Tasty Cheese - do you have a favourite brand?

Page 2 / 2
rozke, Jan 22, 10:00am
Cheese any type any brand partial to Camembert and Brie and Colby

sarahb5, Jan 22, 11:02am
Anchor or Mainland so I buy whichever of those is on special

wron, Jan 22, 11:12am
cuteviolet, do you mean remove from the plastic? Wouldn't the cheese either go mouldy or absorb other flavours from inside the fridge?

wron, Jan 22, 11:12am
Or dry out?

lythande1, Jan 22, 6:39pm
Barrys Bay tastes sour.
Mine:
Old Southern
Mainland Epicure

kay141, Jan 22, 7:04pm
Dairyworkx was the brand I was trying to recall. Their extra tasty was very good. I think a lot of Kapiti cheeses on the market are no longer as good as they once were. Being owned by Fonterra is probably the reason for that. There is, at times, a big difference in taste and quality between the prize winning cheeses and what is for sale in the supermarket.

twindizzy, Jan 22, 7:10pm
EPICURE

daisyhill, Jan 22, 7:28pm
Another Mainland Tasty lover here. I like their smoked cheddar too.

sarahb5, Jan 22, 7:55pm
That's what I was thinking too

dezzie, Jan 22, 8:17pm
If you have a good look at the budget blocks, and find one with salt escaping from the cheese inside the wrapper, then it will be good tasty, but it takes some finding, I usually get whatever's cheapest, but in saying that, if it's a choice between mainland and one of the other brands at the same price, the mainland wins.

paora-tm, Jan 22, 8:53pm
Is that what that white powdery looking stuff is? I used to avoid buying cheese which looked like that thinking there was something wrong with it. lol

cuteviolet, Jan 22, 9:02pm
No don't take it out of its packet. Just store as is. No nibbling before putting away! Lol.

paora-tm, Jan 22, 9:29pm
I may not wait a year but I just might leave the block I have for a month or two to see if there is any improvement and longer if there is. I have taken it out of the packet and wrapped it in baking paper and placed it in a plastic container in the fridge. Thanks for the tip. :)

valentino, Jan 23, 12:30am
I can remember as a kid back in the early 50's that an elderly gentleman staying with my Nanna would have this big block of hard Mild cheese on a plate and would slice a very thin slice and onto a cracker or on it's own. The slice looked very dry, very hard but loved every bit of it. My nanna told me that he keeps his cheese in the fridge for a long time before he starts eating it.

Never tried it so could not comment on taste but this brings back those memories, LOL.

punkinthefirst, Jan 23, 1:58am
Mainland for me.

paora-tm, Jan 23, 4:06am
Yep, Mainland for me too! There is just nothing similar to the Homebrand Tasty I bought 2 days ago and the Mainland Tasty I bought today - like chalk and. no wait . like rubber and cheese. Thanks to all you Mainland lovers who led me in the right direction. Yum yum.

cuteviolet, Jan 23, 7:10am
Oh I do hope you wont be disappointed, because we have only ever done it with the wrapping still on. Good luck though :)

carter19, Jan 24, 7:02pm
I have found that tasty cheese is just not tasty any more. I buy Mainland Vintage which is passable as a tasty cheese but in general cheese has the texture of rubber and flavour of sunlight soap

deanna14, Jan 25, 5:31am
I buy Mainland Tasty 18 month old, when its on special. I have about 6-10 blocks in the fridge that I rotate, so its weeks and weeks old before I use it.

cuteviolet, Jan 25, 8:27am
Good stuff! There is a big difference in taste the longer you leave it, isn't there?

deanna14, Jan 25, 8:29am
Hell yes. Like cheeses of yesteryear.

kassie48, Jan 25, 9:23am
Mainland, don't look at the price. The best.

coolnzmum, Jan 25, 9:30am
Mainland tasty is the only one we buy. Also always check to make sure it has a crumbly texture and the white stuff (think it a type of mould lol) on it.

coolnzmum, Apr 22, 1:19am
We were always able to find Mainland at woolworths in Australia.