Anybody have a nice chilli con carne recipe plse.

Page 1 / 2
carol113, Jul 20, 9:34pm
Thanks Carol

daarhn, Jul 21, 12:02am
The hotter, the richer, the thicker, loads beanz with slashing of avacado and sour creme. YUMMO!

jgc.trading, Jul 22, 2:37pm
http://www.bigoven.com.

Have you guys ever been on a website called google?

huggy5, Jul 22, 8:54pm
Well, this is a Recipe section so I think it's valid to ask for recipes! I like to get them from people rather than just searching the net.
My chilli con carne recipe is a total cheat, I just use chilli beans from a tin. Mince, chilli beans, onion, garlic, some fresh tomatoes and fresh chilli.
It is really handy to have in the freezer, I use it for burritos/tacos/nachos, on top of a baked potato, in toasted sandwiches, on salad or rice etc.

carol113, Jul 22, 9:36pm
MMM Really. Hello this is a recipe section.I agree with the poster above.

spongeypud, Jul 22, 9:42pm
I tried the Hairy Bikers recipe, I wouldn't mind but I don't like kidney beans lol but this was really nice.

500g lean minced beef (10% or less fat)
2 medium onions, chopped
3 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
1–2 tsp hot chilli powder
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp ground coriander
2 tbsp plain flour
150ml red wine or extra stock
300ml beef stock, made with 1 beef stock cube
400g can of chopped tomatoes
400g can of red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
3 tbsp tomato purée
1 tsp caster sugar
1 tsp dried oregano
1 bay leaf
flaked sea salt
freshly ground black pepper

1.Place a large non-stick saucepan over a medium heat and add the beef and onions. Cook together for 5 minutes, stirring the beef and squishing it against the sides of the pan to break up the lumps. Add the garlic, 1–2 teaspoons of chilli powder, depending on how hot you like your chilli, and the cumin and coriander. Fry together for 1–2 minutes more. Sprinkle over the flour and stir well.
2.Slowly add the wine and then the stock, stirring constantly. Tip the tomatoes and kidney beans into the pan and stir in the tomato purée, caster sugar, oregano and bay leaf. Season with a pinch of salt and plenty of freshly ground black pepper.
3.Bring to a simmer on the hob, then cover loosely with a lid. Reduce the heat and leave to simmer gently for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally until the mince is tender and the sauce is thick. Adjust the seasoning to taste and serve.

SERVES 5

pickles7, Jul 22, 10:14pm
So many just cut and paste without so much as reading the recipe, the printing mistakes are plain to see, on the original site and in their posts in here. Shame on the posters.
It pays to do your own research on Google, you can then pass on the recipes that have printing errors.

pickles7, Jul 22, 10:50pm
Youtube is great too

davidt4, Jul 22, 11:36pm
This is a version I make when the right chillis are available. If you can't get green Anaheims you can substitute green capsicums.

Old Clothes Chili con Carne (Ropa Vieja)

4 – 6

900g skirt steak
1/4c olive oil or lard
4 dried toasted Anaheim chilis
4 c fresh beef stock
2 tab dried oregano
1 tab cumin
1 tsp cocoa
4 fresh green Anaheim chillis
2 green Poblano chillis
1 jalapeno chilli
3 cayenne/serrano chillis
4 onions
4 cloves garlic
1 bay leaf
salt & pepper

Brown beef in oil. Purée dried Anaheims, 2c stock, oregano & cumin.
Remove beef from pan and add chopped vegetables, stir. Replace meat on top, bay leaf, seasoning, purée and 2c stock.

Simmer 2 ½- 3 hours until the meat is very tender and falling apart, reduce liquid if necessary. Pull meat into coarse shreds.

pickles7, Jul 23, 12:19am
That looks nice and 'hot', do you add beans to the dish. davidt4

davidt4, Jul 23, 12:40am
I don't add beans (beans are not always used in Chile con Carne) but you could substitute half of the beef with beans if you want to.

cookessentials, Jul 23, 2:04am
Shame on the posters who constantly berate others.

pickles7, Jul 23, 3:34am
Ok, I wondered if you ate them. The recipe sits well with me, we like 'hot' here, not really into beans ourselves. I just may give your recipe a try, thanks. I will cut and paste it into my ' to try folder'

cookessentials, Jul 23, 3:55am
Cuban Ropa Vieja does not actually have chilli in it. It uses green bell pepper only. Served with white rice or Cuban black beans. Chilli con carne is a completely different beast.

davidt4, Jul 23, 4:36am
#11 is not a Cuban recipe. It is Mexican.

pickles7, Jul 23, 5:36am
Actually it is a medium-hot steak chili, inspired by a popular Mexican beef stew .

cookessentials, Jul 23, 10:08pm
Depends on what school you went to.
As the poster wants Chile Con Carne, I shall pop up the recipe I use shortly.

pickles7, Jul 23, 10:18pm
A little editing was required.

cookessentials, Aug 1, 12:12am
Here is one from Fiona

Fiona's Freakin Good Chilli

500g premium beef mince
1 chopped onion
2 cloves garlic chopped
2 bay leaves
oil - for frying
1 tin savoury tomatoes
1 tin mexican flavoured tomatoes
1/2 packet Old El Paso Chilli Seasoning (this gives a medium chilli)
1 glass red wine to deglaze the pan
2 Tbsp Tomato Paste
1/2 Can kernel corn (optional)
salt n pepper to taste
pinch of dried oregano (optional)
pinch of ground cumin (optional)
1 can Craig's Chilli Beans (mild)
1 Red Capsicum and 1 stalk of celery (add these if you can't find tinned savoury tomatoes)
1. Fry onions until softened a bit then add garlic and fry another minute - place in slow cooker.
2. Fry mince in oil in very small batches over high heat. You want the meat to caramelise and brown. Tip into slow cooker.
3. Fry tomato paste, this cooks out the raw tomato flavour - watch out for splashing! Add to cooker.
4. Deglaze pan with red wine, give a good stir to release any flavour bits from base of pan and add to slow cooker.
5. Add tinned toms, chilli mix, herbs, bay leaves etc to the slow cooker.
6. This should be a nice thick consistency, put lid on and leave for about 4 hours on high or all day on low. 1 hour before end add the corn and chilli beans.

This chiili is very tasty - is even betetr the next day if it hangs around. This recipe freezes well and makes enough for 4 - 5 adults.

fee1965 (195 ) 7:48 pm, Mon 13 Jun #367

esther-anne, Aug 1, 1:23am
Here's mine again - already posted in the other thread re chilli - it's one of the easiest to prepare and most delicious recipes I have. Not made with mince - mince is not our favourite way of eating meat except in Chilli Stuffed Peppers!

It's simple and easy and delicious: (but in Imperial measures! ) Serves 6 supposedly.

1lb lean 'stewing' steak (my preference is cross cut blade for slow cooking)
2 tbspns oil
I medium onion ( use two if they're small)
Clove garlic
either chopped fresh chillies if you have some (to taste) OR 1 level tbspn hot chilli powder or chilli flakes (again, to taste - we like it hot) mixed with 2 level tbspns flour.
Half a pint approx (300 ml) of beef stock - home made or if no home made, a stock cube. I only use the Massel ones.
1 can of peeled tomatoes - whole or diced - and the juice.
1 tspn caster sugar
Half tspn salt
can of red kidney beans

Cut the meat into small cubes discarding pieces of fat. Heat the oil in a large frying pan (or whatever you use for sauteing) and add the sliced onion. Saute gently until onion is soft. Add the finely chopped garlic and saute for a minute. Add the cubed meat and brown all over. Sprinkle mixed chilli powder and flour and stir gently until thoroughly blended. Gradually stir in HOT stock and bring to a simmer. Draw the pan off the heat and tip the contents into a casserole dish. Add the tomatoes, salt and sugar and stir well. Cover with a lid or with foil and cook in the centre of a 160 degree oven for 3 hours or until meat is tender. 15 minutes before the end of the cooking time add the drained red kidney beans. Serve with basmati rice, a green salad and crusty bread - or whatever you fancy obviously.

This may not be a lot of help to you OP but it might have some interest for the other poster recently who wanted a chilli recipe.

It is actually very quick to prepare - only as long as it took me to type this LOL!

esther-anne (33 ) 12:03 pm, Sat 27 Jul #4

cookessentials, Aug 1, 1:55am
Fabulous, that gives some great choices esther-anne

esther-anne, Aug 1, 7:12am
Thanks cookessentials - yes you can add as many different spices or herbs as you like, add veges too if wanted. Truth to tell I sometimes think that 'less is more' with some dishes and they are better for having had the KISS principle applied!

bev00, Aug 1, 11:06am
great variations on a theme

sarahb5, Aug 1, 11:17am
Same - I make mine up as I go along but basically stick to mince, onion, tomatoes, kidney beans, cocoa, beef stock and chilli seasoning - wouldn't pass any tests for authenticity but it tastes good and isn't that the most important thing?

tasmum, Aug 2, 1:59am
I have a vegetarian recipie using nutmeat in a chilli con carne. anyone want the recipie, let me know and I'll hunt it out. It's spicy but guess that depends on how much heat you enjoy. Quick and easy to make as well.