Muffins - use strong flour or plain

rai5, Jun 8, 10:42pm
When making muffins which is the best flour to use. To be more specific I plan to make banana muffins. I do not currently have self raising flour.

245sam, Jun 8, 10:59pm
rai5, I would use plain flour + cream of tartar and baking soda or alternatively simply use plain flour + baking powder (1-2 tsp per cup of flour). :-))

rai5, Jun 9, 1:08am
How much cream of tartar and how much baking soda to 1 & 1/2 cups of flour?

245sam, Jun 9, 1:31am
rai5, for every 1 tsp baking powder I use 1 tsp cream of tartar and ½ tsp baking soda, so when using 1½ cups flour and if you wish to use the equivalent of 1 tsp baking powder, you would need 1½ tsp cream of tartar + ¾ tsp baking soda. If you wish to use the equivalent of 2 tsp baking powder, you would need to use 2 tsp cream of tartar + 1 tsp baking soda.

Hope that helps. :-))

awoftam, Jun 9, 4:42am
What is the difference between strong and plain flour? I only ever use high grade, no idea of the differences.

rai5, Jun 9, 5:28am
I use strong flour (high grade) for making bread, or similar products like pizza bases and pasta. Plain is usually used for scones, cakes, biscuits and sponges. But I am sure the experts here will be able to explain the difference.

awoftam, Jun 9, 5:32am
Google is my friend. its the gluten content, depending on what the flour was milled from. So, I should be using plain flour for my scones and muffins etc instead of high grade. I wonder if I will notice the difference? Will find out!

marcs, Jun 10, 2:03pm
High grade or strong flour is for making bread type things because it is much higher in protein which when you knead will produce gluten (I think but I may be wrong) to make nice soft bread. Strong flour is also used in making some fruit cakes. When making cakes, muffins, scones, cookies etc use plain flour or self raising flour or even cake flour if you get them. This has lower protein which turns out softer cakes and muffins.

mooshiesmum, Jun 10, 9:00pm
I bake all the time and only ever use basic plain flour - things seem to turn out just fine!

kaddiew, Jun 6, 5:12pm
I use plain flour (except for bread) - but if I run out I use high grade/strong, and never notice ANY difference in whatever I'm baking.