Looking for Nice Christmas Mincemeat.

Page 1 / 2
ubuthebirman, Nov 22, 12:42am
For years I have bought Ernest Adams (in red container) Christmas mincemeat. I have been to nearly every supermarket in our local area & all they have on the shelves is 'Tastie' brand. Have made one batch, but finding this mincemeat tastless, sugery & stiff. Dont really want to make my own,
Any body come across another brand?

cookessentials, Nov 22, 12:56am
From the Great Christmas recipe thread
Spiced Fruit Mince 750g sultanas;750g raisins,chopped;450g currants;500g seeded dates,chopped;500g seeded prunes,chopped;400g green skinned apples,peeled,grated;200g brown sugar;2 tbsp finely grated orange rind;1 tbsp mixed spice;2 tsp ground cloves;1/2 cup plum jam;375ml brandy. Mix all together in a lge bowl. Cover tightly with plastic wrap.Store in cool dark place or fridge for 3 days before using. Can be kept under refrigeration for up to six months.

brianmac (138 138 positive feedback) 3:14 pm, Sat 12 Aug #2

245sam, Nov 22, 1:33am
ubutthebirman, have you tried this one?

http://shop.countdown.co.nz/#url=/Shop/ProductDetails%3FStockcode%3D367683%26name%3Danathoth-fruit-mince-traditional%26search%3Dfruit%2Bmincemeat

We enjoyed it when it was marketed under the Barker's (of Geraldine) brand. :-))

popeye333, Nov 22, 2:26am
I use the one Alison Holst makes,. You have grated granny smith apples in it. And you cook it then use it. Can type it up later if you like.
Its nice and moist and full of flavour

spotswood, Nov 22, 3:23am
I agree with Popeye .I have been using Alison Holsts recipe for years now,and I think it's still one of the nicest fruit minces there is! In fact there's some made up waiting for the pastry in my fridge !

village.green, Nov 22, 3:29am
I'm sure I have been buying Duerr's English mincemeat from NW for the past few years, mind you it sells out quickly at this time of the year.

katalin2, Nov 22, 4:01am
I have also been using Alison Holst's recipe for many years. Just throw everything in the food processor, put in a jar cover with brandy, takes less than 5 minutes. Popeye, my recipe doesn't need to be cooked first, you can use it immediately you make it.

ubuthebirman, Nov 22, 5:55am
Thk u everybody for the helpfull recipes & info.:)
if I dont make my own, I will look for Anthols mincemeat, didnt even know they made one, that Tastie brand one is awfull!

edlin, Nov 22, 6:06am
I do one with grated apple and brandy too. It's much nicer than anything you can buy. I have some in the fridge all the time and add to apple pies in the winter. I make it twice a year so in my mind it is not just for Christmas any more

nauru, Nov 22, 7:41am
I use this one too and it's great keeper and no cooking. Just top it with some brandy, rum or whiskey and it keeps really well.

sarahb5, Nov 22, 8:30am
I always add grated orange rind, a grated apple and some brandy to the tubs of shop bought fruit mince

sarahb5, Nov 22, 8:40am
Countdown has Anathoth fruit mince in two varieties - traditional and berry fruits which sounds much nicer than the traditional one so I think I'll give it a go

malcovy, Nov 22, 9:32am
Anathoth traditional fruit mince is good.

sarahb5, Nov 22, 8:50pm
I think I used it last year - had less stalks and pips - I look the sound of the berries version though

antoniab, Nov 22, 9:50pm
Im giving the River Cottage one a go this year - just need to buy some brandy. It has pears (as well as apples) and crystalized ginger in it, along with the other 'usuals'.

sarahb5, Nov 22, 11:21pm
Anathoth is on special at Countdown this week - $5 a tub but quite hard to find, well tucked away at the back of our local store

deanna14, Nov 23, 5:28am
I always use a bought one and add some whiskey, yum.

timetable, Nov 23, 6:09am
i make the allison holst one - if you want the recipe am happy to post - its quick and easy is lovely and moist and not too rich - i make it in sept and leave it in the fridge to do its thing - just awesome and never a fail!

pheonix4, Nov 23, 6:22am
check out 'bin inn'
got some there last year

ubuthebirman, Nov 23, 7:51am
Thk u everybody, have bought Anathoth today, small pottle so wont go far.
I emailed Goodman Fielder and asked abt Ernest Adams mincemeat when available or out of production. Reply came back this mincemeat will be available in a few weeks,. shame as its a bit close to Xmas .

sarahb5, Nov 23, 8:53am
Still gives you plenty of time before Christmas to make your mince pies though

clawed2, Nov 26, 8:40am
Cranberr Mince
1cup dried cranberries, flavoured ones if liked
1 and a third cups cranberry juice
4 th brown sugar
2 tb candied peel
Bring to boil then simmer for 20 mins or until jam like.
Cool then process. Nice in sweet pastry cases for a change

sarahb5, Dec 21, 9:18am
The Anathoth berry mince is absolutely delucious

dabo, Dec 23, 6:44pm
Don't give up with Tasti - it was all I could get and it's inexpensive so I revamped it and had nice comments about my end product. To the Tasti mincemeat I added ¼ cup each of cranberries, dried apricots and dried apple (apricots and apple chopped) some grated orange rind and a good slug of Cointreau! If you don't want the booze fresh orange juice is good.

seaspray1, Dec 23, 7:49pm
You're right - the Bin Inn fruit mince is very nice. So is their cake fruit.