Remember the old crumbed chops of the 1970s . I

Page 1 / 2
karlymouse, Jul 26, 8:44am
used to love them. crunchy and crispy. now of course we know that it was the fatty chops and they are rarely if at all seen

awoftam, Jul 26, 8:59am
I love crumbed chops - don't have them often. They are shoulder chops and many butchers do them as do some supermarkets. If not you can just buy lamb shoulder chops and crumb them yourself. Mix in fresh/dried herbs and sesame seeds and munch on down. Yummo.

sampa, Jul 26, 9:04am
Back in the day they were great. just needed an orientation map to find your way to the meat itself. That was like the *mystery prize*.

Filled tums though. :)

floralsun, Jul 27, 6:24am
I thought of them recently, no longer in butchers/supermarkets. Crunchy coating was tasty.

awoftam, Jul 27, 6:27am
New World In Tauranga have them, as does the supermarket where I live. . and my butcher will do them for me if I ask. And as I said above, you can do them yourself. Panko make them all crunchy without having crumbs baked in oil and god knows what else to make them bright yellow. Easy peasy. And a good shoulder chop has very little fat and very very tasty!

anne1955, Jul 27, 7:23am
They are still around in DN at supermarkets ) I could never get them to fry nicely without at least onside burning sadly No other crumbed things ever now or then caused me such distress. If I ate them at friends they always where great maybe it was oven cooking I needed to do?

eastie3, Jul 27, 7:59am
Miramar NW always has them at a good price. I add fresh rosemary,cook them med/high heat on one side then cover the pan and turn the heat down. Crispy on the outside, tender to the bite and I'm very popular when I dish them up.

samanya, Jul 27, 8:08am
I do crumbed chops but I crumb my own. Fresh breadcrumbs or panko . heaps of fresh herbs of choice, with a pinch of curry . Flour dip, egg dip & coat . scrummy.

awoftam, Jul 27, 8:16am
I have crumbed sirloin as well, and rump. Served with a fresh sauce it is really really nice and a different take on steak.

susense, Jul 27, 8:37am
Yum yes please

karlymouse, Jul 27, 10:25am
Actually if you are into crumbs. then many years ago on honeymoon at the motel. the .lady covered the bacon with crumbs and it was yummy too .

rainrain1, Jul 27, 7:23pm
Crumbed chops for dinner tonight it is then, they are nicer if you crumb your own. can't wait

awoftam, Sep 29, 6:18am
It's a meat night. Sizzling away gently in some herb and olive oil x butter mix is a chop I crumbed in a panko and fresh herb mix last night and tucked away in the fridge. I can't wait! It smells amazing.

beaker59, Sep 30, 4:27am
We have had crumbed chops baked a few times lately as shoulder chops are so cheap at the moment. Lay the chops in a roasting tray cover with chopped onions then sprinkle thickly with spiced seasoned breadcrumbs bake one hour at 180 fanbake so simple cheap and easy. If the chops aren't so fatty then you can put a few knobs of butter on the crumbs.

whitehead., Sep 30, 4:38am
cook them in your oven have the oven on 200c and put your roasting dish in to hot up then drop your chops in tem minutes on each side if i remeber right it was a long time ago . i floured and egg and bread crumbed them my self because i could remove the fat from them first

samanya, Sep 30, 5:12am
Absolutely!
rainrain1, I have an old recipe book called "Mary had a Little Lamb & this is how she cooked it" & if you ever see one on here for sale . grab it . worth it's weight in gold, for so many sheep recipes . from lamb to mutton . brilliant!

uli, Sep 30, 5:27am

sampa, Sep 30, 6:18am
Which suggests that Mary's wee lamb never made it to mutton but, all good, maybe she moved on to greener pastures (her - not the lamb) after her first taste of all things sheep.

samanya, Sep 30, 6:38am
That was complicated!

samanya, Sep 30, 6:40am
Oh yes . the little lambies made it to hogget & mutton ok. It's well worth a look

rainrain1, Sep 30, 6:54am
The title temps me, I will keep a look out, thankyou

samanya, Sep 30, 7:00am
Just got the book out . Rhoda Nation is the author.

illusion_, Sep 30, 7:09am
Interesting. Thanks muchly for that. Must try. Sounds yummy.

glasshalfull, Sep 30, 8:01am
I buy pork pieces and crumb them with a mixture of cook and coat and breadcrumbs. Then bake them in the oven. Delicious!

lythande1, Sep 30, 5:29pm
Or now we know, after a period of being told fat was the evil one, that it isn't.