Bottling relish etc

missus_j, May 11, 6:17am
Hi everyone.So I am a real novice in the kitchen but attempted to make a tamarillo chutney today.I heated my jars in the oven etc (just used old jam jars etc).Now I don't know what to do to keep them.Do they need to go in the fridge or only once opened?One of the lids has the middle of the lid popped up like they do when the seal is broken.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

rainrain1, May 11, 6:34am
I don't keep mine in the fridge, because they get eaten quickly.But keep them in the fridge by all means if you feel happier doing that.You can put all into a plastic container with a good lid, and scoop out however much you want to use for the table.Jams and pickles do not freeze hard, so therefore you can scoop out with a spoon and leave in the freezer till finished

wron, May 11, 10:10am
What recipe did you use missus? I'll be making some when the price comes down - early in the season I guess, but nearly $16 / kilo last week!

lythande1, May 11, 7:52pm
That one hasn't sealed properly - use it first.
The rest can stay in the pantry until opened, then they go in the fridge.

pickles7, May 11, 8:18pm
gee are they ready?????I have never liked chutney, but love them cooked, for breakfast.
So long as you had enough vinegar in the recipe the jars will be fine, left in a cool dark place. Just keep the open jar in the fridge

missus_j, May 12, 6:17am
Hi everyone.So I am a real novice in the kitchen but attempted to make a tamarillo chutney today.I heated my jars in the oven etc (just used old jam jars etc).Now I don't know what to do to keep them.Do they need to go in the fridge or only once opened!One of the lids has the middle of the lid popped up like they do when the seal is broken.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

rainrain1, May 12, 6:34am
I don't keep mine in the fridge, because they get eaten quickly.But keep them in the fridge by all means if you feel happier doing that.You can put all into a plastic container with a good lid, and scoop out however much you want to use for the table.Jams and pickles do not freeze hard, so therefore you can scoop out with a spoon and leave in the freezer till finished

wron, May 12, 10:10am
What recipe did you use missus! I'll be making some when the price comes down - early in the season I guess, but nearly $16 / kilo last week!

lythande1, May 12, 7:52pm
That one hasn't sealed properly - use it first.
The rest can stay in the pantry until opened, then they go in the fridge.

pickles7, May 12, 8:18pm
gee are they ready!I have never liked chutney, but love them cooked, for breakfast.
So long as you had enough vinegar in the recipe the jars will be fine, left in a cool dark place. Just keep the open jar in the fridge