Christmas Edibles to Make as Presents

Page 2 / 2
nauru, Nov 19, 5:33am
Christmas means chocolate, I make chocolate dipped mints, choc ginger, choc dipped apricots, choc marzipan, bounty bars & truffles. I also make coconut ice, marzipan stuffed dates, citrus slice, white christmas, shortbread, mince pies jam or marmalade and chutneys. The chocolates & sweets, I put into mini paper cases in two layers in noodle type boxes and decorate with ribbons & bows. The shortbread & mince pies, I put into cellophane bags and tie with a ribbon.

rarogal, Nov 19, 9:34am
I make those every year, they are so popular! I use red mini m&m's and slivers of mint leave jubes on mine.

nik12, Nov 19, 9:50am
I do truffles. all sorts and fudge. Or belguim and short bread as well.

nik12, Nov 19, 9:51am
Belguim biccky's that is lol. not the slice for sandwiches!

nunesy, Nov 21, 4:38am
For the shortbread button biscuits you can also cut out the button holes completely with a straw, or a cocktail straw if they are very small 'buttons'. It looks very cute and is especially nice for people who sew/quilt etc. Rchelley, I tried to make that choc caramel cracker recipe a while ago as I had some at a party and it was amazing - but mine leaked all through the crackers so it ended up being sticky caramel base with crackers and choc on top and was insanely hard to get out of the tin/peel the baking paper off :-( I used saladas, any ideas why yours works and mine didn't? Thanks!

bluetigerrr, Nov 23, 4:18am
Many thanks for all your ideas here :)))
I've decided to make strawberry syrup using this recipe: http://theshiksa.com/2013/05/30/strawberry-simple-syrup/ And savoury shortbread buttons using this recipe (scroll down to the very bottom of the page): http://grownupcookies.com/author/kelly-cooper/ The savoury shortbread has the most amazing taste.

madmum2, Nov 23, 7:34am
Nauru Can u please post the recipe for bounty bars.

tarawera99, Nov 24, 6:24pm
I'm thinking of making baklava this year, a couple of different fudged and I've got some hazelnuts I'll roast and bag up. I'm not buying many actual presents this year ago hopefully it'll be a good one!

draftie, Nov 24, 8:57pm
So doing this, thanks!

nickyd, Nov 25, 2:18am
Pistachio and cranberry biscotti - keeps well and looks pretty

nauru, Nov 25, 7:45am
madmum2 wrote:
Nauru Can u please post the recipe for bounty bars

Hi madmum2, here you go, you may have to hide them too, my first batch didn't make it to present stage. ENJOY.
Bounty Bars
1 cup coconut
2 tablsp icing sugar
2-3 tablsp condensed milk (as required)
200g chocolate (melted for coating)

Mix together icing sugar & coconut, , add 2 tablsp condensed milk to make a paste, if it's a little dry, add the other spoonful. Shape into bars or balls and chill for 15 minutes. Dip in melted chocolate and leave to set.

Note: To make a cherry ripe type of bar, you can add finely chopped glace cherries, a few drops of cherry essence or cherry liqueur to the coconut and make into bars or balls as above. The amount of cherries you use is to your own taste (I haven't measured) and use the smaller amount of condensed milk.

asue, Nov 25, 10:22am
Homemade Baileys - yum. Can buy nice water bottles to put it in now too.

nickyd, Nov 26, 12:42am
I made vanilla extract to give as small xmas presents a year or so ago too

edlin, Nov 26, 1:05am
What Christmas goodies keep well as I have time next week to do all sorts but it seems too early. Don't want to give stale gifts!

lcl2, Nov 26, 5:57am
Truffles and biscuits can be made now and popped in the freezer. Take out the night before and then package in the morning, all nice and fresh. I don't ice the biscuits until they have thawed out as they sometimes tend to go sticky

bubbles22222, Nov 26, 7:20am
a question re freezing truffles that are chocolate coated. Do you freeze and when thawed then chocolate coat, or can you freeze choc coated truffles?

neon2k, Nov 26, 7:39am
Not quite the same thing . but I made some cooked dough "cats" (made with Rock Salt) glazed them when dry, and filled the tummy area with Roses Chocolates. Then I named the cat (Sam) and wrote a little poem about him and attached it to the cat.

nauru, Nov 26, 8:28am
Best to chocolate dip after freezing. I usually dip them while they are still chilled, helps the chocolate set more quickly.

calista, Nov 26, 8:48am
neon - all the best cats are called Sam.

edlin, Nov 26, 8:34pm
Thanks Icl2,my freezer is getting crowded already but I can still fit in some truffles. Funny,I have made truffles for years and never thought about freezing them. Thanks for the tip

suzanna, Aug 15, 7:13pm
Some great ideas here. I am wondering if anyone has made rum babas? I have tried to buy them but even Ballantynes doesn't stock them anymore. My Mother loves them as a treat so I would appreciate any recipes to try for Christmas. Cheers.