Need new ideas for slices, tarts for cafe

Page 2 / 2
ahaaaaa, Feb 4, 11:00pm
jelly slice
easy to make and a favourite from a local cafe. Made a double recipe yesterday and its half gone! I used to have to cook gluten free for a family member and think it could easily be adapted to gluten free with just the base being a concern. So either crush gluten free biscuits or make a base with gf flours.

bev00, Apr 7, 11:24am

greerg, Apr 8, 6:49am
Recently had lemon curd Louise cake at the Addington Coffee Coop and have started making it myself. I've never really liked Louise cake but it is lovely with a thickish layer of lemon curd.

hotstuff111, Apr 8, 10:45am
we have a work place shout on a friday and the girls always get a apricot tart with cream on it and a custard tart with strawberrys on the top with a glase over the top and we pay $6.50 each for them

jude343, Apr 10, 1:29am
I am a diabetic. I find it is always so difficult going out for coffee.
I often find that there are heaps of delicious foods, non-that I can eat.
OH! for a good SIMPLE sandwich, or a choose your own filling made fresh.
or
on offer crackers / cruskets with cheese, tomato & pickle, a plate with these to assemble your own.(so biscuits dont go soggy) Yes! i would happilu pay $5/6 depending on size variety etc

A soup selection, in the sealed portions, that you can choose your variety, and its warmed and perhaps served with toast if required.
I often find I only buy coffee, as there is little food on offer that i can eat.

sgjvh, Apr 10, 6:58am
Good idea I am also a diabetic and would love to have cheese, crackers and pickles on offer in cafes,would buy them every time,but it's just coffee when I go out at the moment.

colin433, Apr 10, 8:08am
If I saw the old fashioned napoleons in a café, I'd be in like Flynn!

When I catered at our local golf club the ladies loved this one of my inventions.
Cut circles of puff pastry (saucer size as they shrink with the cooking)
cook to a gentle brown, then split. Fill with crème patissiere which can be bought from a cateraing warehouse and quick and easy to whip up, Pipe a circle of whipped cream around the edge, pop the top back on and shake a little icing sugar over the top. They are cheap as chips to make, sell like the proverbial.

The old fashioned individual cheesecake with pastry, jam in the bottom, and a sponge with ground almonds on top doesn't look flash, but tastes extra special. I actually used rice flour instead of the dearer ground almonds and got almost the same result
Mrs C

deus701, Jan 16, 4:16am
Currently have the usual caramel slice, custard, louise, brownie, crumble, ginger crunch etc.

Right now Im looking for ideas for a new slice. and hopefully something that will sell well and the customers can accept. Does anyone have special memories of an amazing slice they had somewhere, or during their overseas vacation that they would like to try again?

samsnan, Jan 16, 4:22am
I had a caramel slice the other day that had chopped or sliced carefully Macadamia nuts sprinkled over the caramel, no chocolate at all. It was delicious.

carlosjackal, Jan 16, 4:40am
APRICOT AND ALMOND SLICE

MELT TOGETHER:
125g butter
3/4 cup brown sugar

MIX IN:
1/2 packet malt biscuits (crushed)
1/2 packet vanilla wine biscuits (crushed)

Press into a lined slice tin

PLACE ON BASE (in order):
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped apricots
1/2 cup coconut thread
1/2 cup sliced almonds (lightly toasted)

Drizzle over 1 tin condensed milk
Bake for 30 minutes at 150'C

edited to say that this is a recipe I had requested from a well known café a few years ago - it is light, chewy, tasty and ever so moorish!

punkinthefirst, Jan 16, 7:17am
Old fashioned sharp, lemony Sticky Lemon slice, or its variations Sticky Citrus or Passionfruit slice. And Alison Holst has a lovely recipe for a Cherry and Almond slice which is delicious.
Anything with a generous, home made flavour (in other words, not made from a mix) should go down a treat!

antzmaria1, Jan 16, 7:23am
Always love good old lolly cake or fudge made with licorice allsorts ,black jelly beans is really yummy.Apple struddle or dutch apple cake is also nice.Or another that always seems popular when we go out is custard square and rocky mellow slice.

antzmaria1, Jan 16, 7:26am
Tarts filled with homemade lemon curd or passionfruit,or ones with lovely thick caramel and banana and bit of cream ans grated choc would be something that would also jump out at me.
Now I feel like baking lol

renoshorty, Jan 16, 8:37am
Orange & Almond Cake made with almond meal - served with plain unsweetened yogurt is lovely.

dezzie, Jan 16, 8:54am
I'm a fan of sticky lemon slice. and dutch apple cake.

sophie98, Jan 16, 9:01am
There is one with caramel and marshmallow on the Chelsea site
that's lovely.

motordewd, Jan 16, 9:04am
I'd kill for Lemon pistachio slice. Simple but so fresh. Anything citrusy or apple or ginger pear - and not so sweet. I get sick of the usual choc and caramel slices on offer. My Apple slice always goes down well.
125g soft butter
1 cup raw sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup milk
11/4 cups flour
1 1/2 tsps. baking powder
2-3 apples - granny smith - peel and use an apple slicer/corer and slice through the segments again - to poke in the top of the cake.
Topping optional 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1 tsp cinnamon or dust with icing sugar. Cream butter and sugar and follow usual cake procedure or bung it all in a food processor. Spread cake mix into a 20x 30 sponge roll or brownie tin. Press in apples and sprinkle topping if desired. Bake 180 Celsius. for 25- 30 mins.

turtlet, Jan 16, 10:15am
Belgium/Belgian slice - yum.

sarahb5, Jan 16, 10:16am

sarahb5, Jan 16, 10:18am
Takaka ginger crunch takes some beating too

http://www.foodlovers.co.nz/recipes/takaka-oaty-ginger-crunch.html

dibble35, Jan 16, 7:18pm
Now that sounds yummy and I have all the ingredients so will be making it today, thanks

tumbys02, Jan 17, 5:48am
Family Circle christmas issue has a section on slices and I am keen to try some, they look real yummy and would be great for a cafe.

carlos57, Oct 17, 5:57pm
This sounds really nice, but I couldn't find it on their site. Do you know what it's called? Thanks :)