Cheese sauce. How do you make yours

Page 2 / 2
rainrain1, Oct 6, 9:32pm
Didn't say you were, your comment at the end of all those recipes amused me. that's all !

sapphire152, Oct 6, 9:35pm
waiting to get told how gross that is

muffin2, Oct 6, 9:45pm
it's esay to make a cheese sauce
as many others have mentioned start with a roux.
I usually use about 40g butter and a heaped table spoon of plain flour and cook that out then add milk a little bit at a time - switch to a whisk and continually whisk until the milk has been incorporated (about 1 cup) then add in about 2-3 cups of cheese either grated or cut into cubes.
turn the heat right down and stir until cheese has melted

amiri1, Oct 6, 11:38pm
Cream, cream cheese (philli block not spreadable), cheese and half a teaspoon of colmans mustard (already mixed).

Gently heat all ingredients while mixing, until melted. Ta da! Done! I haven't tried this in a microwave though.

It doesn't take long and is very cheesy tasting. I normally use mild cheese and I like a strong cheese sauce! Gluten free depending on the mustard. :)

buzzy110, Oct 6, 11:45pm
Your recipe sounds awesome amiri. I will certainly be trying it out.

sarahb5, Oct 7, 12:17am
Ah yes - I believe this is more like a veloute rather than white sauce/bechamel flavoured with cheese

sarahb5, Oct 7, 12:18am
Sounds very rich with the cream and cream cheese

janbodean, Oct 7, 12:30am
That is arrant nonsense. The fact is that microwave cooking can often increase the nutritional value when compared to some other cooking methods. Are you aware that canned tomatoes have a higher nutritional value than raw ones due to an increase in licopene?

amiri1, Oct 7, 1:15am
It is, so you only need to drizzle it on! :)

sarahb5, Oct 7, 2:02am
If I'm having cheese sauce I like lashings of it - especially for lasagne, cauliflower cheese, etc. I have stirred herb & garlic cream cheese through pasta for a quick meal but that's about as rich as I can handle.

nauru, Oct 7, 6:44am
I make my sauces in the MW, for cheese sauce, I coat the cheese in the cornflour before adding to the heated seasoned milk. Giving it a good whisk before putting back into the MW, then giving an occasional whisk until thickened, never had it curdle yet.

earth_moon, Oct 7, 6:44am
Oh amiri. I tried your cheese sauce. Oh it is LETHAL! Very rich and very, very, YUMMY! I love it!

wasala, Oct 7, 7:30am
Can you post quantities please?

amiri1, Oct 7, 11:23am
I measure with my eyes for this! Maybe start with 1/3 cream cheese to 2/3s cream and then mustard and grated cheese (or slices or chunks depending on how lazy I am) to thicken and taste. Sorry I couldn't be more specific wasala. I'll try and remember to measure when I next make it!
Thanks earth_moon, it's also an easy gluten free, low carb alternative to normal cheese sauce!
Even though I say to drizzle it in a post above, I swamp my veges with it because I like a lot of cheese sauce and I can handle rich! :)

sarahb5, Oct 7, 11:31am
Cook 25g of butter, 40g of flour (equal volume, not weight) and 450mls of milk in the microwave for a minute until butter has melted. Whisk to ensure no lumps and microwave in 1 minute bursts until it's thick enough. Add 1/4 tsp dry mustard powder, some cayenne pepper and 75g of grated tasty cheese. Beat until smooth but do not "cook" again once cheese is added

we_egg, Oct 10, 6:56am
mine is smiliar to Sarah5. 1 cup milk 2 table flour. Give it a whisk. Throw in good blob of butter and cook in micro for about 1min. take out whisk and put back in micro for another 30secs. Whisk and then keep microwaving till its thick. Once at desired thickness add 1/2 cup grated cheese. walaa. works everytime.

awoftam, Oct 10, 7:04am
Here is mine.

Melt 50g butter
When it is bubbling away add 2 small T flour and whisk so it foams and bubbles( about 1 - 2 mins it will go a bit lighter). Can add garlic here if you want.
Take off the heat and whisk in 1 C milk, or half and half (you may need more depending on how thick you like your sauce) and I T Dijon mustard
Stir in grated parmesan to your taste, let it melt into the sauce.
Taste, add any salt and pepper you think it needs.

kindajojo, Oct 10, 7:24am
If you want kick throw in some blue cheese . kapit triple blue. just a bit at a time depending on if you want a little prod or a full on wollop

daarhn, Oct 10, 7:34am
if its for a large crowd and I need large quantities, then mix flour and oil together then fry off adding warmed milk, until thickened. Then cheese and seasoned. Finely chopped chives, parsley added before serving

If intimate gathering then butter fried until nutty adding flour then fried again until frothy, slowly adding simmering full cream milk and cream that has had spices herbs infused stirring until thickened. Then good quality grated cheeses of your choice and well seasoned. Or for a fondue style add a glass white wine.

For richer flavour for a particular dish then also add block cream cheese or marscopone. Stir on low heat until deliciously melted and velvety.

roseann48, Oct 10, 9:10am
I used to cook for 60 - 80 people a day & always made cheese sauce simply & never failed.
Put flour into saucepan, add little curry powder & salt & pepper. Pour in cold milk while whisking. Place on low heat stirring frequently until thick. Turn off heat & add grated cheese. Make same way in microwave.
The addition of beaten egg/eggs improves the texture but not necessary.

sampa, Oct 10, 9:22am
The milk may be more suspect than the cheese. The way milk is produced has changed to allow/include what is called by the industry permeate (whey - by product of dairy products). Which type of milk are you using for your cheese sauce?

kindajojo, Oct 10, 6:40pm
Agree I use raw milk unpasteurised, it has different properties when cooking , it does stay together better and makes a thicker richer creamier sauce.
Makes beautiful hot chocolates as well.

nadznz, Sep 8, 4:43pm
Check the butter you are using. Some of the cheaper brands have added water (Budget, Pams, Dairy Maid). It will say on the label.