Bread for a diabetic

issymae, Nov 25, 8:45am
Just been told I have T2; need a good recipe for a grainy bread for breadmaker, not too heavy or stodgy;

nauru, Nov 25, 8:56am
I make a wholemeal/rye bread, adding pumpkin, sunflower and flaxseeds to it. It is not heavy or stodgy. I have been making this since changing to a low GI diet last year. I can post the recipe if you want.

sarahb5, Nov 25, 9:16am
Have bumped a thread for you which has a few options for you

lythande1, Nov 25, 5:55pm
It's not a matter of changing the recipe. it's about limiting the carbohydrates in general and totally eliminating sugar.

joybells2, Nov 25, 6:47pm
A good grainy bread is good, I eat Vogels now. Bread has very little sugar in it but for diabetics a nice wholemail grainy bread is best. You should get the advice of a doctor or dietician anyway, we are just helpers lol and everyone has their own personal views.

jude343, Nov 25, 7:01pm
I have similar prob. I am t2 on insulin. I personally find it best to cut down to no more than 2 slices a day. Vogels sunflower or rye. Often it's not the bread it's the lovely toppings we put on top. My dad googled a diabetic recipe for bread. He appears very happy with it, sorry I don't have it as I do not have a bread maker. Can you try google.?

uli, Nov 26, 3:48am
bump for the diabetics

buzzy110, Nov 26, 4:49am
Two slices of bread have as much sugar in them as one Mars Bar. Starch is a complex carbohydrate, or a polysaccharide which is a flash way of saying it is sugar. Digestive juices starch to break the polysaccharide bonds from the moment the first bite is taken and continues to break down the saccharides/starch into simple sugars that are absorbed into the bloodstream as they progress through the digestive canal.

I don't often agree with lythande1 but imo, in this instance, she is absolutely, 100% correct.

bedazzledjewels, Nov 26, 5:00am
Agree too. Ditch the bread.

grannypam, Nov 26, 5:03am
I was told to stick to the grainy bread types when I first got diagnosed type 2. it was so wrong for me.

lythande1, Nov 26, 6:24pm
All you need to do is eliminate sugar and cut down on flour based products.

Adding grains and all that doesn't help with keeping the sugar levels down.

Husband has been diabetic for 46 years.

aktow, Nov 29, 12:33pm
all breads have a lot of sugar, they might not add sugar but the products they use like seeds and grains contain a lot of sugar.

Vogel's has more sugar than the white bread. any bread with fruit has the highest sugar. i hear all you people say to eat wholemeal breads but they have more saturated fats and some bread makers add sugar because wholemeal flour can taste bitter.

, years ago i spent 6 months learning how to make different breads,, i cannot remember how much sugar we used but we did add some to certain breads,

uli, May 25, 7:01pm
It is not the added sugar that is the problem but the flour and grains - they are pure starch which is converted into sugar the moment you chew it.
Try it once to chew a piece of bread with nothing on it for a bit - it will go sweet in your mouth already.