Sweet mild butter chicken?

imafreespirit, Jul 28, 8:54am
I've tried a number of butter chicken dishes and especially love the korma and butter chicken made by Spice Traders and a couple of restaurants like Taste Of India etc. How do I get that mild sweet flavour? Most of the jar and tin stuff at the supermarkets are usually too spicy and don't have that same rich taste I get from Indians? I wanna know!
Thanks

hezwez, Jul 28, 10:56pm
There is a Tauranga trader on here who sells Butter Chicken Spice Mix - Buy 5 get 1 FREE and included with the spice packets is a recipe card. It's absolutely delicious and fresh. I use it in chick pea curries too.

dbab, Jul 29, 8:48am
Pataks jars of butter chicken sauce from the supermarket is nice.

245sam, Jul 29, 8:56am
imafreespirit, have a look at:- Listing #: 922686877
I think that is the trader that hezwez is referring to. I personally have not tried her spice mixes but I recall reading, some time ago, some very enthusiastic and positive reports from posters who have tried and been very happy with that trader's spice mix. . :-))

laylahamo, Jul 29, 11:19am
Food Court Butter Chicken:
500 g diced chicken
50 g Butter
2 garlic cloves - crushed or finely chopped
1 Onion, finely chopped
3/4 c Cream
4 tbsps tomato paste
2 tsps sugar
1 1/2 tsps nutmeg
1 1/2 tsps turmeric
1 1/2 tsps ground cumin
1 tsp garam masala
1 1/2 tsps cornflour, mixed with cream

In a large fry pan sauté the onion and garlic in the butter until soft. Toss the spices (except the garam masala) through the chicken (you can marinade the chicken for a couple of hours beforehand for a stronger flavour) then add to the fry pan on medium-high until chicken is just cooked, then add the tomato paste and garam masala. Stir in the cream and turn down the heat to simmer until cooked.

Bon apetit!

imafreespirit, Jul 29, 8:47pm
Interesting. I'll look into those spice mixes and try this food court recipe although its missing some ingredients like cardomon and fenugreek. Cheers

laylahamo, Jul 30, 1:16am
Hi imafreespirit, yes cardamom is normally inherent in garam masala as it's one of the staple ingredients including turmeric, cumin and nutmeg although there are heaps of variations including fenugreek, cinnamon, mace etc as well. I prefer to just buy the ground ingredients from an asian foodstore and make up my own garam masala as everyone likes it according to their tastes. This recipe is more on the sweeter side than what you would find in the restaurants but I prefer mine with more of the tomato base and spices.
There is one sweet butter chicken recipe I'd love to get but no-one except an Indian restaurant in Petone, Wellington seem to make it: Lemon & Honey Butter Chicken. OMG, I drool just thinking about this dish.

clareo, Jul 30, 3:47am
imafreespirit wrote:
I've tried a number of butter chicken dishes and especially love the korma and butter chicken made by Spice Traders and a couple of restaurants like Taste Of India etc. How do I get that mild sweet flavour? Most of the jar and tin stuff at the supermarkets are usually too spicy and don't have that same rich taste I get from Indians? I wanna know!

I would be keen to know as well - have tried lots of recipes - last week I put honey in - sweet but not quite the same - so would love to get hold of this sweet recipe too.

karenz, Jul 30, 6:09am
I find putting a tin of Kara brand coconut cream and chopped fresh tomatoes into the butter chicken sometimes even sprinkling a little fresh coriander over the top makes a nice change.

imafreespirit, Jul 30, 6:32am
Im determined to make it so I've been out n about and bought a whole heap of spices from a local Indian spice store as well as creams and various other ingredients. I'm gonna be making test mixtures for the sauce only before I add chicken. I'll post back when I've reached satisfaction.

hezwez, Jul 30, 6:37am
Yes, that's the one. It includes cardamon in the listed ingredients, and has no gluten, nuts, anti caking agent, added flavourings, msg, fillers, preservatives or fillers. Just a lovely combo of fresh spices that produces a quality meal, tastes like a good quality restaurant meal.

clareo, Jul 30, 9:17pm
I'll be waiting!

propagator, Jul 31, 1:55am
My Butter Chicken

* 1 tbsp Butter
* 1 Onion chopped
Sweat off onion with 1 tsp garlic and 1 tsp ginger
Add
* Tin chopped Tomatoes
* 1 pkt Tomato cup of soup
* 1 tsp Garam Masala
* 1 tsp Cumin
* 1 tsp Tandoori seasoning
* 2 tbsp Brown Sugar

Simmer for a few minutes and just before serving add
* 1 pottle natural Yogurt

bev00, Sep 4, 12:26pm
This is a Simon Holst one; always been popular when I make it.
For 3 servings:
2 tablespoons oil
1 medium onion, finely diced
2 cloves garlic, crushed, peeled and chopped
2 teaspoons curry powder (mild or hot according to taste)
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
300g boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs, cubed
425g can whole or diced tomatoes in juice
1/4 cup cream or Light & Creamy evaporated milk
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1–2 teaspoon garam masala
1/2 cup plain unsweetened yoghurt
1/2 teaspoon salt
1–2 Tbsp chopped coriander
Enjoy

nanasee1 (104 104 positive feedback

rainrain1, Nov 11, 9:14am
Sorry not trying to be picky, but
There is a teaspoon of ground ginger missing from #14 recipe.
I have this made ready for dinner tonight, It's very delicious, thanks for the recipe

Instructions for recipe #14
Heat the oil in a large pot, then add the onion and garlic. Cook, stirring frequently for about 5 minutes, until the onion is soft and clear but not browned. Add the curry powder, cumin, coriander and ginger and cook, stirring constantly, for about 1 minute further. Add the chicken to the pan and cook, stirring occasionally, until it has lost its pinkness, then stir in the canned tomatoes including their juice, tomato paste and the evaporated milk. Bring the mixture to the boil, then reduce the heat to a gentle simmer and cook for 8-10 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through (test by cutting a larger piece in half to check it is not pink in the middle).

Stir in the remaining ingredients, add salt to taste, and reheat without boiling. Serve over steamed rice, accompanied with poppadums and/or naan bread (naan is now available frozen in many supermarkets).