Goat chops

Page 1 / 2
isis., Apr 3, 8:22am
Good evening everyone, I let the flatmate do the meat shopping and have ended up with goat chops.. :/

What can I do with them? Iv never cooked them before

jessie981, Apr 3, 8:30am
OMG, I have never heard of them let alone would I eat them! Guess you may need to bake them slowly in the oven. Yuck,
There are recipes on Google.

uli, Apr 3, 8:49am
Wonderful!

Why jessie calls them "yuck" is beyond me - obviously she is vegetarian?

Not knowing the age of the goat involved I would casserole them - use any lamb neck casserole recipe or similar.

If you'd know the goat is young you could pan fry them - but as I said above - to be on the safe side - braise or casserole is the way to go. Good luck!

jessie981, Apr 3, 8:54am
No uli, plain meat eater, never assume. Have you tasted them?

isis., Apr 3, 8:56am
right, casserole it is....so cook exactly as I would lamb neck chops? THey are about the same size as them just waaaaaaay darker

uli, Apr 3, 9:01am
x1
Of course!
I kill several of my own goats every year LOL :)
Why would you think goat is "yuck" is beyond me - have YOU eaten goat before I wonder?

uli, Apr 3, 9:03am
Yep - go for a neck chop recipe.
Personally I use herbsin abundance, like thyme and rosemary and bay leaves - plus of course lots of red wine and fried onions and garlic! :)

Let us know how it turned out!

beaker59, Apr 3, 9:48am
If you like curry then Goat meat makes awesome curry. I also eat allot of goat but mine generally is wild goat.

Jesse Goat is one of the most popular meats in the rest of the world for good reason it is tasty and very low fat. Its been almost unknown in this country for a while now but is steadily gaining popularity.

Roasted leg of goat can be spectacular better than Lamb in my opinion.

elliehen, Apr 3, 9:49am
Poster might be thinking of an old billygoat with a yellow beard ;)

BTW at the very end of Masterchef tonight, I think the promo said that they're going to be cooking goat next week, for all the goat-killers/eaters out there.

beaker59, Apr 3, 10:07am
I saw that and will be watching for sure.

Actually Billies are OK to eat only reason allot of people avoid them is the stench on the outside(they pee all over themselves) the meat inside isn't too bad really. Also in a flock there are a couple of mature stinky billies but several lesser specimens of the male goat species who seem to repress thier sexual urges and get nice and fat and not particularly stinky(I call them the teenage boys) they are among the best eating of all. The mature billies are sought after by the Indian community I am lead to believe.

dollertree, Apr 3, 7:26pm
As above they are very good to make curry.......not much fat either.

jessie981, Apr 3, 8:28pm
Still not convinced elliehen. Guess we al have different tastes. I couldn' teat duck or rabbit either. Have a good day. Off to work.

anne1955, Apr 3, 8:38pm
Goat Great meat, use to get it from a firend when I lived in Western Australia and young leg of goat roasted was nicer than any lamb yes sadly even NZ lamb As for rabbit that's great as well but be buggered if I am paying 20.00 each for them from the butchers...And nothing wrong with duck either..oh if I could find a hunter, fisher, gather'er I could fall in love, well ok maybe I am getting carried away but I know we'd be able to eat well..

ant_sonja, Apr 3, 8:41pm
If the chops are from a younger animal then yum! I have had goat many times and depending on how its cooked find it preferable to lamb. Use any lamb chop recipe you like - for an older bit of goat treat like mutton and slow cook with your favorite herbs & spices until tender :-)

elliehen, Apr 3, 9:52pm
jessie, I'm not a goat-eater either.I've had four-legged friends who were goats and I don't eat friends -or their relatives ;)

alby100, Apr 3, 11:27pm
Go Jamamcian, Curry Goat...

lissy73, Apr 4, 5:04am
Yum... goat....

martine5, Apr 4, 5:16am
Well I heard that they did something much worse than pee on themselves.

beaker59, Apr 4, 5:47am
Quite likely as they are dirty old billies, as I said though the meat on the inside is fine.

isis., Apr 4, 8:22am
Good evening everyone, I let the flatmate do the meat shopping and have ended up with goat chops. :/

What can I do with them! Iv never cooked them before

uli, Apr 4, 8:49am
Wonderful!

Why jessie calls them "yuck" is beyond me - obviously she is vegetarian!

Not knowing the age of the goat involved I would casserole them - use any lamb neck casserole recipe or similar.

If you'd know the goat is young you could pan fry them - but as I said above - to be on the safe side - braise or casserole is the way to go. Good luck!

jessie981, Apr 4, 8:54am
No uli, plain meat eater, never assume. Have you tasted them!

isis., Apr 4, 8:56am
right, casserole it is.so cook exactly as I would lamb neck chops! THey are about the same size as them just waaaaaaay darker

uli, Apr 4, 9:01am
Of course!
I kill several of my own goats every year LOL :)
Why would you think goat is "yuck" is beyond me - have YOU eaten goat before I wonder!

elliehen, Apr 4, 9:49am
Poster might be thinking of an old billygoat with a yellow beard ;)

BTW at the very end of Masterchef tonight, I think the promo said that they're going to be cooking goat next week, for all the goat-killers/eaters out there.