Sugar free homemade tomato sauce

rose-murray, Nov 9, 9:04pm
I want a recipe for home made tomato sauce that is refined sugar free. I also do not want to use sugar substitutes. Ideally using fruit as a sweetener (ie pineapple). Spicy is also good.
I just watched a programme I had recorded "the Truth about Sugar" They made a sauce on there but didn't give the recipe. I have been sugar free for quite a long time, but DH loves his Watties sauce and decided to stop using it after he saw the programme.
Any good recipes out there ?

gilligee, Nov 10, 12:18am
They used chopped up fresh pineapple, red onion, garlic and chillie and cooked it up. You could use your own choices but the pineapple provided the sweetness.

rose-murray, Nov 10, 12:32am
Thanks gilligee, I googled the programme when I got no response and it is a sweet and sour sauce that uses tomato paste not whole tomatoes. I wanted a recipe for bottled to replace the watties. I may have to experiment with regular recipes and replacing the sugar with pineapple. I suppose the sugar is also a preservative, but if I use sealed bottles it should last.

gilligee, Nov 10, 12:42am
You could freeze the bottles and defrost a bottle at a time as you used it.

rose-murray, Nov 10, 12:55am
Don't have much freezer space but it's an option to think about. Thanks.

lythande1, Nov 10, 2:38am
You can't do that. canned perhaps, but the sugar does act as a preservative.

Just stick with avoiding sugar in other ways. things made with vinegar need a certain amount of sugar to balance the sourness.
And how much sauce do you use on your chips anyway?

rose-murray, Nov 10, 3:09am
I don't eat chips. I don't have refined sugar at all. I can use fruit to sweeten something like sauce but I don't want to have to make it every time i get the urge for a little. Anyway as I said it is more for DH who has an unhealthy relationship with watties tomato sauce. I also said I can seal the bottles so that should be OK.

awoftam, Nov 10, 4:56am
2 x 440 gram tins whole peeled tomatoes
1/2 onion, chopped
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
1 T rice malt syrup (or 2 t granulated stevia; you could use crushed pineapple however the fructose would be higher than if you used BRS)
1 t each of cinnamon, ground allspice, ground cloves and half t cayenne pepper
sea salt and fresh ground black pepper

bring all ingredients to the boil, stir well then reduce heat and simmer for 50 minutes or until the sauce reduces by almost half and is quite thick. Blend with a stick blender or food processor. If still too runny for your liking return to heat to reduce.

Will keep for up to a month in the fridge. Freezes well too.

This tastes very hot when first made however mellows and is just YUM

Enjoy!

rose-murray, Nov 10, 7:55am
Thanks for that I will definitely try this one.
What is BRS ?

awoftam, Nov 10, 7:59am
Brown rice syrup - I should have said this instead of rice malt syrup (don't know where I got that name from lol), apologies.

rose-murray, Nov 10, 8:11am
Haven't used that before. Will have to get some.

buzzy110, Nov 15, 6:25am
Malt syrup, whatever grain it comes from, is, by definition, sugar.

I made a sugar free tomato sauce by slow roasting the tomatoes till most of the liquid had evaporated.

From memory (because I made it up) I did the following:
Sauteed onions & celery in olive oil
Then I added spices (Toasted for seeds and then ground in my coffee grinder - but curry powder will probably work just as well if you are feeling lazy) and continued sauteing to bring out the flavour.
Fresh herbs went in next - always use basil and whatever else I fancy
Followed by the roasted tomatoes and some apple cider vinegar and cooked for 10-15mins till the vegetables were soft.

Whizz the whole lot up and put into jars, plastic containers, etc.

I only made enough to last me a few weeks. I'm not big on freezing and I doubted that the sauce would last, even if I had sealed it into small jars and processed them.

The result was not the same as ketchup (which I presume is what you are after) but still made a great sauce.

If I did it again I would probably add carrots to the slow roasting part to add 'thickening' and sweetness. Possibly, if more sweet was required, a few dates wouldn't hurt.

awoftam, Nov 15, 7:25am
Yeah yeah buzzy - but define sugar. I try to stay away from fructose and that's the recipe I posted. If we get too anal we wouldn't eat because tomatoes (among other things) contain sugar. So lets all just agree to post what we know and do, and forget about trying to pretend we, or our recipes are better than anyone else's. As I am sure if asked, our Mothers would disagree. And we all know our Mum was the best.

uli, Nov 15, 9:24pm
Ahhh - no way was my mums food the best.
I started cooking at about 10 or 11 because I had enough of the stodgy meals we had. years later i heard tales of my mum cooking my recipes for her guests proudly announcing that i "invented" them when i was a teenager.

uli, Nov 15, 9:47pm
Now I guess you mean what the Americans call ketchup? What everyone uses at the table? Not a tomato sauce to go with pasta?

I was caught out once without the red stuff in the fridge as I rarely use it and we had pan fried fish - and "chips" made from fresh spuds in the oven. So the crowd demanded "ketchup" to go with the chips and of course Tartare Sauce to go with the fish. So while I whipped up the mayo and chopped the gherkins I wondered how to make the red stuff.

This is what I mixed together:
a big tin of tomato paste (make sure it is PASTE! The Italian organic stuff I use has nothing added to it - it is plain cooked down tomatoes and very thick)
approx 4 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar and approx 1 Tablespoon of hot English mustard
salt to taste, maybe half a teaspoon
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon cloves
and then I carefully added some water (maybe a quarter cup) until it had the consistency I liked.
Being a sucker for garlic I chopped quite a bit into it as well because I thought it might make it keep longer and taste better.

No-one figured out that this was not store bought (I have some squeeze bottles that I wash and re-use for sauces like my own plum sauce which I prefer to ketchup any time).

It also tasted better a week later when the spices and garlic had worked their magic. I cannot remember how long I kept it but it was in the fridge all the time and did not go off.

buzzy110, Nov 16, 2:58am
Sorry awoftam if I gave you offence. None was intended. I did not think, at all that my made up recipe was better than yours, which is probably superior by virtue of the fact that it is not a made up one.

Please feel free to tell me off in the future if you think that my attempts to conform to the actual request is in some way seen as superior and I will try and not be so literal.

Perhaps this recipe will be more acceptable:

Paleo Rich Ketchup Sauce:
1 pound fresh plum tomatoes + 1 pound canned plum tomatoes, or 2 pounds fresh plum tomatoes, chopped;
1 large onion, chopped;
1/2 fennel bulb, chopped;
1 celery stick, cut in cubes;
Fresh piece of ginger, about the size of a thumb, chopped;
2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped;
1/2 red chili, seeded and chopped finely;
Large bunch of fresh basil, picked leaves and chopped stalks;
1 tbsp coriander seeds;
2 cloves garlic;
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper;
Extra virgin olive oil;
3/4 cup + 2 tbsp red wine, balsamic or apple cider vinegar;
Sea salt to taste;

Preparation

Place the onion, fennel and celery in a large saucepan with some olive oil, the ginger, garlic, chopped chili, basil stalks, coriander seeds and garlic cloves and season with salt and the 1 tsp black pepper.
Over a low heat, cook for about 12 minutes, until the vegetables have softened, stirring occasionally.
Add 1 1/2 cups water and the tomatoes. Let simmer gently until the liquid is reduced by half.
Add the basil leaves, pour the sauce in a blender or food processor and process until very smooth.
Strain the sauce through a sieve into a clean saucepan and add the vinegar.
Simmer again until it reaches the desired ketchup consistency. Adjust the seasoning to taste.
Cool in the refrigerator and enjoy. This ketchup recipe can be bottled in sterilized jars and kept for up to 6 months in a cool dark place.

http://paleoleap.com/homemade-paleo-condiments/#s2

And just to show that I am not trying to be anal perhaps rose-murray would like to add malt syrup to the recipe.

uli, Nov 16, 3:05am
I think that is one of Jamie Olivers recipes buzzy110.
I never made it as it has so many ingred's :)

rose-murray, Nov 16, 7:40pm
Thank you to buzzy and uli for your recipes. I will try them both (and the other recipes posters have offered). Can't use dates because DH is allergic to dates (along with bananas, sultanas, raisins ). Will try using pineapple. Just needs a bit of experimenting doesn't it ? Many years ago I used to make a fantastic tomato sauce but it did have a whopping amount of sugar in it. I have lost that recipe and I was living in nelson at the time. One of the chemist shops used to sell a bottle of additive that you put into the sauce as part of the recipe. I think it was possibly a mix of citric acid and oil of cloves (or something like that, it added a real nice zing to the sauce).

daarhn, Nov 16, 7:57pm
My Slow Roasted Tomato Sauce

roughly chop
2-3 kg ripe tomatoes, 1 kg brown onions, head garlic and chilli if you like a bit of heat. Or adjust amounts to amount bottles, jars, pan size etc.

Toss together in large roasting pan with half bottle olive oil and mortar pestled sea salt and pepper.

Slow roast 4-5 hours until everything breaks down and then caramelizes. Stir every now and then to mix. The water content will evaporate and oil process will kick in as it reduces.

Either use as a relish or process until sauce like and bottle hot.

I also add sultanas, capsicums, apples, fejoas or guava for something more festive and relish/ chutney like. Makes a naturally sweetened sauce as well.

I do this in bulk every season for many years. Simple, effective and ideal at BYO BarbyQs, picnics, gifts and every day use. Stir through a dip, for cold meats, cheese platters, pastries, pizza sauce.

daarhn, Jun 16, 9:09am
Sugar Free Ketchup
Prep Time: 30 minutes

15 minutes

Total Time: 45 minutes

Serving Size: 300g

Sugar free ketchup sweetened with stevia, lower carbs no added sugar perfect for diabetic

Ingredients

1/2 cup tomato puree (150g)- preferably organic, no nasties added
1/2 cup tomato paste (140g)- no added salt and preferably organic, no nasties added
3 small brown onion, finely chopped
2 tablespoon organic natvia
3 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon ground paprika
1/2 teaspoon dried (or fresh) oregano
1 tablespoon olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
Instructions

In a saucepan under medium heat warm the olive oil.
Add the finely chopped onions, garlic and paprika.
Fry until the onions gets softer and well coated by the ground roasted paprika. It could take 3-4 minutes.
Reduce to low heat and stir in the tomato paste and apple cider vinegar. Simmer for 1-2 minutes while constantly stirring with a spoon or spatula .
Stir in the tomato puree, natvia and dried oregano.
Reduce to low heat and simmer for 2 more minutes until the liquid thicken.
Adjust with salt and pepper if desired.
Remove from heat and using an immersion mixer blend until smooth.
Store in the fridge up to 1 week in a glass mason jar or airtight container.