Pikelets at at cafes instead of pancakes,, bluurgh

Page 2 / 2
kay141, Mar 18, 6:34am
Ooh Where can you get a steak like that? I've given up ordering steak when I eat out as they are always too well done. I like the blood coming out.

whqqsh, Mar 18, 7:38am
Thank you, thank you, thank you!

sarahb5, Mar 18, 8:12am
You are most welcome - now at least the two of us are on the same page maybe you should show your local cafe this thread

laspaz, Mar 18, 8:15am
Yes, I bet they will be falling over themselves to change their menu for two people.

Why do you guys open a cafe and I will come and review it for the TMMB.

angelah1, Mar 18, 8:17am
I was thinking kiwi's have 3 types - crepes, pancakes and fat pancakes. Then sarahb5 put my thoughts into words, the fat pancakes are what you have with maple syrup. Pancakes have golden syrup.

sarahb5, Mar 18, 8:24am
Care to share what you call pancakes then since you apparently are the TMMB oracle?

sarahb5, Mar 18, 8:25am
We have waffles with maple syrup here .

laspaz, Mar 18, 8:28am
I call pancakes what everyone else does, except you and the OP. lol

Times are changing. You can get on board and embrace it, or cry about it on message boards.

aj.2., Mar 18, 8:32am
You are Dam right, there is a big difference.
Crepes are used for desserts , pan cakes, are served with sugar and lemon juice, or maple syrup , or even cream and jam.
Pikelets are a different size and mix again.

hannibalcat, Mar 18, 8:33am
I love going to a cafe and paying a very handsome price for Quality Baker's pancakes :(

laspaz, Mar 18, 8:36am
Pancakes are often frozen and just thrown in the microwave at cafes. (or hot cakes if you like).

I think we are seeing a difference of opinion here, based on age, and how it used to be done. I have never seen a cafe do old school pancakes. It may happen, but the smaller ones are the norm.

sarahb5, Mar 18, 8:37am
Well I don't actually know what everyone else calls pancakes so it was a genuine question

sarahb5, Mar 18, 8:38am

laspaz, Mar 18, 8:41am
Looks more like a crepe than a pancake to me.

Also British, so that may have something to do with it.

angelah1, Mar 18, 8:42am
a pancake - the middle of the 3 - crepes are thinner, fat pancakes are pikelet fat but pancake size

laspaz, Mar 18, 8:46am
My definition of a pancake would be what you see when you type "pancake" into Google and hit images.

I understand it's not how nana made them, but that is because we have found a better way. Taste far better to me when they soak in all that syrup and cream.

rebecca18, Mar 19, 4:19am
These look exactly like the pancakes my mother used to make us in the 1960s and 70s, we would roll them up with lemon juice and sugar http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v51/MarieAlice/The%20English%20Kitchen2/pancake.jpg
I have an image of my mother cooking pancakes in the kitchen while the rest of the family sat at the table and ate them.

cleggyboy, Mar 19, 5:22am
Yep with sugar & lemon juice OR sugar and cinnamon. Yummmm!

aj.2., Mar 19, 5:26am
Pan cakes there, Crepe are so much thinner, even to the point of almost having small holes in them, often used in flambé desserts.

sarahb5, Mar 19, 5:50am
I did that and got images that show American style pancakes and images that show the same image as on my link to the pancake recipe I posted above. My nan made delicious thin pancakes served with sugar and lemon - not sure quite what you mean by a better way to cook them unless you mean that pancakes now are Americanised rather than Colonial-style. I never put syrup or cream on my pancakes but you clearly are the authority on all things pancakey so I must have been doing it wrong for the last 50+ years .

coralsnake, Mar 19, 9:30am

sarahb5, Mar 19, 9:33am

coralsnake, Mar 19, 9:34am
The Mad Butcher grocery dept at the corner of Ferry & Aldwins Rds in Christchurch stocks imported american products including both buttermilk and regular pancake mix.

socram, Dec 13, 7:43am
I, like others was brought up on thin pancakes - which most would consider crepes.

Pikelets to us were what you would call crumpets.

Scotch Pancakes were smaller thicker version of an American pancake that Kiwis call pikelets.

English muffins use a pikelet/crumpet batter and US muffins are what most cafe's serve.

I know what I like, just call things what you want but it is up to the customer and seller to agree on what is being served!