serve the remaining sauce separately.

Cheers and Enjoy.

cardiffgirl, Aug 19, 12:23am
Korbo, I make up this marinade for about 1 kilo pork fillet.
3 Tbs light soy sauce
I tablespoon dry sherry/ Chinese cooking wine/ dry white wine. Whichever one you have.
2 Tbs tomato ketchup
2 Tbs pineapple or orange juice
1 Tbs sugar
1 Tbs honey
3 Tbs hoisin sauce
1 teaspoon 5 spice powder
2 cloves garlic peeled crushed and coarsely chopped.
Slice the fillets lengthways into strips about 2 inch wide, I inch thick .
Place them flat in a shallow dish.
Mix all the marinade ingredients together till they are well blended and pour over the meat, rubbing it in well into both sides. Cover and marinate for about 3 hrs at room temperature, turning the strips a few time.you can also refrigerate the meat, but no longer than 6 hrs because it damages the firm texture. If you put it in the fridge, let it come up to room temperature before roasting.
I was given this recipe at a cooking class I attended in 1981 when I was living in HongKong. Traditionally the pork is cooked in a vertical oven. You can sort of reproduce that method by taking all the racks out of the oven except for the top one. You then put a strong opened paper clip though each strip and hang them off the rack with the pan of water underneath.
I have done this but I think laying them on a rack over the water works just as well!
You can add red food colouring if you want the pork to look like the stuff you get in Chinese takeaways but I don't use it. The tomato ketchup and hoisin gives enough colour.

korbo, Aug 19, 12:44am
thank you very much

korbo, Aug 19, 8:22am
omgosh. this was the most yummy pork I have had for ages. It was so tender, and I had to stop myself from eating more.
I actually used. 1/2 jar of Pams Orential Honey Soy simmer sauce as the marinade.poked holes in the fillets, and left for 24hr.
I didnt drain all the marinade off, and put on a rack as quoted above.
thanks so much, will be on the lookout for them again.

valentino, Aug 19, 10:44pm
Must say well done korbo for going inside the square and do it the simple easy way. Re-noted your post 1 and yes, you needed a way of cooking the pork, once again - Well Done.

Those jars of prepared marinades can be quite good at times but along with cardiffgirl - I like doing things from scratch, is more rewarding and helps to develop ones cooking wise using various more common Pantry ingredients.

Cheers

cardiffgirl, Aug 19, 11:15pm
You can also get jars of Char Sui marinade in the supermarket if you want quick and easy. They will be in the aisle where other Asian stuff is. I haven't used them but others have said that they are nice.

valentino, Aug 20, 2:28am
Friend uses that "Lee Kum Kee" Char Siu Marinade out of a small jar when doing Pork Shoulder Chops. I prefer fresh sage, white wine sauce when I do Loin Chops, so much nicer but yeah - Char Siu from that jar works okay for some.

korbo, Aug 20, 9:36am
awe, jut found out there is a new Asian supermarket in my town.will be doing a shop there.

korbo, Aug 21, 6:09am
used the rest of the jar in slow cooker with a chicken today. just poured it over the skinned chook and let it cook for about 5hrs. just had a taste.
yummmmo.

karlymouse, Aug 21, 7:18am
valentino wrote:
Korbo, here is a couple of recipes for you to copy, paste to whatever for your collection.

They are superb and better than one think.

The first one is by a Japanese living in NZ and the second one is a French recipe.

Cheers.

Pork Cha-Shu (Courtesy of Sachie Nomura’s kitchen)

Cha-shu is pork cooked and marinated in a sweet soy sauce. The longer you cam marinate the meat, the better the taste will be. You can slice this and add to your favourite noodle dish or chop into small cubes for stir-fried rice.

1 kg boneless pork ribs or belly.
30 g fresh ginger sliced
2 spring onions – green part only
180 mil soy sauce
90mil mirin
90mil cooking sake
1 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp honey.

Roll pork and tie with string.

Bring to boil and then simmer over low heat, uncovered, for 45 minutes to 1 hour.

Place a saucepan over high heat and add soy sauce, mirin, sake, sugar, honey and the 180mil stock.
Bring to the boil.

Slice to serve or put pork with sauce in a zip-lock plastic bag or container and refrigerate overnight.
Remember, the longer you marinate the pork, the better the taste will be.

Add sherry, boil for about a minute, then add stock, garlic, rind and sage.
Bring to boil and reduce heat to low, then cover and simmer for 20 minutes., turning once until the juices run clear when the meat is pierced with a knife or meat thermometer inserted io the thickest part registers 66C.
Transfer the Pork to a warm platter and cover to keep warm.

Hi can you clarify the first recipe. you talk about the longer marinating the better etc. but I can't see where you talk at all about marinating. When does this marinating take place. before you boil the pork ? slightly confusing. - otherwise I plan on trying it once this is sorted out.

valentino, Aug 21, 7:44am
"Hi can you clarify the first recipe. you talk about the longer marinating the better etc. but I can't see where you talk at all about marinating. When does this marinating take place. before you boil the pork ? slightly confusing. - otherwise I plan on trying it once this is sorted out.", Please read this section of recipe at least twice perhaps.

Bring to the boil.

Hi, this is the overall marinating section and note the last couple of words, "refrigerate overnight" which can be including or longer as per note to recipe.

Hopes this is clear and of help.

It is very nice after an overnight especially if looking to go ta a beach or a nice picnic place.

karlymouse, Aug 22, 12:34am
Smart reply thanks. I have never considered cooking something in flavoured liquid "marinating" perhaps I need to go back to cookery class

valentino, Aug 22, 1:01am
Japanese style of cooking - marinating.

It occurs quite a bit, another one I love is Salmon in a teriyaki sauce - marinade for 30 minutes then the sauce is used to baste prior to cooking then as a dressing afterwards.

Cheers.

valentino, Aug 22, 1:20am
Slightly OT karlymouse but try this simple recipe by the same person above, it is very nice.

Beetroot and Plum Wine Salmon.

Place a 450g approx. Salmon fillet in a zip lock plastic bag with about 1/2 to 2/3 cup of shredded or grated beetroot, 100 mil of plum wine, 2 tbsp. flaky sea salt and zip lock the bag and marinate overnight at least in the refrigerator.
Slice salmon finely and serve with a lime cut in half and squeeze to taste.

This is real beautiful and simple and ideal as a party or supper starter.

Cheers.

valentino, May 20, 11:01am
Noted a cooking school, check out her link.
http://www.bite.co.nz/our-people/974/Sachie-Nomura/

LOL.

Cheers