Eggs - Keep in fridge or not

Page 2 / 2
uli, Jan 4, 5:37am
Sorry and tough on you! - So never buy anything there - the supermarket must be so much safer . and the eggs so much better.

samanya, Jan 4, 5:42am
Fine .but not everyone lives in Whangarei, do they!

uli, Jan 4, 5:46am
That is why I said - go and buy the SUPERMARKET EGGS ladies!
I hope YOU do as you seem to have more interest in the subject than OP!

samanya, Jan 4, 5:51am
Don't you actually read threads before you jump in!
As I said way back at #5 .I too, have my own chooks!

kay141, Jan 4, 6:11am
No, I never buy eggs at the supermarket. In fact, I buy very little food there.

samanya, Jan 4, 10:21pm
Nice one uli.
You postproves a point.

village.green, Jan 4, 10:24pm
Out for us as we get through at least 2 dozen a week so used up quickly, also I don't think I would have the room in my fridge for them.

avoking, Jan 4, 11:02pm
The answer really depends on the production method.
In the UK they don't chill eggs in the supermarkets, in other European countries they do. This is particularly interesting as there are differences even within the EU member states.
Not sure if all states within the US refrigerate them but when I visited few times the area we were in all stores sold chilled eggs only.
There is no harm in storing eggs in the fridge and if you don't know the production process (were the eggs washed after being laid and sprayed! or were the chickens vaccinated! etc).

And supermarkets do sell organic free range etc eggs these days. Gone are the days when one could buy only eggs from caged hens.
Our own food safety NZ recommends:
non chilled eggs shelf life - 21 days
chilled ones - 35 days
and
that eggs should be kept out of direct sunlight.

Surely, if you were selling eggs then you'd know the regulations and legal requirements here, (never mind what you did or didn't do outside of NZ)!- not you OP.

avoking, Jan 4, 11:04pm
so they changed the NZ laws to implement their own rules!
NZ law allows to sell 'on behalf' :D, even non growers, just different rules apply.

rainrain1, Jan 4, 11:32pm
No room in my fridge for eggs, they are on the bench always

moggie, Jan 4, 11:35pm
Can I use eggs that have expired 2 days ago

samanya, Jan 4, 11:39pm
Aaah .some facts at last.

samanya, Jan 5, 12:05am

buzzy110, Jan 5, 1:07am
Uli wrote:

So just to clarify the whole issue.

The law permits on-selling of grower's eggs by middlemen.

Farmer's markets do not allow middlemen. You can only sell what you produce.

I think this rule is designed so that customers can have confidence in the integrity of the market.

I wonder if the market owners visit stall owners to check out their credentials.

uli, Jan 5, 3:51am
Ours do buzzy110 (visit stall owners to check out their credentials).

They have been on Country Calendar a few times because they were the first "Growers Market" as opposed to the "Farmers Markets" we have elsewhere in NZ. They are very keen to point out the difference.

I am very interested why avoking who never posted in "recipes" before is now here and . knows all about me . a bit puzzling.

kay141, Jan 5, 4:08am
What's the puzzle! They may have been reading and following the boards for years without posting and now have decided to post. But they may have also posted in Recipes and other threads irregularly. It is not uncommon for members to read these boards but only post occasionally.

avoking, Jan 5, 4:22am
lol I never posted!
short memory!
karma is a # aye!

avoking, Jan 5, 4:27am
of course they don't visit or check the credentials, the claims are to have a point of difference and to draw the crowds in. Marketing ploy nothing else.

The 'middlemen' rules are silly, plenty of growers use friends/family/employees to on sell. How on earth is one supposed to fit everything into 24hrs. Growing/producing and also marketing/selling!
Besides, plenty of Farmers and Growers markets allow fundraisers at times - guess what rules apply to fund raisers! :D :D :D

samanya, Jan 5, 4:27am
oooh, I love conspiracy theories .maybe it's me, in disguise, or maybe its bean_pod ora mr waterplants!

avoking, Jan 5, 4:30am
maybe is the same poster with own multi IDs! plenty of weird stuff happened over the years on here.
sorry, my BS meter just got fixed and finally got fed up with all the threads being ruined. Thought it was the growing season and we had a little break. But nooooooo, even light fun threads like the top 5 kitchen wants/must got ruined. Was enjoying reading those.

avoking, Jan 5, 4:31am
And buzzy and me are long time friends.
Buzzy has always been nice to me :D.

samanya, Jan 5, 4:36am
She's always been just so gracious & charming to me too, right from the very first post I ever wrote in recipes .I apparently got it all wrong, but she put me straight in a tactful. delightful way. So charming in fact that I almost was scared to post again.

kay141, Jan 5, 4:39am
I know the feeling. I think I copped from day one. I thought they were in charge and only read the posts for ages before I plucked up the courage to say something and then only because the information given was so wrong. It wasn't in recipes.

samanya, Jan 5, 5:02am
But I'm sure you learned heaps by the lovely way that you were steered in the correct direction, by such constructive advice .hey, kay141, you are still here & contributing, in spite of the UBer twins!