Utterly perfect poached eggs!

Page 1 / 2
mazzy1, Dec 3, 12:46am
I just tried out some silicone egg poachers - wow! How could something so simple be so fantastic? $4.99 at the Warehouse for a pair. I boiled the water in the pot, sprayed the poachers with cooking spray, cracked an egg in each, lowered them into the now simmering water for exactly 5 minutes with the lid on - and perfecto! And in the cutest neat shape! Lunch was two poached eggs served on top of home-made coleslaw and chopped avocado - yum! :-)

harrislucinda, Dec 3, 12:52am
I had 2 lightly boiled eggs on toast But have a poached egg thingie that does 4 eggs yes are very good

mazzy1, Dec 3, 1:49am
Yuck - me too. And these save a fiddly clean up as well - I just turned them inside out and scrubbed them with hot soapy water. It's my favourite find this week. And it was worth it when the checkout lady asked me what they were and I said they give me a nice natural silhouette under my teeshirts. The look on her face! I cackled all the way home :-)

kiwitrish, Dec 3, 2:17am
Thanks mazzy. I was looking at them and wondered if the worked. Will definately buy them now.

mazzy1, Dec 3, 2:39am
It's a great investment! They are oven, freezer and microwave proof too. I was drawn to the bright green ones :-)

malcovy, Dec 3, 2:45am
Brilliant.

retired, Dec 3, 6:28am
I bought two blue ones when they were on special at the Warehouse. Can vouch for everything said about them. They come in pairs.

mazzy1, Dec 3, 9:20am
heh heh - sometimes it's just the little things eh?

aktow, Dec 3, 9:36am
what a load of messing around. i get a used 2 litre icecream container. put some water in it. break 8 eggs and add it in to the water,, place lid of container and cook for 4 minutes. comes out just as good as poaching in a pan,,

nzhel, Dec 3, 10:50am
I've used my metal ones for years - love them! Sometimes instead of poaching the egg for my lunch now I use our flat tray toasted sandwich maker. I just put a piece of bread in the maker, depress it in the middle a bit and crack on the egg. I lower the lid not quite all the way down so the yolk doesn't get squashed and break. A few minutes later its cooked - egg on toast with no added butter or fat.

nauru, Dec 3, 5:06pm
The silicone cups are a great item, used often, I bought mine at the $2 shop.

mazzy1, Dec 3, 11:59pm
Even better! Can't beat the $2 shop sometimes, can you.

coolnzmum, Dec 4, 12:19am
Will vouch for them too, we have six of them, so easy to use and as OP says perfect shaped poached eggs every time.

jynx66, Dec 4, 6:51am
Here's the best idea: buy some Aunt Betty's individual steamed puddings and eat them then use the cute little containers they come in to poach your eggs. I do mine in the microwave: just prick the yoke with a toothpick, cover with a paper towel and cook for 1 minute at a time on half power till they're done to your liking.

mazzy1, Dec 4, 10:15am
Good job ellie - fantastic present for Xmas!

retired, Dec 4, 7:34pm
For anyone with limited means to buy presents what about a set of these egg poachers with half a dozen eggs. Could add a packet of muffins etc. This would be a great present for the person with everything!

korbo, Dec 4, 7:40pm
I have never put a lid on when poaching eggs. hopefully that is the secret.
bought those silicone ring ones, but find the white runs out.
defintley on my shop list today.
THANKS SO MUCH

mazzy1, Dec 5, 6:25am
Brilliant idea! I can buy a half dozen free range eggs for $3.00 and the poachers for $4.00 - can't think of anything better than that for Christmas if you are on a tight budget.

mazzy1, Dec 5, 6:27am
It's a pleasure Korbo - even trained my darling husband to use them and he fixed a lunch today of such epic proportions, he was moved to take a photo and send it to me at work :-)

xtownie, Dec 5, 9:32am
Don't waste your $$$ on Poachers, I bought sme a week ago and they were useless! I now only buy free range, so much nicer for everything.

korbo, Dec 6, 3:26am
did you follow what mazzy did. what did they do wrong.?

roshu, Dec 6, 3:34am
I just may go back to poaching eggs, thanks for that!

timturtle, Dec 6, 3:35am
think they mean the eggs called poachers?

pugswal, Dec 6, 3:48am
How much water do you put in the pot? Not enough to overflow into the silicon poachers? but just so the cups rest in the water? Thanks

nauru, Dec 6, 9:30am
I have the rings too and had the same problem. They do work for crumpets though.