Free range eggs from supermarket

Page 2 / 2
rainrain1, Mar 24, 5:05am
There is a difference in taste though, sorry to burst your bubble

annies3, Mar 24, 5:21am
We have found with our chooks which are free ranged during the day and locked inside at night, that the white is always nice in the young ones eggs, becoming more runny as the chooks get older, since ours lay for around three years compared to the commercial one year, it makes quite a difference but the eggs are still lovely.

samanya, Mar 24, 5:47am
I've seen the results of those tests too & as kay141 said, apparently nutritionally there's little difference.
I'm lucky to have my own chooks & I know what they eat, lots of grass, (they have their own little paddock) greens from my garden & scraps.
& it's a really 'feel good' thing, however if I didn't have the luxury of my own chooks/eggs, I'd always go for the organic eggs every time.
I've seen the poor bald(ish) hens 3 of them stuck in one of those tiny cages with scarcely room to sit down & bugger that, I'd never buy those eggs simply as a protest at the conditions the chooks are living in!
I feel the same about pigs/pork & have often wondered if the 'non caged farmed pork' really is just that.

xtownie, Mar 24, 8:10am
What is the best and closest to the real thing in the way of free range eggs bought from supermarket.
I've bought so many different ones, some at ridiculous prices etc and none are any better than the cheap budget eggs for a lot less $$$ I'm meaning nice orange yolks, easy to poach, tasty etc. surely there are some that are close to " fresh off the farm"? We currently don't have chooks and I'm not liking having to buy my eggs, have been a bit spoilt.

quiz3, Mar 24, 8:28am
I buy Barn laid eggs from the supermarket. Cost around $3.50 a dozen and they are Bennicks from Levin. A friend of mine worked for this company and when I was visiting her I could see all the chickens in the big sheds and they had plenty of room to walk around and of course a continuos supply of food and water.
I do buy free range when I'm passing a property that sells them and can't tell the difference. Hope this helps.

village.green, Mar 24, 8:43am
I get 30 small ones free range from local greengrocer and they have just gone up from $7 to $8 which is pretty good. I don't know what the difference is nutritionally or colour wise from standard eggs to free range as I only ever buy FR (well that's what they say on the box). My friend recently gave me some of her own eggs from her chooks and they looked paler and we couldn't tell the difference taste wise.

village.green, Mar 24, 8:46am
Bennicks supply the Palmy Reduced to Clear shop and theirs are $7 for a tray of 30 free range (small size) probably same supplier as the local greengrocer. I think they are a size 5. Rasmussens of Wanganui also supply another shop I visit and they are $5.80 for a dozen free range size 7 or $8.30 for 20 jumbo free range eggs which I think is pretty good. I don't buy from supermarket anymore too expensive.

carlosjackal, Mar 24, 10:09am
HENERGY Eggs

mjhdeal, Mar 24, 4:14pm
Home free-range does have a nutritional advantage over caged. However, if there is no nutritional difference between supermarket free-range and caged, I will still pay extra for the free-range, same reasons as samanya and buzzy10 have mentioned.

mjhdeal, Mar 24, 5:43pm
O wow, just looked up farm gate eggs http://www.thefarmgate.co.nz/index.html

Keep saying I'm going to the Parnell market, but never do. Definitely going there this Saturday to get eggs! Their meat sounds really good too. Thanks for the recommendation!

kay141, Mar 24, 6:36pm
Not according to the studies but perhaps you can quote some evidence to the contrary?

lythande1, Mar 24, 7:01pm
The colour of the yolks comes from what they eat - lots of green leafy plants, then darker yolks. It is not an indication of free range or not.
Had plenty of pale yolks from backyard chooks.

wasgonna, Mar 24, 7:17pm
The only free-range in the supermarket are the eggs that have been moved around on the shelves.

bedazzledjewels, Mar 24, 7:18pm
I like Purely eggs but I'm not in Farro regularly enough.

harrislucinda, Mar 24, 7:25pm
I have free range hens at home and get food scraps and roam on grass At times they go off lay so have to buy in eggs Well I buy the cheapest at the supermarket caged and found they have more yellow yolks thought caged hen don't eat greens

davidt4, Mar 24, 7:32pm
Haven't run across Purely yet Dazz. I'll have a look next time I'm in Farro. I usually buy Henergy, but our local New World doesn't always have them. Frenz organic eggs are good but expensive, and the sizes are erratic.

bedazzledjewels, Mar 24, 7:36pm
With Frenz I've had several bad ones. I've passed on the info to them as the boxes give the farm number but didn't get an acknowledgment from them so I switched.

kateley, Mar 24, 7:49pm
yolk colour does depend on what the hens are eating. Lots of chook farmers feed with colour added to give the illusion of a healthy life and diet

mjhdeal, Mar 24, 8:08pm
The 2011 study cited above compared commercial-style free-range to caged. The Mother Earth study compared pastured free-range, which is different. There do not seem to be any studies that compare supermarket free-range/caged/small-scale pastured free-range.

winnie231, Mar 25, 9:01am
Manila Hill free range eggs are the real deal!
You can drive past their farm in Marlborough & see the chooks running around outside. I don't know if you can buy them outside Nelson/Marlborough area.

winnie231, Mar 26, 7:54am
Just popped back into thread and saw what predictive Text has done!
Try Manuka Hill eggs.

belle34, Mar 28, 1:25pm
the additive in the feed, helps colour the yolk of the cage hens

jcsolgier, Dec 1, 1:16am
We buy henergy. Always beautiful.