Frostings Fillings And Icings

Page 2 / 2
245sam, Sep 3, 4:37am
Edmond's BUTTER ICING FOR CHRISTMAS CAKE - keeps well
170g butter
500g icing sugar
3 tbsp. wine or brandy
2 tsp vanilla essence

Cream the butter with the sifted icing sugar. Add the brandy or wine and the vanilla essence. Beat well until smooth. Spread over the cake.
To achieve a smooth finish, dip a flat-bladed knife into hot water, quickly wipe with a paper towel and smooth over the surface of the icing. Keep doing this until as smooth preferred.
Alternatively as soon as the cake is evenly covered with the icing, make a roughish surface - with this particular icing, it is my preferred finish. I use the end of a blunt knife and a patting movement on the top of the cake (and on the sides too) to achieve the 'roughened' look. :-))

kaddiew, Sep 3, 6:10am
Especially if you then drizzle a little passionfruit over the lemon honey/cream.

cookessentials, Sep 3, 6:37am
Yes, it would be great. Especially as pavlova is usually very sweet.

cookessentials, Sep 4, 7:58am
For chocolate Vienna cream frosting, just add two tsp cocoa to the icing sugar before you sift it. Use the basic Vienna frosting recipe.

kaddiew, Sep 4, 9:16pm
Haven't tried this; assume it's like a passionfruit curd.

EDMONDS Passionfruit Filling (will keep)
1tbsp butter
3tbsp sugar
4 passionfruit
1 egg

Melt butter in saucepan; add sugar, passionfruit pulp and beaten egg. Stir over low heat until mixture thickens slightly. Large quantities will keep in airtight jars.

kaddiew, Sep 4, 9:20pm
EDMONDS Walnut Filling for cakes/biscuits.

Mix together
2 tbsp ground almonds
1 tsp orange juice
1 tbsp chopped walnuts
3 tbsp apricot jam

cookessentials, Sep 10, 12:04am
Post #861 Recipe For Chocolate Butter Cream
125g unsalted butter, chopped.
125g dark chocolate, chopped

Melt butter and chocolate in a small bowl over hot water. Cool to room tem p. Beat with a wooden spoon until thick and spreadable.

cookessentials, Sep 16, 9:42pm
Bumping for the ganache versus butter cream post.

johnwood, Sep 18, 3:58am
Another yum from me thanks people. (mrs jw)

dibble35, Oct 19, 7:48pm
I made this yesterday to go on top of my Hummingbird recipe cupcakes and I must say absolutely delicious. 1st time i'd tried either recipe - yummy.
My cupcakes looked very nice. Blue and yellow wrappers, yellow frosting and I made bright blue decorations out of Fondant, some hearts, stars and butterflies.

cookessentials, Oct 25, 6:37pm
Fabulous dibble, great to hear.

1suze, Oct 26, 5:16am
thanks dibble, will have a test run tomorrow and see how they go.

blt10, Oct 29, 5:49am
Great thread.

1suze, Oct 29, 11:27pm
Tried it and it was YUM, thanks

bev00, Nov 16, 11:08am
Chocolate/cream cheese frosting for cupcakes

1/2 cup of room temperature butter
85 gms of room temperature cream cheese
450 gms icing sugar
1/4 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup dark chocolate chips

Beat the butter and cream cheese together in a bowl with a mixer until creamy. Slowly add in the icing sugar until well blended, slowly add the milk and vanilla until it is nice and smooth. Melt the chocolate chips over double boiler or 30 sec bursts in microwave, then gradually add the chocolate to the cream cheese mixture until it is all blended and smooth.
You may need to pop in to the fridge for a short time if you want to pipe it to allow it to firm up a little.

Quotediamond-fan (14 ) 5:00 pm, Thu 15 Nov #2

bev00, Nov 21, 10:35am
Brown sugar frosting for banana cake

1 cup brown sugar, 1dessertspoon butter, 1/4 cup milk. Place in saucepan and stir until mixture boils. Simmer 5 min without stirring. Beat until thick enough to spread.
*Original poster's note:" I use electric beaters, and take care not to overbeat or the fudge will set before you can get it on the cake."

I usually fail miserably due to overbeating when it comes to fudge, so was very cautious with this recipe. Used an electric hand held beater, and stopped as soon as it JUST started to thicken - when it still seemed too runny. That way most of it could be poured out of the pan, spread over the cake, and any runs down the sides (if you don't want them!) spread back up before it started to set.

Having said that, I'll probably overbeat it next time! :)

Edited by kaddiew at 4:17 pm, Sun 13 Oct

valentino, Dec 6, 12:32am
Royal Icings are very similar from one recipe to another.

Egg Whites, lemon juice and icing sugar is the norm but just slightly in amount from one to another.

A very good basic recipe.

Royal icing recipe

Ingredients:
2 egg whites
2 tsp lemon juice
3 cups icing sugar, sifted

Method:
Using an electric mixer, whisk egg whites with the lemon juice until combined.
Gradually add in sifted icing sugar on low speed until smooth.
Add food colour of your choice.
Pipe onto cookies or cake.
For writing icing, you can put the icing in a ziploc bag and
snip the corner to create a homemade icing bag.
Leave for 2-3 hours to set hard.

Notes:
Use immediately or transfer to an airtight container as this icing hardens when exposed to air.
This recipe is great to use on gingerbread men. You can pipe it onto the edge of cookies and flood the centre with sugar icing.
This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot

A recipe from the Chelsea Sugar Co uses Tablespoon of lemon and 2 1/2 cups icing sugar plus some water, Allyson Gofton uses only 1 tsp of lemon 2 cups icing sugar and 1 egg white.

So all are very similar.

Cheers and be ready to ice those Christmas cakes plus piping those fancy art-work.

Editing to add this note from Chelsea Sugar Co. "Note: Contains raw egg whites - not suitable for pregnant women to eat and those on restricted diets. "

katalin2, Dec 6, 4:54am
I would like to know what you sandwich home made macaroons together with- making them for daughter's wedding, and would also like to know how many days before use can they be sandwiched together?

valentino, Dec 6, 7:17am
Suggest to use a Ganache type filling or a buttericing filling.

Both can keep for a week at least.

Ganache Filling
100g fresh cream
200 g white chocolate, finely chopped
⅛ teaspoon Chinese Five Spice powder
Place the cream into a saucepan and gently bring to the boil. Remove from the heat, add the chocolate and Chinese Five Spice powder, stir using a wooden spoon until the chocolate has melted, you may need to put the saucepan back onto the warm but not switched on heat to melt all the chocolate.
Pour into a small bowl and cover, leave out at room temperature to cool, do not put in the fridge. Then when you are ready to fill your macaroons use a wooden spoon, beat until the ganache changes colour and become lighter in texture, but it is still smooth and soft.
Place the ganache into a piping bag fitted with a small plain piping tube. Take one macaroon in your fingers and pipe a small dot of ganache onto the bottom and then sandwich with another, bottom to bottom. Continue until all the macaroons have been sandwiched. Allow the ganache to set before eating, if you can wait that long!

Vanilla butter icing
60g unsalted butter, softened
1 vanilla bean, split and seeds scraped
½ cup pure icing sugar, sifted

To make the butter icing beat the butter and vanilla with an electric mixer for 6-8 minutes or until pale and creamy. Add the icing sugar and beat for a further 10 minutes or until pale and fluffy. Place the mixture in a piping bag and place in the fridge until needed.

Using butter icing allows extras like slice strawberries that can be part of the filling. Maybe something else, options abounds.

Cheers and all the best.

skydancing, Dec 6, 9:50am
Help needed . i have seen strawberries stuffed with a filling that was typically American made with instant pudding but am thinking along the lines of something done with cream cheese. which of the fillings etc above would you recommend. Just something i would really like to try out. Cheers

unknowndisorder, Dec 16, 11:35pm
for those like me wanting a couple of ideas for icing :)

valentino, May 6, 6:47pm
To make a fruit or berry icing, simply simmer some fruit or berries of choice in a saucepan without burning the bottom.
The idea is to pulp the fruit and then simmer to reduce the natural liquid a little but to have enough liquid to mix with icing sugar as noted next.

Cool a little then add some icing sugar, stir to mix and continue adding a bit by bit stirring after each addition until the right consistency is required or to taste.

A nice tip (Off the Topic of this Thread) is the first bit is great also for Ice Cream, simply thaw the ice cream enough, mix in the pulp as noted above then refreeze.

The syrup is nice blended with whipped cream or even rippled or drizzled into the whipped cream.