Help.israel couscous

bev00, Oct 8, 8:13am
and again .

bev00, Oct 8, 8:41am
this is one of my favorites! I cant remember where I got it but I would like to thank them!
Nice to take to a BBQ if you need to 'bring a plate'
Israeli Couscous

1 ½ cup Israeli Couscous
2 Stalks Celery (Thinly Sliced)
2 Spring Onions (Thinly Sliced)
¼ cup Dried Cranberries (Finely chopped)
2 Tbsn Oil (neutral)
2 Fat cloves of Garlic (Crushed)
2 tsp finely grated Ginger
1 tsp Curry powder
1 tsp Coriander Seeds (coarsely crushed)
1 tsp Salt and Pepper
• Cook the Couscous as per the instructions on the packet.
• Add the Celery, Spring Onions and Cranberries.
• Sizzle the remainder ingredients for 1 minute then remove from heat.
• Add this to the Couscous and stir through.

aw217 (110 110 positive feedback) 6:51 pm, Sun 6 Oct #5
My favourite is morrocan couscous salad . otherwise known as 'naked zuchini salad' . http://www.azcentral.com/style/hfe/recipes/articles/0528cous cous0528rec.html?nclick_check=-1 The finer the capsicum etc are diced, the better. And yes, it IS better made the day before.

roadie (110 110 positive feedback) 7:03 pm, Sun 6 Oct #6
Whilst doing a bit of surfing I found this recipe that you might like to try. Obviously I haven't made it but it does look colourful and nice, and it could be a handy salad for the coming barbecue and festive seasons.

http://www.annabel-langbein.com/recipes/corn-and-israeli-cou

scous-salad/423/

245sam (42 42 positive feedback) 4:21 pm, Mon 7 Oct #7

twelve12, Oct 8, 9:37pm
This. So good.

korbo, Oct 14, 5:14am
Bought some israel coucous, boiled some water, added the couscous,
NOW do I wait until it is cold before adding the bits. eg, celery, nuts, rasins.
It looks quite sticky, never done it before, but have a friend here and wanted to try it.
Guess it is a healthy foood.

korbo, Oct 14, 5:16am
should I rinse it before adding other stuff.

freddiemouse, Oct 14, 5:20am
I just rinse mine in clean hot water and drain, then I add a small chunk of butter, pop the saucepan lid back on for a few mins to let it melt a bit, mix it through with a spoon and your done. Delicious and not gluggy even when It cools down.

davidt4, Oct 14, 5:34am
Not really, unless you consider pasta to be a healthy food. Cous cous is a form of pasta.

olwen, Oct 14, 6:09am
Is that Israeli couscous? I wouldn't have thought it would cook.

I do israeli couscous like a rissotto, brown it in butter, add a chicken stock cube and lemon juice and cook until it's absorbed, adding more water if it needs it.

korbo, Oct 14, 8:34am
thanks everyone, it was delicious.
I didnt rinse it, cooled it down, and added chopped celery, currants, chipped cashews, mint, parsley and garlic chives.
It needed a bit of a perk up, so friend put greek yogurt on hers, and i sprinkled a little honey mustard lite dressing. beautiful.
Enough for lunch or dinner tomorrow night.
Didnt have time to check the previous threads, but have now.

jynx66, Oct 14, 7:23pm
It's pasta, it doesn't need rinsing. Put a little extra virgin oil in a saucepan and stir couscous till it's golden (gives it a nutty flavour). Remove from the heat and add boiling water (careful - it will hiss and spit at you). You can add a stock cube to the water if you like. Cook gently till tender and all the liquid has absorbed then use either hot as a side-dish with a well flavoured gravy, or cold in any of thousands of salads.

bev00, Sep 13, 12:46am
I toast Israeli couscous in a dry non-stick pan, then add it to boiling stock - 1 part couscous to 1-1/4 part liquid. Reduce the heat to lowest and simmer for 5-10 minutes, then set aside off the heat for a wee while (enough to finish cooking veg or whatever else you're making). I seldom use plain water for cooking this or regular couscous in, I will always add seasoning such as s&p, turmeric, stock cubes (if not using actual stock), a tablespoon or so olive oil, and fresh herbs from the garden. Depending on the accompanying dish, I would also add more seasoning like cumin, mixed spice, cayenne, chopped onion and garlic, soy sauce, palm sugar .

Quotelennyb1 (518 ) 8:49 am, Fri 30 Nov #18