Chesdale cheese

Page 1 / 2
sticky232, Jul 17, 6:44am
Has anyone seen the chesdale blocks of cheese miss them were made by kraft

ljayl, Jul 17, 7:02am
I think they are in the vegemite isle in Countdown . sort of above the jars . but I could be wrong . will check tomorrow when we shop.

niffer13, Jul 17, 7:07am
Yes chesdale used to be a favourite when our family were young. Must look for it again!

uli, Jul 17, 9:13am
". Chesdale Cheese was a variety of cheese produced for the mass market in New Zealand. Chiefly remembered for its very memorable animated television advertising with the jingle sung by two cartoon characters Ches and Dale wearing gumboots and black singlet. "

". This brand of cheese, or a derivative thereof, is still produced and sold in individually wrapped, pre-sliced portions. This (combined with its highly processed nature) has given it the popular slang name of "plastic cheese" or (more formally) "processed cheese". "

http://en.academic.ru/dic.nsf/enwiki/152189

davidt4, Jul 17, 9:20am
Oh No! Now I've got the jingle running through my head.

sampa, Jul 17, 9:23am
I remember buying this on a whim due to fond childhood memories a few years ago (no idea if it's still available) and being dissapointed. Tastes can change I guess but good luck getting hold of it, maybe you'll enjoy it better than I did.

sampa, Jul 17, 9:25am
Nearly as bad as the old KFC one back in the days before they relabeled to leave out the term 'fried'. ;-)

. and Hugo said you go.

wendalls, Jul 17, 9:36am
And I said no you go. So we sat in the back. ! Can still picture that car going from side to side. I could barely describe an ad these days if it wasn't for my husband making me watch the new BP and Vodafone ads of cute animals being rescued.

sampa, Jul 17, 9:17pm
LOL wendalls. adds are those things that pop up in the side bar of websites aren't they? Sometimes I wonder why we have a telly dominating our lounge but, the man still likes to watch stuff that way (although he's also rather fond of his laptop since he bought his first ever last year - sometimes he even has more than one tab open at a time! ;)

cleggyboy, Jul 17, 9:31pm
I used to work in my school holidays for a factory called Butland Industries
they used to be on the Gt South Road Ellerslie,they made that cheese, as well as bottled L&P worcestershire sauce, Macleans toothpaste, Eno's Fruit Salts, many fruit cake mixes etc etc.Canned baked beans & spagetti.

griffo4, Jul 17, 11:41pm
Used to have a recipe where you put chesdale cheese in a pot with water and onion to make into a spread it was nice but not sure what it would taste like now
It was good for sandwiches and the kids loved it as well

jan2242, Jul 17, 11:48pm
http://folksong.org.nz/chesdale/
even the sheet music is here LOL

dilligaf_dah, Jul 20, 1:03am
I can not get it here and have tried all the supermarkets. SO I get it from Ausie, each time I go I buy 4 large (500gr) blocks and my sister sends them to me also. Have just opened another one. Yummy cheese for lunch.

buzzy110, Jul 20, 3:31am
Is that the one that goes:
We are the boys from down on the farm
We really know our cheese.
There's much better value in Chesdale
It rarely fails to please. ?

Or something like that

samanya, Jul 20, 5:11am
OMG . that Hugo one with the obese family bouncing along in the car . to this day I see an obese family & think of that advert!

davidt4, Jul 20, 5:26am
No! Please No! If you carry on like that Buzzy I might have to block you!

uli, Jul 20, 5:48am
The full text is in the link at post 4 :)
Please do not block me DT4!

samanya, Jul 20, 6:00am
Me too . plastic cheese & a jingle that gets stuck in the head . blerk!

awoftam, Jul 20, 7:45am
Finest Cheddar. Made better.

Really? Was at the time tho!

davidt4, Jul 20, 8:58am
I must have eaten it when I was a child, but I can't remember what it tasted like. All I can remember is an unpleasant sticky texture and little triangles wrapped in foil.

awoftam, Jul 20, 9:01am
Same.

slimgym, Jul 20, 5:02pm
just sing happy birthday, I heard or read somewhere if you get a song stuck in your head, sing happy birthday and it goes

sampa, Jul 20, 10:57pm
But the real mystery is . whatever happened to those bread rolls that you used to get with Kentucky Fried (back in the day when they were being honest about their product - fried - )? They were kind of yellow and probably full of MSG but they were good. Well at least I thought they were. back then. maybe they'd be consigned to the same place in my memory as chesdale cheese should I ever get to try them again lol.

jewlz, Jul 21, 8:13am
We still make this. Now that you can't buy the blocks in the yellow box, I just buy colby grated cheddar.Add half cup of milk to 3 cups grated cheese and a chopped onion, salt/pepper. Put in pot and melt on low heat enough to combine. DONT let it boil. Pour into a airtight container, allow to cool, keep in fridge. YUMMO!

terraalba, Jul 21, 8:20am
For those of you who remember the jingle
Let's see if we can get the whole thing out quickly a few words at a time per poster.

Starter
We are the.