Couscous

suzieblue1, Apr 26, 8:06am
Sad question (meaning I should know! ! )... but can someone please tell me what couscous is? Also where do you purchase it from please? Im in Hastings incase someone can give me a name of a direct seller... ? Cheers :0)

margyr, Apr 26, 8:15am
from google; tiny semolina grains. I have had it heaps but did not really know what it was so have learnt something tonight;) Woolworths sells it, some in packets with flavours added, the nicest one i had though was just with loads of fresh mint and finely diced onion mixed through it.

hezwez, Apr 26, 8:25am
Mmmmm, lovely with the mint, finely diced opnion, little garlic, fresh lemon juice, black pepper and salt to taste, and with tomato wedges, popped into lettuce leaves with a vinaigrette dressing. It needs to be plumped up first, Icover the amount I want with boiling water (only just cover)and leave it for 10 minutes or so when all the water will have been absorbed.

krazy_kat, Apr 26, 8:38am
You can buy it in any supermarket now, in the rice/pasta section or most have it in bulk foods (for those who still have bulk foods! ).

elliehen, Apr 26, 8:39am
If you put 'couscous' in as the keyword in the search area at top left under Recipes and then 'Anytime' in date posted, you'll find a whole lot of threads devoted to couscous and what to do with it. Happy hunting :)

245sam, Apr 26, 8:52am
suzieblue1, from the research that I did prior to our recent Easter visit to Hastings, I know that Hastings has a Bin Inn, and Bin Inns stock couscous in their bins which can be a more economical way of buying it in the quantity that's just as much or as little as you want/need.
Couscous is a form of pasta that has both savoury and sweet uses (usually savoury tho') but please be aware that on its own it is very very bland - it is however receptive to basically any flavour that is added to it... . . and it needs to be very well-flavoured or if lightly flavoured, it needs to be served as an accompaniment to a very full-flavoured dish. It can be served hot, warm or cold - it also makes a very nice salad.
As elliehen has advised above try doing a search and you should find just how versatile and interesting couscous can be made. :-))

beaker59, Apr 26, 11:29am
I do 1 cup boiling water maybe half chicken stock half waterto one cup cous cous allow to sit for a while, fry off some chicken pieces and a few veges like onion, zucchini tomato basil corriander etc some garlic giger and chilli salt and whatever other herbs you like. add the two together and stir up for a very quick and tasty meal I can throw this together for me and the missus in about 10 to 15 min including all prep. Clean up is easy too as only two pots or less if you're smart.

toadfish, Apr 26, 6:32pm
Sophie Gray’s Chicken & Couscous
From the Sophie Gray book called Enjoy. Note from Sophie: If I am making this dish I skin the drumsticks by gripping the skin with a paper towel and pulling it of like a stocking. I then drizzle the pan with some olive oil. Its healthier than fat from the chicken.

Serves 4.

8 chicken drumsticks
½ onion,
3 cloves garlic crushed,
1 tsp dried thyme,
1 parsnip,
1 potato cut into chunks,
1 small Swede,
kumara, or chunk pumpkin cubed,
2 large carrots cut chunky,
2 cups stock or water and powder stock,
2 tsp olive oil optional,
1 cup frozen veg,
1 ½ cups couscous.

Pre heat oven to 180c Place drumsticks into a large roasting pan add onion, garlic, thyme and all veggies except the frozen mixed veg. Bake for 20 mins stirring at least once then pour in stock and oil (if using ) and continue cooking another 20 mins. Sprinkle in frozen veg and couscous, give the pan a bit of a mix so the couscous come in contact with the liquid which it will absorb scrape all the crispy bits of the sides if you are serving on a platter Cooks tips::: you can add more stock if it seems to dry before adding the couscous or try a splash of white wine, Different herbs such as rosemary or oregano can be used. This can be eaten hot or cold.

toadfish, Apr 26, 6:34pm
I have been buying the boil in bag couscous for my kids. They have been having it as an alternative to 2 min noodles for a snack. Its twice as dear this way so next purchase is going to be bulk as its so simple to make... just add boiling water and stand.

cookessentials, Apr 26, 6:42pm
morning toadfish, your'e up early. I really enjou couscous and it is nice and nutty.

toadfish, Apr 26, 6:44pm
I know, Tuesday & Thursdays I don't train - but my eyes still ping open at the same time... . .

flick1, Apr 26, 8:56pm
Coucous is available in heaps of places, there is no need for a direct seller, my Mum has been buying it from the supermarket for years.

jenner4, Apr 26, 9:08pm
I have been buying it in the supermarket for 30 years now, before that in the health food shops, when you live on a budget you cant do with out it , many years ago it was only the poor of the poorest people who used it and was known as "Poor mans food" , but so much you can do with it , I use 1/2 cup water 1/2 cup tomato juice, to cup CC, 1 cup finely cut mint same withparsley , 1/2 small chili [ no seeds] 1 finely cut garlic, small onion 2 to 3 tomatoes all cut up S&P yum yum yum

suzieblue1, Mar 9, 9:52pm
Just looked at replies tonight. Thank you for your help. My daughters boyfriend educated me lol just after I asked this actually. Who'd have thought? ? ! ! Lol. Anyways, thanks again and i'll head to bin inn when I get my brain back from one crap as day today.