Stew and Dumplings. Have not had these

clair4, Aug 14, 3:22am
for years and just feel like some. Anyone got a nice light recipe. Have looked a few up, but they say to use suet which I don't think you can buy now. Thought I would make a steak and kidney stew with the dumplings on top. Many thanks in anticipation.

cgvl, Aug 14, 3:32am
I just make a steak and kidney stew like a normal steak casserole/stew. Then make dumplings to go on top. Dumpling mix is flour, BP, butter or cheese, salt, pepper some herbs if desired and mixed with water to a scone dough consistency. I roll into balls and drop on top of stew cover and simmer until cooked. You can roll it out to fit like a lid but I find it easier to do individual ones.

biggles45, Aug 14, 3:41am
You can buy suet in the english aisle of countdown or at most of the English shops if you have one close by. It is Atora vegetable suet, not beef suet, but I find it works just as well for dumplings.

125g flour
1 tsp baking powder
pinch salt
60g suet

Mix it all together with just enough water to make a dryish dough. Roll into small balls and put in stew about 20 minutes before stew is cooked. Lovely, light fluffy dumplings. this recipe is for 4 people.

clair4, Aug 14, 3:46am
Thanks, I will try Countdown. There is a English shop in Hamilton, so next time I am around there I will have a look. May thanks for the recipes.

uli, Aug 14, 6:14am
Even Pak'n'Save and the Mad Butcher have suet.

nauru, Aug 14, 7:23am
I don't make dumplings these days but I used to use oil instead of suet when I did and they are much lighter and not so stodgy.

awoftam, Aug 14, 7:49am
I use cream and they are yum.

village.green, Aug 14, 8:04am
I am not a dumpling fan but made the Edmonds Cookery book ones on weekend on the recommendation of a friend (uses butter) and they were very light and very delish - I was very impressed. I cooked them on top of a beef cheek stew and made them quite small, took about 10 mins. Not doughy either.

uli, Aug 15, 1:26am
Ahhh beef cheeks .

biggles45, Aug 15, 3:41am
They shouldn't be stodgy with suet. They are usually very light and fluffy.

clair4, Dec 31, 9:49am
Had these for tea tonight and used the Edmonds Recipe. Partner had 2 helpings and there is enough for tomorrow as well. Really enjoyed for a change.