Relish makers?

mercury14, Mar 22, 9:41pm
Do you always leave your tomatoes in the brine for the full 24 hrs.

pickles7, Mar 22, 10:02pm
no, I don't brine tomatoes at all. I simmer the juices down to intensify the flavors. What recipe are you following.?.

deanna14, Mar 22, 10:05pm
No brining in my relish recipes either.

mercury14, Mar 22, 10:19pm
Cool thanks, I always follow a receipe that I was given years ago, we love it and so do others we have given it to.
No more brining for me then.
This is it. although I don't follow the amounts given.
12 large tomatoes
4 large onions
handful of salt leave 24 hrs
Drain then add
Vinegar 1 pint or enough to cover
5 chillies
1lb brown sugar
Simmer 1 1/2 hrs
then add

1tablespoon mustard,1 tablespoon curry powder and flour mixed with extra vinegar to thicken, cook for about 5 mins or so taste and adjust to suit.

pickles7, Mar 22, 10:40pm
I would not brine those ingredients at all, myself. Good luck with it, adjust the method on your recipe if you are happy with the change.

mercury14, Mar 22, 10:52pm
Come to think of it, I once read that brining was to kill the bugs in cabbage, collie etc. In the past before all the pesticides that are used by some people these days. Guess it's just a hangover from them and habit now.
Not any more.

lythande1, Mar 23, 1:03am
Really? Never had them in brine at all, never mind 24 hrs.
Just chop them up and in the pot with everything else.

susieq9, Mar 23, 8:22am
Practically the same recipe I use. I also leave the cut up tomatoes and chopped onions with 1tblsp salt sprinkled over and left over night. then drain the juice. Then add rest of ingrediants. Never fail and been using this method for 18 years.

books4nz, Mar 23, 10:15am
Looks similar to the Edmonds book relish.

fifie, Mar 24, 10:54pm
If youve been making a recipe for all that time and its a success and your family like it why change now. Personally i have never brined tomatoes and each year make heaps of relish, pasta sauce etc. Each to their on.

buzzy110, Mar 25, 12:27am
I made some with brining and some without. Without a doubt I'd go for the brined tomatoes every time. I thought the non-brined relish was more watery and less flavoursome. That is just my opinion. I drained most of the liquid from the brined tomatoes or the relish would have been too salty. I also like the time gap. I could prepare it and get out all the jars and lids ready for the next day, and when I was refreshed after to night's sleep, do the cooking, sterilising of jars and lids and bottling up. It didn't seem like such a big process then.

p.s. I like to make several dozen at a time.

nruter, Mar 25, 7:35am
Made a green tomato relish recently and recipe instructions were to brine for 8 hours or overnight Mine got left for nearly 24, but knew that wouldn't hurt. Turned out quite delicious, was very pleased. A recipe from the NZ Herald Bite magazine.
However, if making relish with ripe tomatoes, seem to remember I peeled them, so doubt would have brined there.

harriss, Apr 8, 7:31am
The brining removes water, which makes the relish keep better and concentrates the flavour. You can do the same with much longer cooking but its simpler and better to use the brining, it works by osmosis.

northcat, Apr 8, 7:59am
I brine mine as I remove the liquid not for 24 hours just overnight

joybells2, Apr 9, 2:50am
I just soak for two mins in hot water and remove the skins then cook, then add mustard etc before finishing off.

zappi, Apr 9, 2:57am
always used to brining method.

anne1955, Apr 9, 5:28am
I use to leave them over night with salt But last week did another recipe from an old Church Recipe Book and it worked well. It's for me time dependant. If I am doing 100 other things which I normally am all at once leave them but if ok time wise it's a sort of either I also have a marmalade recipe that doesn't require leaving . personal choice I guess :)

boop2, Apr 10, 7:42am
yes I think it is been making it for 40 years wouldn't change it,

rainrain1, Apr 10, 8:13pm
No brining or skinning

arielbooks, Oct 16, 5:17pm
I use both methods though the brining is less watery with better flavour, also the ingredients keep their shape which is good for platters the unbrined relish is better for sandwiches.